Don jr. on avery outdoors podcast

Glad you posted this.
I really hated how he talked about public lands 17 miles back not being available to the public. I wish Ryan would have called him out on that.

I listened to it. It is clear Don Jr. is an avid hunter. I liked that he kept mentioning the importance on thinking about the future generations and their opportunities. What I didn't agree with is that he kept saying you can have the best of both worlds regarding energy development and good hunting. It felt like a sales pitch, like a car salesman saying the truck he is selling has the best horsepower and the best mpg on the market. I feel most hunters (at least Hunt Talkers) understand that wildlife habitat fragmentation has a negative impact on wildlife populations. Obviously, we need energy production, I get that. I would have preferred to hear him say that we need to have hunters get involved with the agencies and politicians making the decisions and collaboratively seek solutions that balance the needs of humans and wildlife.

And I agree completely with mtnrunner260 that Don Jr. was painting a ridiculous picture in his example about access. As Ryan Callaghan said recently, some current politicians are trying to hijack the word ACCESS and use it to convince the public they are being deprived of their public lands.

Part of me is pleased we have an avid hunter to advise the president and part of me is scared/frustrated that he is also a big ego salesman selling a line of bullshit to the mostly undereducated hunting crowd. *Undereducated in regards to the complexity of hunting/conservation issues. I am not trying to say you need a college degree to have an intelligent perspective.

Ryan Avery is a good dude. Mostly attributable to marrying high up the ladder, as is the case with most of us. I'll have to give this one a listen and bust his chops if he served up nothing but softballs rather than tossing a few high/inside zingers. Ryan and I talk shop with regularity, both owning podcasts and forums. I think most Hunt Talkers would get some laughs visiting with him and Tanya.

I listened to it. It is clear Don Jr. is an avid hunter. I liked that he kept mentioning the importance on thinking about the future generations and their opportunities. What I didn't agree with is that he kept saying you can have the best of both worlds regarding energy development and good hunting. It felt like a sales pitch, like a car salesman saying the truck he is selling has the best horsepower and the best mpg on the market. I feel most hunters (at least Hunt Talkers) understand that wildlife habitat fragmentation has a negative impact on wildlife populations. Obviously, we need energy production, I get that. I would have preferred to hear him say that we need to have hunters get involved with the agencies and politicians making the decisions and collaboratively seek solutions that balance the needs of humans and wildlife.

And I agree completely with mtnrunner260 that Don Jr. was painting a ridiculous picture in his example about access. As Ryan Callaghan said recently, some current politicians are trying to hijack the word ACCESS and use it to convince the public they are being deprived of their public lands.

Part of me is pleased we have an avid hunter to advise the president and part of me is scared/frustrated that he is also a big ego salesman selling a line of bullshit to the mostly undereducated hunting crowd. *Undereducated in regards to the complexity of hunting/conservation issues. I am not trying to say you need a college degree to have an intelligent perspective.

👍🏻
The scary thing really is that he is actually an avid hunter so people could confuse his as a voice for sportsman. He is obviously using all the "approved terms" and exaggerations to deflect from the meat of the issue. I hope he can be educated on the facts of the issue but as a wealthy person with connections i doubt very much he would ever really understand the struggle for the public land diy hunter.

While he may be an avid hunter he couldn't give a rats @$$ about public land. He's simply a shill for Trump who is only interested in making $$ no matter the consequences. He can go and buy a hunt on any private ranch or anywhere in the world for that matter.

I listened to it. He is a politician and has to try and keep folks on both sides of this issue somewhat happy. I don't like the way he says some things and I like the way he says other things. Everything else being equal, I kinda like the idea of the president's son (who seems to have some influence on him) being an avid hunter/fisherman. He seems genuinely passionate about the outdoors. I can think of a lot worse scenario (of his attitude towards the outdoors)....given his billionaire upbringing in NY.

While he may be an avid hunter he couldn't give a rats @$$ about public land. He's simply a shill for Trump who is only interested in making $$ no matter the consequences. He can go and buy a hunt on any private ranch or anywhere in the world for that matter.

So can most of the heads of the leading conservation organizations.

So that makes Trump Jr. one of the good guys? I think not.

Same as it makes the guys I referenced....bad guys. Just pointing out that one's bank account does not determine their conservation values. Who do you think spends tons of money at the banquets and makes the large donations to the organizations that a lot of us support? The answer is not me by the way. Not all wealthy people are the boogey man....as much as some political party wants you to believe.

Did you listen to the podcast?

Just listened to the podcast. I thought it was pretty good. It would have been nice if there were a couple more questions to follow up on the access issues and transferring lands and the National Monument issues surrounding downsizing and states selling lands. I thought both of those discussions were softball. But I also understand no one wants to constantly get hammered on issues. That being said, throwing around hyperbole doesn't do anything to help the cause. Sure Trump Jr has opportunities and access to high end hunts that I will never have, but it doesn't make him a bad guy.

Good interview, thanks for posting Lrhiker. Public lands portion starts at about the 20 minute mark.

It sounded to me like an interview about hunting more than politics, and that's ok. Just letting someone tell their own story often ends up better in the long run, look what Terry Gross does with it.

Lopehunter.....lol.... that there was a great one..... and another great point by carnage.... the problem with liberals is they don't listen to reason... they are idealists..... they have an idea someone placed in their heads and they attempt to defend it....

Lopehunter.....lol.... that there was a great one..... and another great point by carnage.... the problem with liberals is they don't listen to reason... they are idealists..... they have an idea someone placed in their heads and they attempt to defend it....

Its equally as disingenuous to deny that perspectives and public lands are going to be viewed differently regarding how the individual person interacts with those lands. People that are casual users of our wildlife and public lands, pay for hunts, swirl in and swirl out then head back to the high rise office in a big city...I don't expect a high level of understanding of the issues surrounding our public lands and wildlife.

Its not constantly in their wheelhouse like it is for the people that live, recreate, and advocate for public lands that live near them.

I have no quarrel with Junior, but he just simply isn't engaged in the process, nor down in the trenches, fighting for our public lands and wildlife, like so many of the local guys are.

I think its great that he enjoys the outdoors, but he is squandering an opportunity to really make a difference if he truly wanted to, IMO. I also worry that he's a bit too comfy with the Utah crowd...that's never a good thing.

I hope I’m never rich enough to hunt anywhere in the world. The poor people will kick me out of their exclusive public land club.

I’m glad Fredo is a hunter but I have yet to see any perk of him being who he is.

Back