A Few Days in TN

Hatchie Dawg

I mentioned in an earlier post that I was a little slow to start deer hunting around home this year and that carried over a bit to duck season. For years duck hunting was my bread and butter. I did not hunt big game and did not miss it. I had and really still have just one duck hunting buddy. We chased waterfowl all over West TN as well as southeastern ND during the best years before the net made it so popular. When birds are working we hardly have to speak, as we read them the same way after so many trips together. For various reasons we are not hunting together quite as much as we used too, but still get out a good bit.

We hunt from the MS to the TN, but I spent most of my time around home this year, sometimes alone and sometimes with my good friend. Most of my acquaintances have switched to leases and private fields. They kill a ton of ducks and rack up fabulous numbers but I still bang it out on the public. At times I've even been a little embarrassed to say "I hunt public", but I'm getting over that. One morning this season we were in the middle of the grunt work of a hunt which happened to be breaking ice that day, and it came to me how much I loved what I was doing. Reading the river gauges and deciding which hole we can make it to, figuring a back way in to beat the other groups, setting a good spread for that particular day, humping gear in and out, and yes even breaking ice. I love it. My numbers will never be grand but by gosh I love it.

Here are some pics from a few days in TN

I started with a scouting trip into a hole unhuntable for several seasons secondary to weeds but found they had apparently choked themselves out

Untitled by jeff lansdale, on Flickr

Thats the same pack I use out west hunting elk at elevation. It will hold 8 standard decoys a robo and a home made motion decoy we call a pooter. I assume most here know a beaver hut when you see it, but just in case there you go.

The hole

Another scout day. Scrapped out a few.

!st serious hunt. I was on flood water that day and could take the big boat all the way in

Had to put in off the highway that day

Hunted with my good friends son "The Griebler" and another young man the next day. Griebler grew up on the back of a boat basically. He is at the center of a group of hard core young duck hunters that now roam as my friend and I use to. Don't let the baby faces fool ya. They are competent and driven.

Coming out of the woods

Another day solo. Broke a little ice that day. River was low so boat, walk, boat

this ice chandelier was hanging in the river after a cold snap and drop in water.

Got a little snow one day

and another good hunt

My good friend Troy

Ended up solo again the last Sat. Maybe the best day of the season. A very, very quick limit

Last edited:
Totally different habitat from my Kansas stomping grounds. You had lots of duck adventures this year for sure!

Outstanding photos. I love hunting flooded timber.

Super!! Waterfowling is something I really need to make an effort on learning to do. Quite a bit of opportunity here for it that I don't take advantage of. Now to get the dog to sit still....

Very successful season right there! That is on my bucket list too hunt the green in flooded timber, very different hunting than where I grew up in the dakotas and now here in Idaho. Congrats!
Matt

Back