Hello from Ohio

shaffe48

My name is Dan and I grew up mostly hunting private land in Michigan. Farm country in the Midwest doesn't have a lot of public land and that we do have is pretty congested. When I was stationed in NC, I was introduced to some reasonably wide open public land in the Croatan of coastal NC. But as I got out of the service, I bought a .300 mag thinking I was going back to school in AK or WY. In the end, I chose OH for the job opportunities but the dream kept alive.

Now that I'm working again I'm starting to go for it. I'm not a big fan of the once in a lifetime guided hunt. For the same cost, you can go on multiple diy hunts, probably get as many animals in the long run, and actually know somewhat what you are talking about by the time you are finished. We went black bear hunting off the road in AK last year. We only saw one bear, but we learned a lot and then some for the future. I'm going back in May this time hiring a transporter. Doing the same road hunt again in the fall. I've also been driving up to Michigan to do some grouse hunting with my dog on public land. In the long run, I might try black tail, pronghorn, or Caribou.

Welcome from NE Ohio. If you're into public hunting, check out our BHA Ohio chapter.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mfrosty6
Back