Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Any Mountain Bikers here?

Mountain biking is one of my favorite sports, it also helps me stay in shape for hunting. At age 58 we all agree keeping in shape is paramount. Anybody else? My ride is a 2016 Santa Cruz 5010 CC full carbon frame, Nox Composites wheels, and an MRP Stage front fork.

I am not in favor of bikes in Wilderness!

Cheers,

BeanMan
    Hasbean

Blog Entries

I used to be a half-hearted mtn. biker. Hated it. Beat the snot outta' me. Rattled my teeth loose. Of course my ride was a 1987 Specialized Rockhopper. Steel frame. Spoke wheels. Steel rigid front forks. Steel seat post. Not a shock absorbing thing on that bike. Bought a gel aftermarket seat and thought I was living large. Realized that if I want to keep climbing the mountains, I better stop attempting to ride a bike in them.
    That same bike is now 31 years old and still in my possession -in decent shape. I ride it on smooth pavement, bike paths and if I get really extreme - on some gravel. It's retro, dude.
    I'm pretty sure if I woulda' tried to keep "mountain biking", I wouldn't still be hunting blue grouse, elk, and muleys in high country. Of course, maybe I tended to have to pick myself up off the dirt and rock more than others.......
    Glad to see you are in the "not in wilderness area" camp.

I've almost always had a bike of some sort to ride. Currently really enjoying my Specialized Fat Boy. Carbon forks and hydraulic brakes make it the nicest bike I've owned. It's a little heavier than a regular Mt Bike but I live at the beach and spend a lot of time riding in the sand so it works well. We have a lot of gated private timber land and the fat tire bike comes in handy to cover some ground!

Cant get photo bucket to work anymore but here is a link to my Instagram page. This is the top of Cape Kiwanda which is one of the biggest sand dunes on the Oregon Coast.
    https://www.instagram.com/p/Bbyi2SNl...-by=joehulburt

Name:  FB_IMG_1518250515836.jpg
Views: 271
Size:  57.5 KBName:  FB_IMG_1518250462138.jpg
Views: 276
Size:  65.9 KBName:  FB_IMG_1518250549941.jpg
Views: 270
Size:  130.3 KB
    DISCLAIMER: Many of my posts are made via phone, aurocorrect and tiny keyboards are my enemy....
    http://www.predatoroptics.com/
    http://theronoptics.com

I purchased a Salsa Mukluk fat bike last spring. It’s the first bike I’ve owned since my bmx bike 20 years ago. I got it with the intention of mainly using it for hunting and shrooning, but the first time I took it on the local single track I was hooked. The 12 mile loop takes me about an hour and when I’m finished I’m completely spent, but with a smile on my face.

I have not found a better way to stay in shape while having fun. It was a great purchase for me. Antelope hunting off of it this past fall was very effective. I get smoked on the single track by my buddy with normal sized tires, but the fatties sure are nice on the sandy roads where we hunt.

Love to mountain bike, although I find my aversion to risk while riding increases dramatically as hunting season approaches.

Niner Jet 9 bought off of Craigslist.

Name:  65F5DDD4-6635-4F7B-BFDA-8E67B00529F8.jpg
Views: 259
Size:  70.8 KB
    Fear the beard....

Smooth asphalt, first of June, Colorado Rockies....

Finished by Ken, on Flickr

Bought my first mountain bike in '86. Moved to Montana in 87. It's been a passion ever since ,amongst many. I have ridden quite a bit in Utah but also Wyoming, Idaho, and Washington. My '97 Kona has been rebuilt 2-3 times. Looking forward to a March trip this year to St.George.

My early 90's vintage Gary Fisher Mt Tam bike has been fun to ride on trails around Bozeman and Helena, where there are some really great opportunities for mountain biking. Admittedly, many of the trails are too challenging for my biking abilities, but I am impressed with where other riders can go with pedal power. The trail improvements for bikes both around Bozeman and Helena reflect positively on behalf of the mounting biker organized groups.

Come on up, NHY, Yellowstone Harley north of Yellowstone Park would love to service and shine your beautiful "bike".

Come on up, NHY
    On my someday soon list Straight Arrow....

I've logged thousands of miles on skinny tires, less on fat knobbies....don't miss em one iota. Schmalts, you need to do something safer...like being shot out of a cannon or bull riding.
    Last edited by noharleyyet; 02-10-2018 at 08:54 AM.

Blog Entries

[QUOTE=noharleyyet;2685847]On my someday soon list Straight Arrow....

Beartooth Highway on your "mountain bike", NHY. You will not regret it..................
    Go in August or wear a lotta' Patagonia fleece under your leathers.......
    Name:  IMGP0478.jpg
Views: 221
Size:  67.9 KB
    Last edited by onpoint; 02-10-2018 at 09:06 AM.

Beartooth Highway... You will not regret it..................
    Absolutely, thanks for the pic.

I love mountain biking. Currently have a 29” Gary Fisher full suspension. Great way to stay in shape!

I thoroughly enjoy mt biking but it's remained a side activity for me. I'm still pumpin away on a late '90s Trek hardtail, Costco special, but it's still competitive weight wise, and while I can't hit the DH quite as hard a newer full suspensions, I manage to hold me own.
    Elitist Hunter

"Never let schooling [work] get in the way of your education" - Mark Twain

I’ve got a Giant Trance 2. I’ve spent a lot of time out in the Springs of CO and also Boulder area.

I love to ride, I competed a decent amount in college but now it's just a good excuse to get outside with the dog and get some exercise. I have a Trek 27.5" that gets the job done for me.

My wife and I rode 4 miles out a spit yesterday to collect driftwood and do a little bottom fishing. Fat tires work great in the sand.
    https://www.instagram.com/p/BfFnP3HF...-by=joehulburt

HERE! Love my mountain bike, good way to keep in shape during the off season but haven't been able to do it as much as I use too with just having a daughter and our summer sampling season. Although walking up and down streams sampling biology for 12 hours also keeps you in good shape. If you are ever in MN consider heading to the Cuyuna Mountain Bike Trails. http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/state_tra...mtnbiking.html
    To what avail are forty freedoms without a blank spot on the map?

Oh yea! I think mountain biking is one of the best ways to keep in shape for hunting season. I have a Giant Trance from a few years back but about to pull the trigger on a new Santa Cruz Tallboy. Would love to ride in somewhere for a hunt.

[QUOTE=JLS;2685830]Love to mountain bike, although I find my aversion to risk while riding increases dramatically as hunting season approaches.

I hear that, I had drawn a Colorado unit 61 bull tag a few years ago and separated my right AC shoulder joint going over the bars a week before the hunt. I got to turn the tag back and get my points back, it took me two more years to draw again.
    Hasbean

Blog Entries

[QUOTE=Phaseolus;2686592]
    Quote Originally Posted by JLS View Post
    Love to mountain bike, although I find my aversion to risk while riding increases dramatically as hunting season approaches.

I hear that, I had drawn a Colorado unit 61 bull tag a few years ago and separated my right AC shoulder joint going over the bars a week before the hunt. I got to turn the tag back and get my points back, it took me two more years to draw again.
    "I'm pretty sure if I woulda' tried to keep "mountain biking", I wouldn't still be hunting blue grouse, elk, and muleys in high country. Of course, maybe I tended to have to pick myself up off the dirt and rock more than others......."
    Never missed a hunt due to a extreme dude incident, nuff said
    "Man's got to know his limitations" Dirty Harry

Quote Originally Posted by noharleyyet View Post
    Smooth asphalt, first of June, Colorado Rockies....

Finished by Ken, on Flickr
    Does someone need to change their handle?
    "The mountains are calling and I must go." - John Muir

I thought I was going to do myself a favor by selling a carbon Trek superfly hardtail for a fuel full sus I got a heck of a deal on. Way too much bike, sold it to get my money out, and regret selling the superfly to this day. Luckily i have seen the guy I sold it to riding it, so at least its not sitting. Name:  IMG-1520.jpg
Views: 94
Size:  115.9 KB

24. Default

Mountain biking is a long time similar passion to my hunting, I think I mountain biked in 13? states but only hunted 10. I've messed around with XC and short track racing, but mostly I race a ton of cyclocross.
    I got more into endurance events a few years ago and did the Leadville 100 2 years ago and the far harder Park City Point to Point last year coming from nearly sea level.

I've got a BMC Speedfox right now and had a Felt Nine3 before when I did Leadville.

Crusoe,

You are a stud! 24 hours of Old Pueblo is next weekend, wish I was going to be there.
    Hasbean

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast