Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Any Mountain Bikers here?

Phaseolus

Mountain biking is one of my favorite sports, it also helps me stay in shape for hunting. At age 58 we all agree keeping in shape is paramount. Anybody else? My ride is a 2016 Santa Cruz 5010 CC full carbon frame, Nox Composites wheels, and an MRP Stage front fork.

I am not in favor of bikes in Wilderness!

Cheers,

BeanMan

I used to be a half-hearted mtn. biker. Hated it. Beat the snot outta' me. Rattled my teeth loose. Of course my ride was a 1987 Specialized Rockhopper. Steel frame. Spoke wheels. Steel rigid front forks. Steel seat post. Not a shock absorbing thing on that bike. Bought a gel aftermarket seat and thought I was living large. Realized that if I want to keep climbing the mountains, I better stop attempting to ride a bike in them.:W:
That same bike is now 31 years old and still in my possession -in decent shape. I ride it on smooth pavement, bike paths and if I get really extreme - on some gravel. It's retro, dude.
I'm pretty sure if I woulda' tried to keep "mountain biking", I wouldn't still be hunting blue grouse, elk, and muleys in high country. Of course, maybe I tended to have to pick myself up off the dirt and rock more than others.......
Glad to see you are in the "not in wilderness area" camp.

I've almost always had a bike of some sort to ride. Currently really enjoying my Specialized Fat Boy. Carbon forks and hydraulic brakes make it the nicest bike I've owned. It's a little heavier than a regular Mt Bike but I live at the beach and spend a lot of time riding in the sand so it works well. We have a lot of gated private timber land and the fat tire bike comes in handy to cover some ground!

Cant get photo bucket to work anymore but here is a link to my Instagram page. This is the top of Cape Kiwanda which is one of the biggest sand dunes on the Oregon Coast.
https://www.instagram.com/p/Bbyi2SNlTA3/?taken-by=joehulburt

I purchased a Salsa Mukluk fat bike last spring. It’s the first bike I’ve owned since my bmx bike 20 years ago. I got it with the intention of mainly using it for hunting and shrooning, but the first time I took it on the local single track I was hooked. The 12 mile loop takes me about an hour and when I’m finished I’m completely spent, but with a smile on my face.

I have not found a better way to stay in shape while having fun. It was a great purchase for me. Antelope hunting off of it this past fall was very effective. I get smoked on the single track by my buddy with normal sized tires, but the fatties sure are nice on the sandy roads where we hunt.

Love to mountain bike, although I find my aversion to risk while riding increases dramatically as hunting season approaches.

Niner Jet 9 bought off of Craigslist.

65F5DDD4-6635-4F7B-BFDA-8E67B00529F8.jpg

Bought my first mountain bike in '86. Moved to Montana in 87. It's been a passion ever since ,amongst many. I have ridden quite a bit in Utah but also Wyoming, Idaho, and Washington. My '97 Kona has been rebuilt 2-3 times. Looking forward to a March trip this year to St.George.

My early 90's vintage Gary Fisher Mt Tam bike has been fun to ride on trails around Bozeman and Helena, where there are some really great opportunities for mountain biking. Admittedly, many of the trails are too challenging for my biking abilities, but I am impressed with where other riders can go with pedal power. The trail improvements for bikes both around Bozeman and Helena reflect positively on behalf of the mounting biker organized groups.

Come on up, NHY, Yellowstone Harley north of Yellowstone Park would love to service and shine your beautiful "bike".

Come on up, NHY

On my someday soon list Straight Arrow....

I've logged thousands of miles on skinny tires, less on fat knobbies....don't miss em one iota. Schmalts, you need to do something safer...like being shot out of a cannon or bull riding.;)

Last edited:
I love mountain biking. Currently have a 29” Gary Fisher full suspension. Great way to stay in shape!

I thoroughly enjoy mt biking but it's remained a side activity for me. I'm still pumpin away on a late '90s Trek hardtail, Costco special, but it's still competitive weight wise, and while I can't hit the DH quite as hard a newer full suspensions, I manage to hold me own.

I love to ride, I competed a decent amount in college but now it's just a good excuse to get outside with the dog and get some exercise. I have a Trek 27.5" that gets the job done for me.

HERE! Love my mountain bike, good way to keep in shape during the off season but haven't been able to do it as much as I use too with just having a daughter and our summer sampling season. Although walking up and down streams sampling biology for 12 hours also keeps you in good shape. If you are ever in MN consider heading to the Cuyuna Mountain Bike Trails. http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/state_trails/cuyuna_lakes/mtnbiking.html

Oh yea! I think mountain biking is one of the best ways to keep in shape for hunting season. I have a Giant Trance from a few years back but about to pull the trigger on a new Santa Cruz Tallboy. Would love to ride in somewhere for a hunt.

Love to mountain bike, although I find my aversion to risk while riding increases dramatically as hunting season approaches.

I hear that, I had drawn a Colorado unit 61 bull tag a few years ago and separated my right AC shoulder joint going over the bars a week before the hunt. I got to turn the tag back and get my points back, it took me two more years to draw again.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back