New World Record Bighorn Sheep

I am not familiar with the island. Is it a complicated story about why no hunting is allowed on the island? Let someone pay $100k to shoot some of these world records. Use that money for more sheep habitat...win, win, win.

Part of the purchase agreement of the island stated no hunting. Its also within the boundaries of the CSK reservation where hunting is only allowed by tribal members. Its a small island and any hunt on it would not be very sporting in my opinion. Really no different than a high fence game farm, and would not be the best thing for the image of hunters. Transplant producer and sheep viewing is fine by me.

Part of the purchase agreement of the island stated no hunting. Its also within the boundaries of the CSK reservation where hunting is only allowed by tribal members. Its a small island and any hunt on it would not be very sporting in my opinion. Really no different than a high fence game farm, and would not be the best thing for the image of hunters. Transplant producer and sheep viewing is fine by me.

I agree. A hunt there would not be a "sheep hunt".

I do not know of any tribal members who hunt it. I suppose if someone wanted to make a test case of it, they could. But so far that has not been an issue. There is sporadic poaching on the park. I remember one got caught after killing a ram there on superbowl Sunday several years ago. One good thing is the individual rams are well known and recognized by a corps of sheep fanatics. If anyone had tried to poach and brag about killing this ram, the story would be blown up in about 20 seconds.

Idahoarcheryhunter: Several photographers have images of this ram alive. Tony Bynum posted some magnificent photos on his social media today.

I hefted and weighed this head this morning. Pictures really do not do it justice. We also weighed the skull and horns. A typical human skull weighs two pounds. Guess how much this guy's skull and headgear weighed?

"What We Do in Life....Echoes in Eternity".......probably some Hollywood Screenwriter..

I'm sure other members of the Forum have much better clarity to the details and history of the Wild Horse Island purchase.....

But as I remember back in the seventies when this opportunity arose and the Island was secured and purchased by the State. There was not a universal applause and approval by some public interests, elected officials, and even different leaderships within the then... Montana Fish and Game Dept. Their feelings more along the lines that the available funding could have been better utilized in other areas for habitat needs and priorities at the time such as Elk Winter Range.

I was attending MSU at the time in one of the natural resources curriculums and in one of my classes we spent a spring day on the Porcupine Game Range with the then head of Big Game Management for Region 3. He was a very respected and influential force at the time. During our questions session of the day he was asked of the purchase. And with professionalism to his reply.... offered that he too felt the funding could have been better used.

But my what 40 years of hindsight has shown us. What a place and I certainly was not aware of such a high number of transplants from this population to other areas. Great genetics to benefit and help support Bighorn sheep into the future.

Here is a cool Wild horse Island story I can share. MT FNAWS has had several summer picnic events over the years that included a boat ride out to the Island. I've been fortunate enough to be at 2 of them. One visit included the late Duncan Gilchrisit's young grandson of about 7. After some hiking, we found a nice bunch of rams bedded down in the timber that were fairly close range. After awhile he looked at everyone and exclaimed "this is the best day of my life!"

So yes, in hindsight the island was a great purchase, and any one thinking of visiting there, I highly recommend doing so.

Old Ranger, that is a good story. Sadly, conservation funding is so tight we are forced into the devil's bargain: trade this precious habitat for THAT precious habitat. Elk range for sheep range. Back in the 70s, the LWCF was funded at a much, much higher range than it is today. Congress keeps raiding that piggy bank. Meanwhile, our population grows and we keep eating up more and more wildlife habitat. God ain't making any more of it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back