NM Drought.

hank4elk

Just a heads up folks. It's extremely dry in SW NM this year,the Gila in particular. 4-14% of normal snowpack,which is almost none.
Critters still looking healthy after a good year last,but it will not last.
I was up on Slaughter Mesa yesterday trying out new tires & scouting for firewood collecting areas. The road is usually closed by snow this time of year.These pics were taken @ around 9k,it was 65 degSlaughter 18  & Moon 163.JPGSlaughter 18  & Moon 166.JPGSlaughter 18  & Moon 159.JPGLittle buckSlaughter 18  & Moon 180.JPGJust broke inSlaughter 18  & Moon 183.JPG

Thanks for the info. That doesn't sound good for going into the summer. I know a lot of us are looking at the New Mexico conditions as apps are due next month. Praying for some more snow over the entire west!

I ended up killing my bull in Chama near 10000 feet in December. The guide told me that there is normally several feet of snow on at that elevation but there was none when I was there. I talked to him in January and it wasn't much better. Sounds like it may be a problem up there as well. Thanks for the info hank.

I'm in South Central NM and it hasn't rained here since September and the only snow we've had was a couple weeks ago about 1 1/2 inches that was gone by noon. Every day I give my horses water I wonder if there's going to be any......It is DRY !! If we don't get moisture by summer I bet the forest will be CLOSED. Hope not.

South Central Colorado is currently about the same. Some are saying it's the driest it's been in the Winter for some 37 years. Weather's been in the 50's lately for daytime highs. Unless things change, it might be a colossal Forest Fire season???

Central/Northern Co is the same. I am concerned with our lack of precipitation this year. No snow hardly. Today was 55 degrees. Unreal.

Brother talked to a friend tonight. Bringing cattle out of unit 34. No water. Elk are hurting.

Also fire in one of the deep canyons.

Scary.

Very dry & smokey here in Catron County last couple weeks.Fires in AZ & Zuni. Grass is trying to grow now that it has warmed during the day.
Extreme fire danger today!
Come on monsoons!!!!

I wake up every morning and do a little rain dance. Most of the tanks I'm familiar with are dry, grass is brown, and it isn't improving.
I am REALLY hoping for not only some rain, but that people are extra cautious while camping.

I wake up every morning and do a little rain dance. Most of the tanks I'm familiar with are dry, grass is brown, and it isn't improving.
I am REALLY hoping for not only some rain, but that people are extra cautious while camping.

Ditto,

there were many fires left unattended during the youth turkey hunt according to Gila FS. Hundreds in the state.....
the 2 fires near Bearwallow in AZ are under investigation as arson.

You guys sure know how to make a guy not as excited as I was yesterday about my gila rifle tag.... That said 2017 was a severe drought in NE Montana and we still had as big if not bigger deer and elk. So I'm keeping my hopes up!!

You guys sure know how to make a guy not as excited as I was yesterday about my gila rifle tag.... That said 2017 was a severe drought in NE Montana and we still had as big if not bigger deer and elk. So I'm keeping my hopes up!!

Same here! How concerned should I be about finding water for my 2nd rifle gila hunt I was lucky enough to draw? I've never been to the Gila or anywhere in NM. Are there springs or any water in the back country? I'd hate to have to pack in drinking water...

Same here! How concerned should I be about finding water for my 2nd rifle gila hunt I was lucky enough to draw? I've never been to the Gila or anywhere in NM. Are there springs or any water in the back country? I'd hate to have to pack in drinking water...

Filter water.There is some water in Gila. One good thing is elk will be on water this year ,if you find it....

It's the same in SE Colorado if anyone is planning on antelope hunting. We've had about 3 inches of snow all winter and haven't had a really good soaking rain since about September. It's supposed to rain tomorrow and saturday, but not enough to do any good. We also have a couple of fires going and it's only April. I can't imagine what the summer is going to bring. I've been out a couple of times and the fawn crops doesn't look promising.

Last edited:
Back