Arizona - Worth the wait/cost?

bhuntin

I'm looking at getting into Arizona but can't decide if it's really worth cost/wait for a tag. I am in no way thinking that if I get to AZ I will shoot a 400 inch bull but would like the chance to kill at least one or two nice bulls before my time on earth is over. I hate to put a number on what kind of elk I would shoot or pass but something in the 330-350 class would be great. Knowing that I'm 38 this year and it would likely be 4-5yrs before I could draw even a late rifle tag and longer if I tried to hold out for an earlier season, is it really worth it? I likely won't make it down to AZ to hunt other game in the next 10 years for sure as I have a young family and I don't have the free time or money to make that happen right now. Will I regret when I'm 50-55 that I could have 10-15 points in AZ and hopefully more time on my hands? Should I instead focus my time and resources on other states like CO and WY and try to go back to the same area every couple of years.

Please feel free to PM me with any helpful advice.

That's a good question...really is.

I decided it was worth it and began applying in 2000. I have drawn 4 rifle bull tags there since.

I would recommend that if you decide to do it, may as well max out your license expenditure, and either apply, or buy points for pronghorn, sheep, and deer while you're at it.

No. Arizona is not worth the wait or the cost. Especially if you like big bulls and ridiculous amounts of public land and opportunity :cool:

You can draw the first year applying in AZ. It's arguably the greatest elk hunting in the world for a reason. If you can afford the $185 minimum a year, I wouldn't be hesitating.

Ask anyone who has drawn their "dream tag" if it was worth it....

Apply to as many states as your discretionary income allows.

I applied for over 17 years and finally got a unit 9 early archery tag...it was a great hunt! I never skipped a beat and I am applying again. I do t think I will ever get 9 again but a guy can dream. This is also the first year my son can apply as well. Now there are two from our house in the draw. AZ has been very good to me over the years with elk, multiple deer, javalina, and multiple turkey tags. So...for me, it’s the top state to apply!

Seems like AZ could be a good state to start buying points for my son. He’s 10 now and would have 7+ points before he would apply. If I’ve read the Regs correctly it’s only $25 for an elk point and he can get points from now.
Anyone else buying AZ points for their kids?

Seems like AZ could be a good state to start buying points for my son. He’s 10 now and would have 7+ points before he would apply. If I’ve read the Regs correctly it’s only $25 for an elk point and he can get points from now.

Is 25 for an elk point only for youth? Wouldn't you still need to buy the tag to get the points? I've been considering Arizona as well but I don't want to fork over th 150 or 160 whatever it is just for a point

Yes, that's youth only. Don't think you need to buy a tag to get a point, just a $15 license (which is $160 for adults).

Is 25 for an elk point only for youth? Wouldn't you still need to buy the tag to get the points? I've been considering Arizona as well but I don't want to fork over th 150 or 160 whatever it is just for a point

Yes, the hunting license is $160 and an additional $15 per species for a point. Additional $650 for bull elk if drawn.

That has been my hang up too. I am in a position to do it for a retirement hunt but thinking about that 185 for the next 5 years makes me cringe.

A few things to consider with AZ and buying elk points. AZ can change the way things work with non res points when ever they feel like it . I have been buying elk points for 14 years now( in to deep to quit now, archery only ) and last year they changed the draw up and it knocked me backwards several years ! You can always get SUPER lucky (slim odds !!) and draw a great tag in the random draw but what used to take 10 points is now taking 14 or more points. You will always hear that all units in AZ are great units....if so just put in for 6a or 4b and don't even try for 9 10 23 1 3c 27 and so on. You can travel to AZ to get the permanent hunters ed. point but what's the cost of that ? travel, hotel ,food.....on top of your $160 plus $ 7.50 When you buy points in AZ it cost (I haven't put in yet, it might have gone up ) $160 for the non res license (required) and $7.50 for the point per specie's, per year. BUZZ H has drawn those late rifle tags but I remember him posting up the stories about his hunt and he had one of his friends and a top professional elk guide pointing him the right direction.......big advantage there that most guys won't have. Late hunts can be really tough. So yes, AZ has great elk but just remember when you get to where you think you want to be AZG&F and point creep can really mess your plans up and set you back to where you were 3 or 4 years before. Good luck if you decide to go for it.

I'm not sure where you're getting your numbers. Non-resident bonus points are $15 per species, and your son would need a $5 non-resident youth license. Maybe there is a different charge for non-resident aliens? I've never seen that category in the regs, but maybe it's a thing.

To me, building AZ points for a 10 year old is a no-brainer. Including the loyalty point after five years of applying, you can get nine points for $160.

Biscuit Hunter - you're correct, my mistake. I should have said $20 per point ($5+$15). I will try and buy a elk point now.

I would make Arizona my highest priority of any states that require a non-resident license purchase as a requirement to apply. The return is far greater than other states that require a NR license purchase.

There is no other state that requires a NR license where you will realistically draw an elk or deer tag with 6-8 points. You mentioned the late rifle hunts in AZ. They are similar dates, I would say better dates, than the late seasons of Nevada and Utah, both of which require far more luck to draw with 7+/- points. You get to hunt the same caliber of elk that the early rifle and archery hunters are chasing. Just tougher conditions. Having hunted elk in most western states, if you told me I would get an AZ late rifle elk tag every other year in exchange for no other limited entry elk tags the rest of my life, I would be on that like a rat on a Cheeto.

The same with deer. You can have some excellent hunts at some pretty decent point levels in AZ.

With AZ being a bonus point state, there is nothing that prevents you from rolling the dice while you are building points. I tell people that unless you have some serious time constraints that year preventing you from going hunting, I would never just "buy a point." I would apply and hope I am that guy we all roll are eyes about; the guy who strikes the jackpot with low points and grabs one of the great tags.

I like AZ having some glory deer tags that are promoted heavily by the application services. That gets many high point apps focused on the Strip or late Kaibab hunts. In the process, a lot of high point guys ignore the other hunts, some of which can be really good hunts for the points invested.

Antelope and sheep are merely lottery tickets you can buy for $15, given you already have the licenses. Unlike a few lucky Hunt Talkers, I expect to die with my AZ sheep points intact. But, I dribble away a lot more than $15 on other hunting expenses that turn out to be an ever worse investment.

You ask, "Is it worth it?" I asked the same question when I started carpet bombing the western states in the mid to late 1990s. Every year I asked the question and every year I realized more and more that it was definitely worth it. Today you may question that investment. Three years from now you will be glad you did it. By the time you are old like me, you will call it some of the best money you ever spent.

Now that CO is going to allow applications, effectively the purchase of points, without full application fee, you should build there. And the same for Wyoming. But, if you budget allows, carve out enough to get in the Arizona system as soon as you can. You won't regret it when you are sitting on a rock, admiring an Arizona sun rise, and knowing that there are some great bulls within a two mile radius of your location.

You are young and "swinging the bat" as many times as you can with these opportunities is highly recommended. I certainly concur with other posters comments. Life is short and options and flexibilities to find adventures can tend to decrease as age and other family or work responsibilities come along.

I would also agree and speak to the earlier post on the Late AZ Elk Hunts, in some areas, being fickle.

On the last assignment of my career before retirement and our move back home to Montana. My wife and I lived for three years in Arizona within the White Mountains. We were successful with resident permits for the late season hunt in 2015. We had only two points. Our unit was out of Alpine AZ and included the Blue Wilderness country. We focused on the Blue. Scouted a great deal before season. Built our camp and hunted the full seven days allotted. Weather was very dry, warm, and mild. Much like late September or early October in Montana. We covered a lot of country on foot and glassed from a number of points and ridges. We had a great hunt and a fabulous time in some splendid elk country. We never fired a shot or saw an elk. Visited one day on a far ridge with some seasoned locals packing out a mid sized bull on their mules.

We all know Hunting is Hunting. That kind of outcome sometimes happens. But I agree that year in and year out late season elk hunting in AZ can be very rewarding and productive. Glad we had the chance to experience the hunt.

YES
AZ should be a must apply state if you want to hunt big elk. I've drawn a glory deer tag and an elk tag in the last decade or so and I can draw another elk tag again this year with 7 plus loyalty point.
Even on the limited opportunity "crappy hunts" we've harvested 350" elk on public limited opportunity hunts pretty much anyone can draw. When I blow out my points I'll probably do at least 1 of those limited opportunity hunts again now that I know where the bulls like to go in that unit and no one really wants to get off their quads to go get them.
You could theoretically hunt AZ every year or 2 on the limited opportunity hunts and have a shot at a big bull once you get to know the area really well.

Now you've got me thinking about buying AZ points for me! I definitely would if I wasn't limited to a maximum of one overseas hunt a year.

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back