Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

First time bear hunter

Ravenfo

Hello all,

I am taking 10 days of leave to go bear hunting in Idaho at the end of May. Since I have never hunted bear, I was hoping you all could give some pointers, such as locations and whatnot. I got me a new mossberg patriot .375 ruger and I am just dying to use it lol.

Hiking distance is of no concern to me. I have a 4x4 Jeep that I will be taking up with me, otherwise I was planning to be on foot. I figure I will just pack some MREs for food lol.

I have been reading that unit 10, 12, or 1 may be the way to go.

Thanks!

Check out here.

There are bears all over ID. Put boots on the ground and you'll be set. Follow the greenup from the valley floor to the top and bears will be there.

Ive read all through this forum and I still cant determine what unit I should really go to. Just putting boots on ground isnt going to ensure a successful hunt... though i wish it would. Google can only tell me so much.

I keep seeing unit 39, 1, 10 and 12 to be good units. What are your opinions?

Last edited:
Ive read all through this forum and I still cant determine what unit I should really go to. Just putting boots on ground isnt going to ensure a successful hunt... though i wish it would. Google can only tell me so much.

I keep seeing unit 39, 1, 10 and 12 to be good units. What are your opinions?

If someone told you the exact drainage they killed a bear in the previous season it wouldn't ensure a successful hunt, there are way too many variables at play. There is no golden unit, and no matter how much research you do as soon as you get to the trail head your plans will be thrown out the window.

Instead focus on learning about where bears will be in the spring, than focuses on identifying those habitats in a few units, then look at how easy it will be to get to those areas during the spring. For instance bears are likely to be in avalanche slides and on the top of mts as they green up, you might find the main road in x unit isn't regularly plowed so in may it will be closed. Therefore you need to hunt unit B. because you can get to a trail head. Also think about your physical limitations, can you hack it slogging through snow to for a couple miles to get above snowline or would you be more productive hiking logging roads. If the latter find a unit with miles of closed logging roads. One guy might like unit X because it has poor access and he is willing to hike his butt off and he thinks it's the best unit, another guy might hate it for the same reason so accessing for peoples favorite units is futile.

The key to being successful on a bear hunt is acquiring knowledge about where bears are going to be during the spring and then being flexible and adapting your strategy to what you find in the field. That and putting in lots of hard work.

I'd definitely hunt unit 39 or unit 1. If you hunt 39, get at least halfway up the MF and glass away looking for the green up. Mid to late May is good.

wllm1313: Thank you! I am definitely willing to put in the work. I have been trying to use the Idaho hunt planner, and onx maps to figure out where I wanna go. I haven't been to Idaho since I was a kid, so it has been difficult trying to figure out what will be feasible and open.

I do appreciate your advice!

Idhikker: Thank you as well. I appreciate your input and I will focus on those two areas.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bgeary
Back