Beginner looking for a hunting partnerfor 2018

robloft

I am planning my first elk hunt this year. I am looking at the Montana draw with Colorado OTC as my backup. That can easily be changed if I can find someone who would like to go with me or someone who wouldn't mind if I tagged along with them. I am not necessarily looking for an expert hunter but anyone who could help me learn would definitely be appreciated. I am planning on a DIY hunt. Not sure if I want to truck camp or hike in a few miles and hunt yet. Also, packing in with animals is not out of the question. I grew up on a farm and have had horses my whole life. I have hunted deer in Mississippi since I was little. I know deer and elk hunting are two completely different things. I am currently in the military. I am in decent shape and I consider myself very easy going although some people say it takes a little time to get used to me(I usually treat new acquaintances like I have known them for years). I am from north Mississippi but have no objections to meeting up with someone fro almost anywhere to hunt with. I highly doubt I will be able to travel out west for a scouting trip since I only get some much time off a year. if anyone just wants to give a beginner advice about elk hunting I would also appreciate that. Thanks

Good luck with your search. I can't go this year. But I may be looking to go in '19. I'm from La. I went to Wyoming in '16 on an antelope hunt. It is a good way to get your feet under you with the western hunts they have told me. I learned a bunch on my trip. And you can be fairly successful too. Getting an elk out is big task. One I have not done yet, but what I do know is if you are going to haul one out yourself you are going to have to consider your hunting days to include pack out time as you will need to make multiple trips for meat. This being said going a couple of miles back, then hunting a couple miles will take some planning to do this very thing. You may also be able to find someone that might just want to come, camp and help. A lot of people I know aren't willing to spend $800+ on a tag for chance to kill an elk. Southerners like dumping $800+ of feed on the ground and sitting in a box stand for chance at a deer. Lol. I only make the joke because I do it myself. Pm me if you have any questions.

Good luck with your search. I can't go this year. But I may be looking to go in '19. I'm from La. I went to Wyoming in '16 on an antelope hunt. It is a good way to get your feet under you with the western hunts they have told me. I learned a bunch on my trip. And you can be fairly successful too. Getting an elk out is big task. One I have not done yet, but what I do know is if you are going to haul one out yourself you are going to have to consider your hunting days to include pack out time as you will need to make multiple trips for meat. This being said going a couple of miles back, then hunting a couple miles will take some planning to do this very thing. You may also be able to find someone that might just want to come, camp and help. A lot of people I know aren't willing to spend $800+ on a tag for chance to kill an elk. Southerners like dumping $800+ of feed on the ground and sitting in a box stand for chance at a deer. Lol. I only make the joke because I do it myself. Pm me if you have any questions.

I know what you mean about pouring out feed in the south. Seems that's all people want to do.

What are you planning, an archery or rifle hunt? If it's a rifle hunt, what season or time of year?

Being a New Elk hunter, personally I would take Montana off your list, in most parts of MT. you have Grizzlies to deal with, and there are special rules and Laws that apply in those areas, such as food storage and many other things.

If you were looking at archery hunting I would say yes to hunting in MT, but rifle hunting can be very difficult up here. I only rifle hunt because of work and I usually only see 1 to 5 elk while hunting. Before season you can see hundreds, but after opening day they are tough to locate. And you need to be ready to make a shot. I was previously a resident in both Colorado and Utah, and it made elk hunting look easy compared to MT. It may take you several years or 5 to find a good spot on your own, and it took me four seasons hunting in MT over a 9 year period as a non-resident before I became successful. Now as a resident I feel that I have a 50% chance of killing a bull/cow if I get to hunt for 5-10 days each season. It's going next to impossible to find someone to show you the ropes. Good luck on your trip, and thanks for your service..

If you were looking at archery hunting I would say yes to hunting in MT, but rifle hunting can be very difficult up here. I only rifle hunt because of work and I usually only see 1 to 5 elk while hunting. Before season you can see hundreds, but after opening day they are tough to locate. And you need to be ready to make a shot. I was previously a resident in both Colorado and Utah, and it made elk hunting look easy compared to MT. It may take you several years or 5 to find a good spot on your own, and it took me four seasons hunting in MT over a 9 year period as a non-resident before I became successful. Now as a resident I feel that I have a 50% chance of killing a bull/cow if I get to hunt for 5-10 days each season. It's going next to impossible to find someone to show you the ropes. Good luck on your trip, and thanks for your service..

Thanks for your insight. I am considering other states but from what I've seen and read I had a better chance of actually getting to hunt in Montana.

I am planning a rifle hunt in Montana. I believe the season start date is around the 20th or 21st of October. I was considering Colorado 2nd rifle as a backup.

I'm hunting CO in 3rd season solo and am looking for some camp company. I'll be hunting deer but the elk season runs at the same time and it is an OTC license.

So my first piece of advice would be to make sure you're confident that your partner (the one you hopefully find) is as dedicated to the hunt as you are. I've been in situations before that my other partner(s) were not as committed as me to the experience and working hard to have a realistic chance at success. In fact, it took my prodding and poking in order to get one guy to go chase some elk that ended up in us killing one. My second piece of advice is buy the best pair of boots you can afford, you'll need them. I think the last thing would be grit. From your original post I see you're in the military, so you most likely know more about that than I do. It really comes down to how bad do you want it (opportunity at taking an animal) and can you grit it out.

P.S. - I'm assuming you're doing a public land hunt. Depending on hunting pressure I'd make sure you have plan A, B, C, D, E, F, G and maybe a couple other back up's in mind too.

I'm hunting CO in 3rd season solo and am looking for some camp company. I'll be hunting deer but the elk season runs at the same time and it is an OTC license.
Hi, I’m retired & looking for my 1st elk hunt, have hunted white tail most my life, I live in southern Ohio

Man I would be in for meeting up and hunting together but I won't be able to swing it with the plans I already made. Feel free to PM if you want to plan something for 2019!

Still looking for a hunting partner for Montana this year. I will mostly be hunting in region 4 but may go into a few region 3 areas. If anyone is interested in going or meeting up feel free to PM or reply on here.

If you haven't found a hunting partner for a Colorado hunt as yet, send me a PM and perhaps we can talk? I live in Elk country, will be done hunting before you ever start, and have an array of horses/mule/Burro I pack with.

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back