Caribou Gear

$800 to $1000 vortex, leupold or some other brand scope?

robloft

I'm looking for a new scope to put on a new to me rifle. I am looking at vortex or Leupold in the 800 to 1000 dollar range. Id rather not spend that much but I know quality isn't cheap. has anyone used either company's scopes in this price range? If so which one and how did you like it? What reticle did you get and how did you like it? I am not opposed to other scopes of similar quality but I can get a good deal on either vortex or leupold. Keep in mind the scope doesn't have to be in this range but this was the max I wanted to spend on a scope. Also would be interested in binoculars in the 400 to 500 dollar range from the same companies.
thanks

I would personally lean leupold. What are your biggest concerns in a scope?

Depending on the type of hunting you are planning to do with it. Being I probably spend more days hunting western game than anything else, I would spend more money on my binoculars than riflescope.

I know that this will be immediately and thoroughly rejected by other HTers, but unless you are planning on taking shots in the first 10 minutes or last 10 minutes of shooting light, I find the Nikon Monarch 5 ED lenses for $500 to be every bit as good. Let the shout down begin.

I would personally lean leupold. What are your biggest concerns in a scope?

Depending on the type of hunting you are planning to do with it. Being I probably spend more days hunting western game than anything else, I would spend more money on my binoculars than riflescope.

I am mainly wanting a reliable scope to take on my first western hunt. I want something that if I need to make a low light shot I will be able to see through the scope well enough to hit what I'm shooting at. I have read quite a few posts and reviews saying people have had issues with vortex but those are usually the crossfire or diamondbacks.

I am mainly wanting a reliable scope to take on my first western hunt. I want something that if I need to make a low light shot I will be able to see through the scope well enough to hit what I'm shooting at. I have read quite a few posts and reviews saying people have had issues with vortex but those are usually the crossfire or diamondbacks.

I would place a much higher premium on a quality (tough) erector/adjustment system than the light transmission. I have never found myself in a situation where I couldn't take a shot because of light transmission. I personally see little value in 50mm objectives and 30mm tubes on a hunting rifle. YMMV.

This is just one man's opinion. Spend $400ish bucks on a 3.5-10x40 or 4.5-14x40 VX3i, and spend the rest of your total budget on the best binoculars you can afford.

I have multiple scopes from both companies you mentioned, you'll be fine with either company. I'd recommend buying a Viper or higher from Vortex and VX3i or higher from Leupold. If you're buying Leupold, be sure to check with Predator Optics (he's a member on here), he's got very good deals and great to work with.

I have several mid range vortex scopes, viper hst/pst, they have been great and when my daughters sling broke and the 10 lb gun landed right on the eyepiece, vortex replaced it.

That said leupold vx3i is you huckleberry, not too heavy, lots of features and great at low light.

If you want to save a little money pick up a Nikon black x1000

In your situation give me a fixed 6x Leupold with LR Duplex and spend the rest on 10x42 Meostar's or Euro HD (same thing), you'll still be under your budget. When I used to have Leupolds I had bad luck with VX II's and VX 3's holding zero and tracking, the 6x42 and 6x36 I had didn't track but did hold zero. ymmv

If you want a reliable scope, to me that means it will hold zero (and track if spinning turrets). To know if it holds you've got to have proven mounts and rounds down range. A variable Leupold or Vortex could do that just fine, just better to know for sure before you go no matter what you use. Good luck and have fun on your first western hunt.

Conquest HDs
Meopta Meostar HD (also known as Cabelas Euro HDs)
Leica Trinovids
Used Swaro SLCs

10x40 is usually a good place to start. At some point you can also pick up a tripod adapter and tripod, and they get real deadly.

Last edited:
Conquest HDs
Meopta Meostar HD (also known as Cabelas Euro HDs)
Leica Trinovids
Used Swaro SLCs

10x40 is usually a good place to start. At some point you can also pick up a tripod adapter and tripod, and they get real deadly.

Just curious is there a reason you didn't recommend Leupold binos? I'm not dead set on leupold but several people have highly recommended their stuff.

Just curious is there a reason you didn't recommend Leupold binos? I'm not dead set on leupold but several people have highly recommended their stuff.

I have not handled or looked through any of there newest stuff, so I cannot personally attest to them. The ones I listed, I have at least some hands on experience with. I should have included the Vortex Razor HDs as well. At times you can find under $1k; which at that price they are pretty competitive with the others.

anyone have any experience with Tract Optics? I read last year they were much better than their price suggested. I believe they only sell direct to customer from their website.

Amazon has a VX6 2-12x42 with duplex firedot reticle. $870. If i had your budget I'd look at that pretty hard. and a Vortex Razor hd lh which is under your budget price.

I have a Vortex Viper 3-9x40 on my Howa Alpine. I couldn't ask for much more in a scope. great in low light and holds its zero. worked very well at sunset this year. would still love a VX6 for the illuminated reticle.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back