PEAX Equipment

300 H&H Magnum Load

My late father bought a 300 H&H Rem 721 new in the 1950s and it was his main hunting rifle from that time until 2002 when killed his last deer with it. He began to reload ammo for it in the early 1960s and his favorite load for it was always 67 grains of imr 4350 with a 165 hornady bullet. He killed animals all over NA and in Africa with it.

Thanks for all the responses! From the sounds of it, I think I'll just stick with my OTC Nosler 180 ABs (but I'll keep my brass, just in case).

Definitely keep the brass, even if you never intend to reload for it. H&H brass is often tough to come by, and 100 round bags can be good trading stock at gun shows, especially if you let it sit in a buddy's tumbler for a couple hours.

Winchester has produced brass for the H&H. My pre 64 model 70 300 H&H was my first hunting rifle. Started out using 180 grain core locks then 180 grain Hornadys. Then I found the 180 grain partitions and used them since. 65 grains IMR 4350 with the 180 Nosler is listed as max by Nosler. I chronographed that load in a Remington model 700 with a 24 inch barrel. It averaged 3009 fps at 4000 ft elevation here at Seeley Lake. A number of years ago I had my Model 70 300 H&H re chambered to 300 Weatherby. I still use the 180 Nosler partition in that rifle. I experimented with AB's and 200 grain partitions but the 180 just work's.

You have a great rifle that deserves to be used in the field and not a safe queen.

Dan

Yes premium factory loads are pricey in the 300 H & H...>$75 a box in Alaska.

I've hunted and reloaded with the 300 H & H for 25 + years primarily moose in Alaska.
(I use a .270 for caribou/sheep)

My reload was 180 gr Nozler partition with 68 grains of IMR 4831 which was fine.

Recently I've been reloading 180gr Barnes TSX with 64 grains of IMR 4831.

Both reloads performed well on big bull moose with proper bullet placement.

I do like IMR4 831 for the 300, and IMR 4350 for my .270.

What caliber do you recommend for moose? I noticed you said with proper placement so I assumed there was a better caliber you had in mind.

That is an exceptionally cool rifle. I agree with pointer, a red Decelerator pad would look great and actually give you some recoil relief over the current pad.

Personally, I'd look at some all copper bullets in the 168-180 grain range.

What caliber do you recommend for moose? I noticed you said with proper placement so I assumed there was a better caliber you had in mind.

Your 300 H&H loaded with Nosler 180 Partition or Accubond will work just fine. Or go with the 200 grain versions. No matter what caliber you go with shot placement is key to success. I haven't found any e-tips to try but they are something to consider. Good luck.

Dan

Last edited:
That is an exceptionally cool rifle. I agree with pointer, a red Decelerator pad would look great and actually give you some recoil relief over the current pad.

Personally, I'd look at some all copper bullets in the 168-180 grain range.

I don't think an H&H should have a vortex on it. mtmuley

I opted for some NoslerCustom loads in 180 grain Etips. And I'd love to have nicer glass on it, muley, but I'm building out my hunting gear and it'll give me all I need for now. I can always upgrade in the future.

No 300 H & H has worked fine....
I and my hunting partner have used 180gr bullets in 300 H & H for moose in Alaska for over 30 years.

Either 180 gr Nozler partition or 180 gt Barnes TTSX have worked fine.

By shot placement I mean heart/lung boiler room...

I have a full box of .300 H&H Winchester Super Speed 180 gr. Silver tips. The yellow box, with an original price sticker of $10.05. The store it came from has been closed for decades. I'm guessing the box may be from the '60's. It was given to me in a mix of other ammo a guy wanted to get rid of. I don't have a rifle in that caliber. If anyone is interested, send me a PM.

Synthetic stock for Alaska.
Less felt recoil than my mountain rifle ....
300H&H.JPG
One disadvantage is for reloading it is difficult to find brass and
brass is expensive to purchase compared to other more popular cartridges.
Typically over a $1.00 per case...while I can usually find .270 brass for half the cost

in Fairbanks, factory loads are ~$75 per box of 180 gr accubonds...

Last edited:
Congrats on a fine rifle! How has it performed so far?

I have purchased used 375 H&H brass and resized it down to 300 H&H. The rifle doesn't care about the head stamp on the cartridge. Just that it is sized right and feeds properly when loaded.

My go to load is 165 gr Barnes TSX, with 71.0 grains of Reloader 22. Not the hottest load but performs very nicely in my 1952 Model 70.

I had a couple boxes of 180gr Nozler E-tips so I worked up a load with them.
Reloader 22 was the most accurate powder and my lowest variation in muzzle velocity was at 2850fps, so not real hot.

Worked fine on an early season moose hunt this past weekend.
101_0298.JPG

Back