Which projectile for elk

Aussie_hunter_JD

Gday guys,

I run a tc bonecollector 50 cal and just wanting some recommendations on rounds to run. Obviously I'm not hunting elk in Australia but sambar and reds are close enough in size.

To knock out most, we can only get a few with hornady being the main brand. I've ran 240gn XTP magnums and 300gn FPB.

Been tempted to try the monoflex for better penetration. Any thoughts?

Gday guys,

Obviously I'm not hunting elk in Australia but sambar and reds are close enough in size.
Sorry mate I can't advise on the bullet, but take it from me, I have shot some big red stags, its not until you get a bull elk on the ground that you realise, 'oh crap, this thing is 3 times the size of a stag'!
Cheers
Richard

Sorry mate I can't advise on the bullet, but take it from me, I have shot some big red stags, its not until you get a bull elk on the ground that you realise, 'oh crap, this thing is 3 times the size of a stag'!
Cheers
Richard

Haha nah I get that, I've worked with some farmed elk here and they are big. I was going to leave the example as sambar but I figured most guyd here wouldn't be able to associate size to that. Big sambar stag is around 800lb but they're a lot harder to put down than cervus species as they're built differently, round like a cow as opposed to slim like an elk or red.

With good shot placement, even a simple 177gr patched round ball does the job. I used 70gr 3fg Goex and a round ball for this guy. Best eating ever!

I have a Cabelas Hawken 50 cal ML that I have found really likes the 275 gr TC Maxi Hunters. I have shot the TC 370 gr Maxi Ball and the 385 gr Hornady Great Plains and have not found a powder charge that is grouping as nice as the 275 gr Maxi Hunters. I am considering putting in for a cow elk tag in CO and was wondering if anyone has had any experience with the 275 gr Maxi Hunters effectiveness on elk?

Thanks for any input.

I have used Powerbelts, Maxiballs, Hornady sabots, Barnes sabots, and Swift sabots on elk. They all worked just fine but I was impressed with the penetration of the 300 gr 44 Swift bullet. I shot that bull in the chest, pretty much straight on, and I recovered the bullet in the meaty part of one of the hind legs. The recovered bullet was .6” in diameter at the smallest point and weighed 289 gr after I had removed as much debris as I could from under the petals. Then Idaho changed the regulations so I could no longer use sabots during muzzleloader season.

I've never shot anything bigger than whitetail deer with a muzzleloader, but I'd think for a 275grn maxihunter would do it. Sabots are illegal for hunting in Montana, so I've actually never even shot one. The lead maxihunters are reasonably accurate out to 100 yards with 80 grains of pyrodex behind them. I shoot a cheapish Traditions .50 cal Hawken. The recoil will get your attention if you don't have that curved brass butt plate pulled into your shoulder pocket very well.

I've used the T/C shockwaves on many deer from 50 to 175 yards. Bullet performance wasn't that impressive with little to NO blood trails. That being said never lost an animal with them. Not having shot elk with them it's hard to say. I would probably lean more towards an all copper like Barnes for more controlled expansion and deeper penetration.

I've had zero issues with the Hornady 300gr SST's. All the deer I've shot have dropped in their tracks and the two elk, one dropped, the other went about 30 yards and fell over. Bottom line with smoke poles, find a bullet your gun likes and put it where it counts. I shoot a TC Blackdiamond XR and get great grouping with the SST's. I got a wild hair one day and felt like trying the Barnes TMZ's. Couldn't get a good group with them if my life had depended on it. Just my 2cents:)

Here is a CO rule change for round-ball hunters starting 2018, from the regs:

▶ ROUND-BALL BULLETS FOR MUZZLELOADERS NOW A MINIMUM OF .50 CALIBER: This applies to
deer, pronghorn and bear; round-ball bullets for muzzleloaders are now a minimum
of .54 caliber for elk and moose.

Glad I held on to my Lyman .54.

Here is a CO rule change for round-ball hunters starting 2018, from the regs:

▶ ROUND-BALL BULLETS FOR MUZZLELOADERS NOW A MINIMUM OF .50 CALIBER: This applies to
deer, pronghorn and bear; round-ball bullets for muzzleloaders are now a minimum
of .54 caliber for elk and moose.

Glad I held on to my Lyman .54.

Is the .54 just for round balls or for anything to shoot elk? I use maxiballs in my .50.

Is the .54 just for round balls or for anything to shoot elk? I use maxiballs in my .50.

Here you go, John:

d. To hunt deer, pronghorn or bear, conical bullets must be a minimum of
.40 caliber, and round-ball bullets must be a minimum of .50 caliber.
e. To hunt elk or moose, conical bullets must be a minimum of .50
caliber
, and round-ball bullets must be a minimum of .54 caliber.
f. From .40 caliber to .50 caliber, bullets must weigh a minimum of 170 grains.
g. If greater than .50 caliber, bullets must weigh a minimum of 210 grains.

You're good to go. All you have to do is find some elk, right?

Just wanted to reopen this thread if I may,

So in Aus we can't get Barnes MZ, powerbelts, thor, parker and I'm going to have to double check on the TC. At this stage the Hornady range is pretty much what I have on offer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Crookhunt
Back