Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Sighting in rifle once in hunting area

I was talking to a guy at work and he said I would have to shoot my rifle to check and see if its sited in once I get to Wyoming since it will be a different elevation than I will be shooting it here in Illinois. He hunted private land in Colorado, so he was able to do this easily. I didn't know if public land hunters from primarily flat areas do that out there. What do other flat landers do?

Go out a day early to hit a shooting range and do some scouting...

I ordered the dials for the area I would be hunting in based off from the custom shops guidance. The gun shot really well out to 400 at my home range in in Michigan. It was significantly warmer when I shot it but the dial was pretty consistent 1” high at every 100 yards. I took a target with us west and we had a 50 degree difference in temps and a gain of 6000 feet of elevation. I’m no ballistic calculator guy, I am more of a no chit holes in the target guy. On the target I was 3” high at 200 and it got worse the further I shot if I used the dial for what I ranged. I forgot the little Allen wrench so I had to make up a ballistic chart to know where it was shooting. I will not make that mistake again as there was a lot of headaches that could of been prevented.

Not sure hunting big game at traditionally reasonable ranges requires target style accuracy of dialing in each shot. If you find yourself with CDS dials off/unworkable for whatever reason, just re-zero on location at 225-250yds (or 2.5" high at 100 yds) and with typical deer/elk cartridges you will be +/-3" out to at least 285 yds - no dial needed. Beyond 285yds let ballistics tables and old fashion hold over be your guide. No tools necessary.

I ask Leupold that same question:
Here is my question:
I have just purchased a VX-6 and zeroed my rifle for 100 yards in New York. I purchased a custom CDS for an out west trip for an average AGL of 3000 feet, Do I need to re zero my rifle when I get out west since the rifle was zeroed for New York not Montana

Leupold answer:

No sir, no need to rezero. Ballistically there is no need as the path of your bullet will not change based on atmospherics at 100 yards. However, I always suggest checking zero upon arriving at your destination to be sure nothing was bumped or moved during travel.

Here is my question:
I have just purchased a VX-6 and zeroed my rifle for 100 yards in New York. I purchased a custom CDS for an out west trip for an average AGL of 3000 feet, Do I need to re zero my rifle when I get out west since the rifle was zeroed for New York not Montana

Leupold answer:

No sir, no need to rezero. Ballistically there is no need as the path of your bullet will not change based on atmospherics at 100 yards. However, I always suggest checking zero upon arriving at your destination to be sure nothing was bumped or moved during travel.

The effect grows with distance, probably true tough to see at 100yds, but at 250 or 350 it will be noticeable.

Here is my question:

Leupold answer:

Call him back and tell him you would be hunting at 6,000 feet and shooting at a distance of about 400 to 500 yards and see what he say's.

Lol, I think we talked to the same rep. In MT our ranged shot opportunities were just under 400 yards. It made enough of a difference driving from MI that the system had us shooting way over the top of them. There is a lot more to my story you can read on here elsewhere but at the end of the day we should of verified it when we got there.

I like the system but with anything mechanical there can be issues. Don’t let that be the reason for bad shot. Trust me

RN Flatlander.

I was wondering the same. I live by Alton and 500' is a lot different than 9,000'. I am getting ready to shoot my 7mm mag and my 300 win mag to get ready for 2nd rifle season in Colorado this fall. I need to find a range or a friendly farmer that has a spot to shoot out to 300-400 yds. or so.

blacksheep

I wonder how far you can shoot at the shooting range in Sparta. they have a rifle range there, I'm just not sure how long it is.

Just do like this old timer did in CO a couple years ago. Run half a box through your 300 whatever right there at camp, the day before 2nd season. You won't have to worry about seeing elk anywhere near your camp.

That was my thought on the issue, which is why I found it weird that you would shoot it out there, especially if you're driving and make sure it doesn't get bumped.

Go out a day early to hit a shooting range and do some scouting...

We'll be there a day early so I'll do some looking around and try to find a range in the area. I don't really want to shoot around where we'll be camping because I think there is an elk season that ends the day before deer season starts, so I don't want to be shooting in the area with that going on.

We'll be there a day early so I'll do some looking around and try to find a range in the area. I don't really want to shoot around where we'll be camping because I think there is an elk season that ends the day before deer season starts, so I don't want to be shooting in the area with that going on.

I wouldn't worry about that. mtmuley

Used to hunt SW Colorado near Dolores a bunch. We would drive in a couple days early and one of the neatest activities was the shooting range in Cortez. Very reasonable guest fee, free targets, assigned spotters, very safety conscious, and could shoot out to 350 if you wanted. Dough went to a good cause, made new friends every season...just a cool deal all the way around.

I use gunwerk's ballistic app. All I do is change my elevation in the computer, and it gives me my new dope for that range. I carry two dope cards in a pouch on my buttstock. One for here in Ohio and one for out West. It's that simple. If you're using a CDS, I guess you'd have to get another dial. It is true though that you won't see much difference until you start to get out there.

Just me, but I don"t care for the yardage marked turrrets, CDS or otherwise. Just use a MOA turret. More flexibility with changing conditions, and bullets if you should. mtmuley

Just me, but I don"t care for the yardage marked turrrets, CDS or otherwise. Just use a MOA turret. More flexibility with changing conditions, and bullets if you should. mtmuley

This is where I've ended up. I got pretty hot on getting a scope with yardage marks for a while, then realized that I do just fine with an MOA turret, my rangefinder, and practice with the loads I shoot.

This is good info, I'm getting ready to buy a new scope with cds. Im at 2,000', so in theory if I sight in 1" low I should be in the ball park around 4-5000'?

I always check my zero just to be sure. I had one situation where going from under 1000' to 5500' made a difference and when I called the bullet manufacturer they told me it was because I was using non lead bullet which seems odd.

Last edited:
I always check my zero just to be sure. I had one situation where going from under 1000' to 5500' made a difference and when I called the bullet manufacturer they told me it was because I was using non lead bullet which seems odd.

I am not a Leupold homer (as I started with Nikon BDC years ago and like sticking within a system so not different on every gun) but this post now makes for one bad Leupold customer service comment that must be weighed against 100+ great comments I have seen on HuntTalk forum over the last year.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ram0307
Back