Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

sidearm caliber in bear country

okie archer

Me and a friend are planning a Alaska Moose this year. I was reading in the regulations packet AK game & fish sent me and it said that a .44 Magnum pistol might be inadequate for Brown Bears. What size would you guys recommend?

Not AK but i live in heavy griz country and most here carry .44 or a glock10mm either with hardcast bullets. I love and trust my 44s so thats what i usually carry.

Research says bear spray. Faster and easier to use at close range.

What that research says is spray is single digit percentage points more affective at certain distances, and within first encounters. The guys at the IGBC and other MT bear biologists I know all carry .40 or .45s. That tells me enough.

What that research says is spray is single digit percentage points more affective at certain distances, and within first encounters. The guys at the IGBC and other MT bear biologists I know all carry .40 or .45s. That tells me enough.

Probably carrying spray and a sidearm .41 caliber or larger is the way to go like you mention. Redundancy is good, as well as repeat encounters when a bear just won't leave a gun might be the only option.

Bear spray for me. I have zero faith in my ability to stay composed enough to use a sidearm at a charging griz.

The Grizzlies in the lower 48 are smaller than the Brown Bears in Alaska. So, you’re more than likely going to need a “large” handgun or a shotgun w/ slugs for close encounters.

Aren't you planning to hunt near Fairbanks? No "brown bears" in that area. There are grizzlies though... of which are basically the same size as the lessor 48 bears. 200-500ish pounds.

Also will you be rifle hunting? If so, I wouldn't worry to much about pistol or spray. Piece of mind I guess. The only time I carry a pistol is if I'm not packing a rifle. The best handgun for bears is a rifle, no question about it.

That is true when only looking at fatalities. When looking at injuries the spray is over 90% effective and firearms are only around 50% effective. I'd post the research link but couldn't get my phone to do it.

Carry as big as you've got. 44 mag better than nothing. load it with cast core and lots of powder.
An old Alaskan guide I sat next to at one of the winter banquets told me a while back that they carry
short barrel shotguns with slugs. said it's the only thing they trust to penetrate the thick skull on big bears.

That is true when only looking at fatalities. When looking at injuries the spray is over 90% effective and firearms are only around 50% effective. I'd post the research link but couldn't get my phone to do it.

The biologist who was killed by a black bear in Alaska last year was probably shown those same statistics.

Research says bear spray. Faster and easier to use at close range.

Agree with bear spray, but it does not reduce the chance to rationalize with my other half to buy another gun... :)

ABSTRACT We present a comprehensive look at a sample of bear spray incidents that occurred in Alaska, USA, from 1985 to 2006. We
analyzed 83 bear spray incidents involving brown bears (Ursus arctos; 61 cases, 74%), black bears (Ursus americanus; 20 cases, 24%), and polar
bears (Ursus maritimus; 2 cases, 2%). Of the 72 cases where persons sprayed bears to defend themselves, 50 (69%) involved brown bears, 20
(28%) black bears, and 2 (3%) polar bears. Red pepper spray stopped bears’ undesirable behavior 92% of the time when used on brown bears,
90%for black bears, and 100%for polar bears. Of all persons carrying sprays, 98%were uninjured by bears in close-range encounters. All bearinflicted
injuries (n¼3) associated with defensive spraying involved brown bears and were relatively minor (i.e., no hospitalization required). In
7% (5 of 71) of bear spray incidents, wind was reported to have interfered with spray accuracy, although it reached the bear in all cases. In 14%
(10 of 71) of bear spray incidents, users reported the spray having had negative side effects upon themselves, ranging from minor irritation
(11%, 8 of 71) to near incapacitation (3%, 2 of 71). Bear spray represents an effective alternative to lethal force and should be considered as an
option for personal safety for those recreating and working in bear country. (JOURNAL OF WILDLIFE MANAGEMENT 72(3):640–645;
2008)
DOI: 10.2193/2006-452
https://wdfw.wa.gov/hunting/bear_cougar/bear/files/JWM_BearSprayAlaska.pdf

One anecdote does not change the math.

I understand. Personal ability is a huge factor. An inexperienced person probably does more harm than good.

That said, when that girl was being chewed on by that bear I'm sure her partner wished for a better option.

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mfrosty6
Back