$800 to $1000 vortex, leupold or some other brand scope?

Vortex has great customer service. Had to use it on a spotting scope broken new in the box. No more Chinese stuff for me. mtmuley

My understanding is some Vortex stuff is made in China. An article I read recently said the new rangefinding binos are made in China for example.

I would personally spend the $800 -$1000 on the binoculars and the $500-$600 on the scope. You're going to spend more time behind the binos than the scope.

My understanding is some Vortex stuff is made in China. An article I read recently said the new rangefinding binos are made in China for example.

I believe all Vortex products are now made in China with the exception of the AMG line of rifle scopes. mtmuley

Swaro anything and nightforce anything. Cannot go wrong with those.

Are you looking for custom adjustable scope for distance and wind? If you are not, you could lower your price point a little bit and still end up with a good scope. It seems like users between Leupold and Vortex are always in a great debate. Remember there are good and bad experiences like every other product out there. Personally, I prefer Vortex now. I do have Leupold scopes, they do a great job, but I also will not be replacing them with Vortex. Personal preference on companies. I truly believe no matter which of those two companies you choose from, in that price range you will have an excellent scope with no issues. Each glass will be great but you'll have a personal preference based off of your vision. I would try and get both side by side for comparison inside and outside for your final decision on companies. For binos I have 10x42 and they are great. I have a friend with 12x and we switched for a few days. Really enjoyed them, and no issues with out a tripod either.

On some of these forums there seems to be a lot of people saying the durability of the Vortex scopes is not great, but a few people have said they really liked them. Anyone with personal experience? I'm looking for a new scope and was thinking either the Vortex Crossfire II, Leupold VX-3HD, or Leupold VX-Freedom. I don't want to risk bumping my scope off while carrying it through the woods for the rare opportunity for a shot on an elk.

On some of these forums there seems to be a lot of people saying the durability of the Vortex scopes is not great, but a few people have said they really liked them. Anyone with personal experience? I'm looking for a new scope and was thinking either the Vortex Crossfire II, Leupold VX-3HD, or Leupold VX-Freedom. I don't want to risk bumping my scope off while carrying it through the woods for the rare opportunity for a shot on an elk.
You'll find a lot on this forum are leupold fan boys and vortex haters. I can use either and be happy. With that being said, the crossfire doesn't hold a candle to the vx-3hd imo.

I've had a vortex diamondback and leupold freedom side by side for a couple years, the vortex is okay but the leupold is slightly crisper and just feels higher quality. They're both budget scopes but the leupold was a little more (vortex was dirt cheap on black Friday is why I tried it), buying again $ for $ I'll go leupold. Got mine from @schmalts , he can tell you some other options as well.

Of those, VX3 without question
I’m mostly packing VX5s but only because I found them on clearance.
My two vortex optics (binos and spotter) have moved on
Binos: just wait, pony up, and buy one of the big three. You’ll thank yourself in the long run

Saw this pop up, looked at my previous post and thought I would add further perspective now that I have been selling optics along with guns for the last year plus.

1) Service and warranty, as mentioned, is important. Beside what most people know about the Vortex warranty, here is a couple of other things to think about. Anything with electronics ......... Vortex is the same unconditional, Luepold is 2 years and not a SECOND longer. Country of origin......Vortex products are made in China, the Philippines, Japan and the United States (the AMG line is completely made in WI) depending on the product line, Leupold trades on a half truth in that they put SOME of their products together in Beaverton but the actual optical parts are Asian (with a very few European exceptions) and it is pretty disingenuous the way they advertise as American made.

2) Personal experience between the 2 companies with respect to teaching, equipping and interfacing with retailers. Since before we opened Vortex has sent their team all the way to CO to teach us about their entire line twice, they rented a ranch with a 1000m range and brought some of the best rifles available for us to see what is reasonably possible for an everyday shooter with their equipment, are VERY easy to get on the phone and will go to any lengths possible to help us and our customers. On the other hand, since we opened Leupold idea of training and support has been to send a guy to the store for a 3 hour block of training (and the store was paying the entire gun department to be there)....except that the joker shows up an HOUR late, dumps a bunch of swag on the counter and tells us all to "check out the website" and leaves. I shiz you NOT! Getting even a response from them is an ordeal.

That being said, I have nothing against Leupold and think their scopes are quality....but they simply don't care like Vortex does. Add to that Vortex being a Veteran owned company and when there is a question that is where I go.

If you have the pockets I would go 1) Swaro/Kahles 2) Zeiss 3) Leica (very good value currently) or Nightforce depending on proposed usage.

These of course are opinions and they will vary, but these are mine.

redfields I can';t faulf and recently got a newI'm looking for a new scope to put on a new to me rifle. I am looking at vortex or Leupold in the 800 to 1000 dollar range. Id rather not spend that much but I know quality isn't cheap. has anyone used either company's scopes in this price range? If so which one and how did you like it? What reticle did you get and how did you like it? I am not opposed to other scopes of similar quality but I can get a good deal on either vortex or leupold. Keep in mind the scope doesn't have to be in this range but this was the max I wanted to spend on a scope. Also would be interested in binoculars in the 400 to 500 dollar range from the same companies.
thanks
Quality has, it seems to me been oversold! I'd aks myself what do I really need with a scope that cost's that much? I have a couple old Redfields I paid under $90 for back in the 70's. should up grade but they work so well. I have an Old Bushnell Banner that I got used almost 30 yrs ago and it still works well. I also have a few newer Leupold/Redfields that work more than well enough. I also have a new Vortex That so far I'm happy with, time will tell. I recall an old Tasco World Class years ago I used on a 25-06 for a good number of years and gave it to a friend for his grandson's 22. That old tasco worked well for what I needed but it sure was ugly!

I think what I'd do is figure out what I need in a scope before laying out that kind of money. Are you a target shooter looking for a special scope for a target rifle? maybe one of those guy's that consider 500yd shots normal? I had a 4 1/2 - 14x on my 6.5x06 telling myself it would be great for target shooting. Even did do a few long range target's to 500yds and never used ove 8X, Go figure! It had paralex adjustment which was really cool and pretty much think I needed it on that scope. My 25-06 has a 3-9x Bushnell Banner about 30 yrs old that also shoot's well out to 500yds with an entry level scope that was about $100 brand new, no idea what one cost's today.

You can spend all the money you want on something like a scope and actually get little more for it. probably some longevity But looking at a few of my older scope's, that's not much more than talking points. Old girl friends son had a Schro with a range finder in it. Pretty cool but thinking about it, that was simply one more thing to break. You want to setp up fron $200 scopes I'd go to max $600 scope, and I can't afford that so it's out. But If I paid $600 for a scope I'd expect more form it that I'd probably ever really need. I shoot a Mod 700ADL in 243 with a 2-7x Leupold/Redfield and plink to I have no idea how far and it just seem to work. If your looking at power to see better the target, even at 20x a 1" target at 500yds is still a one inch target. You will see if better but probably won't hit it any better.

These are just my thought's and may not work for you. I'll sit back and wait for the hate mail I get for stuff like this!

Saw this pop up, looked at my previous post and thought I would add further perspective now that I have been selling optics along with guns for the last year plus.

1) Service and warranty, as mentioned, is important. Beside what most people know about the Vortex warranty, here is a couple of other things to think about. Anything with electronics ......... Vortex is the same unconditional, Luepold is 2 years and not a SECOND longer. Country of origin......Vortex products are made in China, the Philippines, Japan and the United States (the AMG line is completely made in WI) depending on the product line, Leupold trades on a half truth in that they put SOME of their products together in Beaverton but the actual optical parts are Asian (with a very few European exceptions) and it is pretty disingenuous the way they advertise as American made.

2) Personal experience between the 2 companies with respect to teaching, equipping and interfacing with retailers. Since before we opened Vortex has sent their team all the way to CO to teach us about their entire line twice, they rented a ranch with a 1000m range and brought some of the best rifles available for us to see what is reasonably possible for an everyday shooter with their equipment, are VERY easy to get on the phone and will go to any lengths possible to help us and our customers. On the other hand, since we opened Leupold idea of training and support has been to send a guy to the store for a 3 hour block of training (and the store was paying the entire gun department to be there)....except that the joker shows up an HOUR late, dumps a bunch of swag on the counter and tells us all to "check out the website" and leaves. I shiz you NOT! Getting even a response from them is an ordeal.

That being said, I have nothing against Leupold and think their scopes are quality....but they simply don't care like Vortex does. Add to that Vortex being a Veteran owned company and when there is a question that is where I go.

If you have the pockets I would go 1) Swaro/Kahles 2) Zeiss 3) Leica (very good value currently) or Nightforce depending on proposed usage.

That country of origon stuff is interesting. years ago when Night Force started out I went by their shop up near Tacoma, Wash looking for a varmint hunter magazine. Found it too. while I was there the guy that claimed to own Night Force showed me his scope and a rifle he does long range with, custom 308 weighting 35#. Probably pretty neat to try it! Talked quite a bit and the guy really seemed like a nice guy, I suspect his scope's are very good scopes, otherwise the wouldn't have the reputation they have. Toward the end another guy came out. Turns out he was the guy that put their scope's together, a partner. Where did the parts come from? China! Forigen parts made properly are not bad poarts simply because they are forigen!

As to warantee's I'd always read leupold had lifetime warrantees on their scopes! I met a guy in Alaska years ago that had a nice new Leupold on his rifle and I asked what it cost, nothing! He told be he found a leupold in a river that was trashed and sent it to Leupold and they sent him a new one no questions asked! May not be that way any more. My leupold/ Redfields were guaranteed for life but haven't had a problen with them so not sure what that means. But seeing as Leupold made them, I trust Leupold and these are the only ones I ever had. Nikon had a life time warantee but they no longer make scopes. Well my 4 1/2-14x had a problem and I sent it to them. They let me know they don't make them any longer but allowed me credit for it on anyting they still make. I think the Leupold/Redfield was made over seas and I think the Nikon was also! Any warantee is no better and no worst than the company giving it no matter where the product is made. I checked with Nikon years ago about a camera lens I got from them. Seems it was made in Thialand but made to Nikon spects! Never have had a problem with it! Some stuff made over seas is junk, no doubt about that. But stuff made overseas by a reputable company I would trust. There are probably things made in this country that are junk and I suspect a lot of things made in this country are put together here from parts made elsewhere!

Nice they take care if the retailers. Still not over the bad for me. mtmuley

I paid $969 for used Swaro SLC last summer on eBay. No regrets. $400 -500 ballpark will get you a Leupold scope you want regret either.

I have paid almost half price buying on ebay.
$500 for my Zeiss rifle scope NIB,$1200 scope.
$600 for my Zeiss Victory binos,$1400 binos. Slightly used.
$400 for my Leica rangefinder, used, like new. $800 RF.

For rifle scopes in the $800-$1000 price range check out the Leupold 172368...VX-5HD 3-15x 44 mm Firedot Duplex. I have one on my Super Grade and love it. Great glass and a lot of features for the money. Also have one with the 56 mm objective on my Mark V. Yeah, I know that the OP posted this thread in 2018. When you are ready to buy, message @schmalts.

I bought a Tract torric 3-15. I love it. HD glass, MOA or Mill, different reticle options. I got the bdc reticle and it’s awesome. They have an app that tells you exact yardages for the drops and holdovers depending on your velocity. I think i paid $850. I can’t recommend it enough.

Back