Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

$800 to $1000 vortex, leupold or some other brand scope?

Being from WI, I'll vote Vortex for both scope and binos....They have no fault warranty if needed. I think their options and glass are much better than Leupold. I think Leupold got lazy a few years ago and kept just selling scopes because of their name as other companies changed specs/products used. If you look around the average Joe long range hunting competitions, you'll see more of them running Vortex.
Now if your going to add a rangefinder, I'd look at Leica. i had Vortex 1600 and was not impressed with its ranging capabilities.

I have had nothing but bad experiences with Leupold customer services over multiple instances. I have had nothing but stellar experiences with Vortex customer service. Take that for what it's worth. You will eventually use that warranty.

Then just buy the best you can afford.

Vortex has great customer service. Had to use it on a spotting scope broken new in the box. No more Chinese stuff for me. mtmuley

I put a vortex pst 5-24x50 on my 6.5 creedmoor, was in $8-900 ball park on sale,,really like the 1st focal plane reticle,,,moa and windage adjust with the power automatically compares to many of the other scopes out there that are second focal plane,,only complaint is no screw on covers for the dials,,i made some slip on rubber covers for it that pop off quick though.Also impressed with my vortex razer hds binos 10x42 $1100 ball park,,,though leopold binos I looked at did look good too in the $6-800 ball park at cabelas.

When I was shopping with a similar budget I ended up going with a NightForce SHV 4-14x50 in first focal plane. I was also considering the 5-20x56 in second focal plane. NightForce makes a great scope, worth a look.

If weight is an issue Leupold scopes are generally lighter weight than Vortex. I have multiple Vortex and Leupold scopes. If I had to buy one or the other i would stick to Leupold. I have the Vortex Viper HD 10x42 Binoculars and so far so good. I think for the money they are pretty hard to beat. I can't speak for Leupold as I have not looked at any for years. Nobody sells much if anything from Leupold around here anymore.

I would place a much higher premium on a quality (tough) erector/adjustment system than the light transmission. I have never found myself in a situation where I couldn't take a shot because of light transmission. I personally see little value in 50mm objectives and 30mm tubes on a hunting rifle. YMMV.

This is just one man's opinion. Spend $400ish bucks on a 3.5-10x40 or 4.5-14x40 VX3i, and spend the rest of your total budget on the best binoculars you can afford.
Good advice right here.

Scopes:
6x36mm Leupold
6x42mm Leupold
3.5-10x40mm Leupold with the B&C reticle
4.5-14x40mm Leupold with the B&C reticle

Binoculars:
Zeiss Conquest 10x30mm or 8x30mm

I have the Viper HS in 4x16x44 and love that joker. I got it on sale under $500 and think it compares VERY favorably. Absolute warranty is a big plus. The glass is better than I am for sure ;)

I prefer to adjust for bullet drop on my turret and wanted to be somewhat lightweight as well so my Browning Xbolt will have a Leupold Mark AR 4-12x40 with a mildot reticle. Comes in at about 15 ounces, good glass, great tracking from my experience with previous Mark AR scopes, and under $600.

Great advice...thought I'd add mine to it. I usually buy used glass. It isn't the lastest/greatest/new and improved...but it has always seemed to me that when a new model of anything comes out, folks get rid of last year's "latest/greatest/etc.", sometimes even in MY price range! Paid $700 for my 3-15x50 NXS, got my Kahles for $600, and on and on. Just watch the classifieds, and don't feel bad to sent a PM with an offer. Make sure there aren't any scratches, and remember; you cannot wear out glass by looking through it.

VX5HD 3-15X44 30MM tube, CDS ZL2, side focus. street price $900. I love mine with a windplex reticle.

I have not used one yet but after looking through nearly every model of bioncuar they have and being thoroughly impressed Maven might be worth a look. I know they had 25% off at the show I was at so that would fit in the price range as would one of their demo models.

https://shop.mavenbuilt.com/collections/stock-optics/products/rs-1?variant=817080205324

On binos look for reviews on birding sites. They are very knowledgeable when it comes to glass, coatings, color, etc. comparing binos.

This top of the line Bushnell model gets really good reviews compared to brands like leupold and vortex. And it's being discontinued so it's about half retail.
https://www.rogerssportinggoods.com...MIiYnMmOmP2wIVCrXACh3YvwypEAQYASABEgKUfPD_BwE

Once you get to $300 you will be hard pressed to beat the Maven C series.

Last edited:
Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Irish-Jay
Back