Spot and Stalk Question

Muleys32

Just curious if other guys use this bit while spot and stalk mule deer hunting. It has paid off for me that right before I got on a stalk I will take a picture from my glassing point, just in case I need something to reference later. Is this something you do every time without fail? Or maybe only if the terrain is particularly tricky.

My pard has used that trick more than once to make sure he got to where he wanted to be.

I have never used that trick, never really had a need to. If the terrain is that challenging then a map and compass gets me to where I need to be, if my mind is foggy. Other than a head lamp I have no other electronics to aid in my hunt, but to each their own.

Great tip, and may I add that doing so after the shot is a great idea too. Exit spots off the meadow or field can sure look different when the shadows either shorten or lengthen. Being certain where to begin a tracking job will can save lots of frustration.

Yep, have done it. Worked well on my Arizona elk hunt this year. I had to make a major move as I glassed the bull I killed early in the morning and across a canyon. It took me an hour to drive around to the other side. I probably didn't need the photo, but it helped to reconfirm. First saw that bull at 7:30 am, finally got him killed at 4:15 PM and he hadn't move 40 yards from where I first saw him.

Sounds like a good idea but I bet when I try it I will drop my phone midway someplace and spend the rest of the day searching for IT.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back