Newly Proposed Montana Sheep Unit Faces Some Resistance

Hockett is only arguing with this because he is involved in the gravelly range allotment deal with Helle's and Rebish. Waltee is very knowledgeable and has put some extensive time into this sheep herd. Hockett is basically playing games because it looks bad that we will have a new sheep hunt in a unit that he has a lawsuit in regarding sheep (that's an entirely different topic, please don't derail this thread).

Last edited:
Hockett is only arguing with this because he is involved in the gravelly range allotment deal with Helle's and Rebish. Waltee is very knowledgeable and has put some extensive time into this sheep herd. Hockett is basically playing games because it looks bad that we will have a new sheep hunt in a unit that he has a lawsuit in regarding sheep (that's an entirely different topic, please don't derail this thread).

Glad to hear your strong support for Waltee, Carnage.

Although I highly respect and appreciate Hockett for his work and advocacy for wildlife, I agree with BigHornRam. At the end of the day, we need to get out of our "armchair" and trust in the work of the wildlife professionals with whom we entrust the important decisions.

If the hunter holds out for an older ram, and I know that isn't always the case, then it's hard to see a negative impact.

Taking one adult ram shouldn't adversely affect the population. The ewes will get bred regardless.

Does anyone know why the herd isn't growing?

A number of the sheep have been shot to prevent them contacting domestics. Not sure how many a year, or how often its happend, but I know its happened a few times.

I would suspect predation and lack of available habitat is the controlling factor. The area doesn't have a lot of "sheepy" country or escape terrain to provide endless population gowth. Couple that with being limited on dispersion due to conflicts above, I'm guessing the population is more, or less as big as it will ever be.

Neat to see they may open it up finally. The domestic pests need to go from the Gravellys there is a lot of available sheep habitat if they were gone.

http://missoulian.com/opinion/colum...cle_8ca4af27-521a-5463-a56d-49d9e7aad314.html

Interesting article to go along with this topic.

Last edited:
I'm with the biologist. One ram is not going to make any difference to the herd. Why not maximize hunter opportunity?

I agree with what Bambistew said above. The Greenhorns encompass a very small area. I would guess there are only a few thousand acres of sheep terrain there, if that. I wouldn't expect the numbers to ever get much higher unless they are allowed to spread into the Gravellys. The problem is there are thousands of domestic sheep grazing in the Gravellys. Until those sheep are no longer there, this herd won't see significant growth.

I agree that harvest of one sheep from the population won't hurt. That said, as long as hunters are satisfied with scraps, that's what we will get.

As has been mentioned the Gravely range and the centennial range to the south are grazed heavily by domestic sheep/hooved locusts. This leaces no room for dispersal out of the Greenhorns.

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mthunter137
Back