First Chuckar

bowhuntmontana

Went out this morning with a friend of mine mainly to chase a few rabbits and then do some practice with our rifles. There are some chuckar up on the steep rocky faces in this area. While we were walking the lower country for rabbits, we could hear multiple groups of birds up high. We decided to head that way. We actually glassed up a group of them in some rocks. We went after them and came very close, but didn't get any from that group. We kept spotting or hearing other groups, so we kept climbing and covering ground. I finally connected on my first bird on the wing. I was feeling pretty fortunate as I actually had my turkey choke in for the longer range jack rabbit shooting I was expecting, and I am a lousy shot with a shotgun. I could not wipe the smile off my face the whole time we were hunting them. The country was stunning and physically challenging, there were enough birds making enough noise that we felt like we had a chance without a dog, and getting a bird was a total bonus. It was awesome! These birds are absolutely beautiful. I have taken a lot of huns, sharpies, blues, pheasants, and other birds. But I've never had as much fun chasing birds as much as these chuckar. I think I know what I will be doing quite a bit next winter.

20180210_102755.jpg

Nice pic. Planning to retire in two years and also plan to hunt chukar for the first time (of hopefully many) at age 58. Looking forward to feeling the burn:rolleyes:.

Nice pic. Planning to retire in two years and also plan to hunt chukar for the first time (of hopefully many) at age 58. Looking forward to feeling the burn:rolleyes:.

There is a definite burn involved. I figured that after consumption, I will probably still be at a 300 to 400 calorie deficit for this bird. Best workout of my week!

Have not eaten chukar, yet, but this is one idea for good eating.
Cut the breasts in cross grain strips (or leave whole if preferred), egg and buttermilk dip, flour and choice of seasonings - I use a lot different Mrs. Dash, must include lemon pepper:) - double dip and double batter the strips/breasts and pan fry to temp. Dip tasty morsels in warm honey.
We use this easy recipe on any and all MT upland species. mmmmmm.......

Have not eaten chukar, yet, but this is one idea for good eating.
Cut the breasts in cross grain strips (or leave whole if preferred), egg and buttermilk dip, flour and choice of seasonings - I use a lot different Mrs. Dash, must include lemon pepper:) - double dip and double batter the strips/breasts and pan fry to temp. Dip tasty morsels in warm honey.
We use this easy recipe on any and all MT upland species. mmmmmm.......

Nice. I like the idea of dipping it in honey too. Thanks.

There is always an open invite. On public land, of course.

Last edited by a moderator:
When my daughter was growing up she used to tell people that her favorite meal was "Chukar Nuggets". People would smile and say "Oh sweetie, you must mean chicken nuggets". She would give them a look of disgust and say "No, I mean Chukar Nuggets". When she returned from University this Christmas break, her first request from me was to go get some more birds so that she could have her favorite meal while she was in town. My GSP Rudy and I were more than happy to make that possible.

Last edited:
I have heard they are quite good. I'll be eating this one tonight or Sunday and will report back. If anyone has any recommendations on how to prepare it, let me know.

Coq au vin
Orange chicken style
Kung pao

Hank Shaw has some really outstanding recipes too.

I learned a valuable lesson from my friends that were native Nevadans when I lived there. Hunt Chukar from the top down. I hunted those birds diligently for years till I killed one on my own. My wife thought I was cheating I was gone so much. Then I met some guys with dogs, and more importantly, knowledge. They taste great and are an absolute blast to hunt. mtmuley

Thanks gentlemen. Did a simple saute in olive oil tonight with light seasoning. Absolutely delicious! Even if they didn't taste so good, I think I would still want to go back. It felt like a sheep hunt for a one pound bird. Except that there were more and more sheep over the mountain, if you could get to them......if.

"............It felt like a sheep hunt for a one pound bird. Except that there were more and more sheep over the mountain,............."

Yup. Haven't hunted chukars, but have chased my girls up and down a 1000 ft to hunt blues. Covered many miles of central MT big coulee country in a single day after huns, sharpies, and roosters. It ain't gentlemanly - you sweat, step into badger holes, bust through buffaloberry and hawthorn, and hump to keep up with world class four legged athletes as they top a coulee rim 100 yds ahead of you after running roosters. Love it all. You get to put a number of birds, maybe mixed species, in your bag - then get to do it again tomorrow. Shoot your sheep (or elk, or deer, or antelope, or etc) and you are done for the year. Not that it's better than big four legged critter hunting, but it's different in really good ways - one being a bird is a flying target:D. Look forward to a chukar adventure......

Last edited:
Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tmich05
Back