PEAX Equipment

Kenetrek boots so heavy vs hiking boots

I've got the uninstalled Hardscrabble hikers and use them all season. They might be heavy compared to light hikers, but compared to a pair of Scarpa's that I've had, they're not that much heavier.

I like mine for the stability, waterproofness, etc. I use them year-round and paired with gaiters, I'm not afraid to use them in late season. In fact, hiked 2 miles this morning with them in the new snow. The only time my feet get cold is when I stop. Solved that problem with toe warmers.

My only complaint is that after three years of heavy use, I have to send them in to be rebuilt. Was hoping to get 4-5 years out of them before sending them back.

And I guess I'm from that experience of the 1970's when we tromped the mountains. foothills, and Unlimited Sheep Units in those old European/Italian made boots. There you had weight!!! Look at the "old timer" pictures on the different threads here! Guys like me form those days feel like anything built today is a Bedroom Slipper![/QUOTE]
Putting on & lacing up the Tibets next to the old Lowa's & Meindel mountaineering boots I wore all over the Sierras & half the Cascades is night & day. Slippers from loggers...those boots on cold winter mornings in a tent were a pain.

Whey you're packing out an elk quarter or half a buck wearing a lightweight pair of boot with little ankle support and no stiff sole over steep, rocky broken terrain, you'll wish you had a substantial pair of boots.

Whey you're packing out an elk quarter or half a buck wearing a lightweight pair of boot with little ankle support and no stiff sole over steep, rocky broken terrain, you'll wish you had a substantial pair of boots.

I've been there in my lightweight boots and had no regret. To each his own. Bottom line is each person has their individual preference. There is no "right" answer here.

I've been there in my lightweight boots and had no regret. To each his own. Bottom line is each person has their individual preference. There is no "right" answer here.
Exactly! I could have packed my bull out this year in lighter weight boots with no problem. That said, I am fat and have weak ankles, so in some terrain I can really appreciate stiffer, stouter boots.

I wear kennetreks because they are the only boot I have tried that I can get to last. I'm on year three now with my pair and no slowing down. I wear them from September through bow and rifle season and then on through trapping season which ends March. Every other boot I've tried has been shot after one year

For the stiffness of Kenetrek without the weight, La Sportiva Trangos

They aren’t for real cold, snowy weather but archery and warmer rifle hunts they’re plenty.

I wore them in the mountains all last summer including to the NWT to hunt sheep and love them

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dalton14rocks
Back