Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Arizona - Worth the wait/cost?

Regarding if you were just getting points. Do you have to apply for the point only option during the time of the application species for that animal...or can it be done later like WY?

You have to do it in application period.

buying AZ elk preference points makes a ton of sense if you already plan on hunting in AZ to start with. You need to buy the hunting license anyways. But if you are like me just wanting a PP and will not be hunting in that state this year, shelling out $150 (or whatever it is now) for a point hurts. I bought one last year, I am not sure I will buy one this year.

I just shelled out $385 to that state. I'm nice to my son, but it's his last year of parent welfare there. We both applied for antelope with a slim chance in hell to draw. I applied for elk and he got an elk point. We won't be hunting there this year, but I've said that before and 4 times have been wrong.

Explain ? One license will get you a point each year . Meaning you can buy 2 points on one license ?
Different species yes. You buy an elk point, pronghorn, mule deer...etc. But not two points for the same species.

Explain ? One license will get you a point each year . Meaning you can buy 2 points on one license ?

AZ deer app deadlines:
2018 - June 12
2019 - June 11
2020 - June 9
2021 - June 8
2022 - June 14

If you're like me and don't care about the October 11 deadline for Bison/Javelina/Bear then you can buy a license on June 14 and won't need to buy another one for almost 2 years.

You can apply with the same license for 2 years if you time things out right but only for one draw or the other. If you span 2 elk/pronghorn draws with the same license you would end up short on the 2nd deer/sheep application. You can stagger them out and make them work for 18 months though if the calendar works right.

Licenses are good for 365 days and they need to be valid at the close of the application deadline.

You get 2 application periods for Elk if you buy it on the last day of the app period. Elk then Deer, then Elk.

If you apply for Deer and Elk, you shift the license purchase timeframe and you will get 3 Elk app periods with 2 licenses, then 3 Deer app periods; Elk/Deer/Elk, then Deer/Elk/Deer, then back to Elk/Deer/Elk.

The one caveat, the app and season dates shift back in 2023 so a license used for 2022 Elk won't be valid for the 2023 Elk app period. You'll want to start fresh with a 2023 license purchased/start date on the last day of the Elk app period, Feb 14 I believe.

AZ lets you choose the start date of the license, so you can buy it anytime prior and choose the last day of the app period as the start date. Once that's done, you can then immediately go in and apply; just tick the box that confirms you have a license, and then input the license number in the available field. I do that every year.

Untitled.jpg

Last edited:
I debate this with myself all the time. I'm entrenched in almost all the Western states. I'd really like to get out of the longterm point building game for things that take more than a lifetime. Fact is, I have plenty of enjoyment hunting over-the-counter and easier to draw units. Heck I could spend a week hunting quail in Arizona and be perfectly happy. The deer unit I like to hunt in Arizona takes only a point to draw and it's a blast. Arizona makes sense to build points in all the species since it's not much more expensive when you already have the license. I wish I never got involved in states like Wyoming where it's super expensive for points for nonresidents for the big 3. Hopefully it pays off someday.

Back