Yeti GOBOX Collection

sidearm caliber in bear country

I understand. Personal ability is a huge factor. An inexperienced person probably does more harm than good.

That said, when that girl was being chewed on by that bear I'm sure her partner wished for a better option.

Hard to disagree with that. If you had to choose one stats say spray. If your confidence or intuition says handgun then I'd have a hard time disagreeing as long as you've taken the time to think it through. Everyone needs to honestly consider their abilities and imagine what a bear at full speed and close range would look like. If you can put a kill shot on one with a handgun then I will be in awe of your ability. Truthfully the first reply to this thread is probably the most accurate.

Bear spray for me. I have zero faith in my ability to stay composed enough to use a sidearm at a charging griz.

^^^This. And I shoot a lot (and carry just about 24/7).
But to answer the question, .44, .40, or 10mm should be good medicine in the right hands.

I forgot to mention it will be a rifle hunt near Fairbanks. Hunting with a partner who will also have a rifle. Thanks for the replies.

The biologist who was killed by a black bear in Alaska last year was probably shown those same statistics.

This is called using the exception, to prove the rule.

Schaaf, said it best. Good luck hitting that tiny target with a pistol, on a charging bear, while pissing your pants. If you are judging your skill with a pistol based on your ability to hit a target on a flat range, taking slow aimed shots, you are setting yourself up for disappointment.

All that being said, sometimes I carry both, and feel pretty good about it.

If you'll have a rifle I would just carry spray and forget the handgun. The most important thing is staying diligent about having your spray on you and easy accessible at all times. Same goes for the rifle, keep it loaded and handy wherever you go.

Carry something with lots of knockdown power that imparts tons of hydrostatic shock. mtmuley

Just wondering, when this enraged grizzly charges you, what are you gonna do with the rifle in your hands, throw it on the ground?

Aren't you planning to hunt near Fairbanks? No "brown bears" in that area. There are grizzlies though... of which are basically the same size as the lessor 48 bears. 200-500ish pounds.

Also will you be rifle hunting? If so, I wouldn't worry to much about pistol or spray. Piece of mind I guess. The only time I carry a pistol is if I'm not packing a rifle. The best handgun for bears is a rifle, no question about it.

They are all grizzly. “Brown” bears are grizzlies. All the same species.

You only need to take a lightweight .22 caliber and a annoying partner. A round in your partners knee, and your home free.

Granted that I have no experience hunting in Grizzly country, If it was me, I would carry both if weight wasn't an issue. If weight was an issue, then I would carry Spray for close range and use my rifle as needed. I hear a lot of people say if you are charged by a bear shot it with your rifle. If this is your plan then carry your scope on a low power so you will be able to quickly acquire the target. This seems easier sad than done though. Under stress and trying to manage your fight vs. flight response, spray and pray might be easier then trying to hit a charging bear in a spot to stop it.

Last edited:
Aren't you planning to hunt near Fairbanks? No "brown bears" in that area. There are grizzlies though... of which are basically the same size as the lessor 48 bears. 200-500ish pounds.

Also will you be rifle hunting? If so, I wouldn't worry to much about pistol or spray. Piece of mind I guess. The only time I carry a pistol is if I'm not packing a rifle. The best handgun for bears is a rifle, no question about it.

Agree with this, completely.
I carry a 44 mag w/hard cast, heavy bullets when I fish. When I hunt I have a rifle. If you're carrying a rifle a hand gun is just extra weight. Packing meat, a handgun is easier. If you decide to take a handgun, make sure using it is 2nd nature for you. Sprays usually work on brown/grizzly, but their use on black bears can leave a lot to be desired. Neither a spray or a handgun will do you any good if its not close to hand when its needed. If you carry it in a pack, a quick prayer will work just as good.
Contrary to general belief, there aren't bears waiting behind every other tree or bush here.
Also be aware that a DLP is investigated by the bunny cops and if you do need to kill a bear, be prepared to show the trooper the skid marks in your pants and the bear drool on your boots.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stravic
Back