sidearm caliber in bear country

In Glacier while boating to my trailer.
attachment.php

Glacier while hiking. Friend had camera out snapping pics of beautiful Glacier. I noticed the bulge or the movement caught my attention. By the time I got my buddy's attention, he was up trying to smell us out... took a look then meandered his way into the trees. There is no zooming. It had our hackles up... and my OC out. On note of OC, I'll go first to my OC as it's 15' diameter and spreading... blinding and fudges up his smell vs a .45 size hole. As shared earlier in this thread the Alaska study of OC spray and bear assaults... OC is near as good as it gets. but to each his / her own.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Those are bad ass photos. Let me guess a nokia flip phone?

What really matters when they charge you is your high score on call of duty.

Brad-Sosephs-Alaska-Bear.jpg

40 years ago we fished the Alagnak river and flew over to Illiamna to the Brooks for sockeye. That is the famous bear preserve so they told us no guns. Saw maybe 18 grown brown bears in a mile of river. They told us if the bear attacks to curl up in a fetal position and cover the back of the neck with our hands. Said to never run away. I saw a big sow across the small river and was taking photos when she charged me. Turned out she had two small cubs in the grass. First photo was her standing with the neck fur standing on end, second photo was her charging with water splashing up from her legs, third photo was grass while I was running like a molested monkey. Lucked out and she decided to go back to her cubs. After that I never carried a gun or spray and did see a few more bears fishing at the Seatuk river once. Figured if one wanted to eat me they would get the job done anyway.

Crayola time Sytes.

Whats OC spray. something different than I buy in my average MT sporting goods store?

Here’s one I took in the park with a phone. Just saw the dead bison until real close. I did have both spray and a 357. A hiker was eaten a half mile from here a day later. Sorry for the gay selfie.

What good would the 357 have done? Legally it couldn't have been loaded ;)

I have seen 2 different brands. any difference?
Anyone had the misfortune of
trying them both out :W:

I recommend an N frame S&W with a round butt...it'll be easier for the mortician to remove.

Last edited by a moderator:
Round butt for the gun or for you? Just want to make sure I order the correct item (plastic surgery has come to Wyoming)

LOl, jeez, I just spilled my beverage. Kinda left the door open for that one. :cool:

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ElknTrout
Back