Suggestion for a starter reloading kit

Would a person really save money buying things separately new? I guess I haven't priced things out too much, but if I were to buy all of the Lee stuff that came in my kit separately I think it would have been much more expensive. Getting used stuff would definitely help though.

My goal was not lowest cost, it was value (a balance between cost and quality). Also, I am a gadget nerd and I liked picking out each item with a decent understanding of what it was, how I was going to use it and what the alternatives were. It took me an extra few hours to make my choices and probably cost me a little more, but that was because I chose a few nicer items - if I remember correctly the starter kits weren’t much more inexpensive than getting items separately on Amazon. The, “save 40%” type marketing is usually misleading as it it 40% off full MSRP that no one actually has to pay in reality. But again, I am not advocating one approach over the other, just offering one option.

Last edited:
I ended up buying a kit to get started. Everything in the kit has treated me right except the scale. It came with an electronic/battery powered scale, and while it was never really 'off' it was a pain in the ass to get it to read sometimes. I've since bought a balance beam scale and its 100x faster.

I've loaded about 100 rifle rounds (7mm-HT and .308) with my Lee Challenger kit I got a couple months ago. Most everything it came with is useful, but much of it I'm looking to upgrade very soon. The press works great and I seem t9 be coming out with a good end result.

Bought a Lee hand press and discovered for the extras (grain scale and calipers) Harbor Freight is your friend. BTW the 4 shot one hole .223 I posted about was loaded using the Lee hand press.

I have owned the Lee kit for awhile now and only thing I have replaced is the scale. I bought a hornaday auto charge. Does everything the high priced kits do.

Lee isn't bad on most stuff I have. The dies are the thing I don't like the most though. The priming tools are great for the $$

Lee isn't bad on most stuff I have. The dies are the thing I don't like the most though. The priming tools are great for the $$

Curious, what don't you like about the Lee dies? I am a beginner and have the Lee dies and they seem to work great - but I am new enough that I don't know what I don't know.

At least the ones I have seem to have a little harder time getting bullets seated without as much runout, and IMO the internal finish is not as smooth as a RCBS leading to more chance of sticking a case. Most guys probably don't check runout so it may not bother them.

At least the ones I have seem to have a little harder time getting bullets seated without as much runout, and IMO the internal finish is not as smooth as a RCBS leading to more chance of sticking a case. Most guys probably don't check runout so it may not bother them.

Thanks - I had not measured that yet, but have recently added a hornady gauge for later as I drill down on precision. An interesting further discussion on the topic - http://www.gunnersden.com/index.htm.rifle-reloading-bullet-run-out.html

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dyaddof
Back