Caribou Gear

packable down jacket?

lifesupport4u

Looking for the most durable packable down jacket to carry as part of my layering when glassing on cold mornings.

I bought a costco special and feathers started coming out of it after one trip out...

can you recommend a packable down jacket (at least 650 fill) that will hold up for many years?

The lighter the jacket, the more prone they are to tears. I tore a hole in the sleeve of my Sitka Kelvin while quartering a bull. Shit happens. I used a Tenacious Tape to patch it.

You might also look at something with Primaloft. Pros and cons to everything. Weight, durability, waterproof, warm when wet, coat, etc. Outdoor Gear Lab has good reviews on mountaineering brands. Great hunting brands to, like Sitka and First Lite.

That's strange I still am using my Costco jacket after 4 yrs and it's just got it's first tear, which is easily patched. IMO almost all are going to snag on something. I use mine for layering mostly using a rain type jacket over the top. I don't think there's a down puffy that is made for wading through the brush while hunting. For $30+ dollars you can buy many of those over some $200 one that will tear just the same. Just my 2 cents

I prefer synthetic to down when it comes to warmth. On cold windy days I think synthetic is warmer especially if your down has any sort of baffles in the down which create cold spots, at least for me. I have a couple down jackets and rarely wear them.

An added bonus with synthetic is when you stuff it in your pack when its half damp, its far easier to dry out once you put it on vs down, especailly cheap untreated down.

I've had good luck with Pertex shells on puffy/down coats for durability.

Sierra Trading Company has some awesome deals on high-end Columbia down jackets right now. I dont know what your budget is, but you might want to start there. I have just been using a vest under my softshell and have been really impressed with my Kuiu down vest.

I like Rab, Narrona, mountain hardware, and patagonia for down gear. Like bambistew said there are trade offs to synthetic v. down. Personally in CO, ID, WY and MT I prefer using down because it's usually pretty dry and down is lighter and compacts more. In AK or NW I would go synthetic.

Keep your eyes peeled in the REI outlet and Steep&Cheep, they almost always have good deals on puffys made by the good mountaineering brands. Last summer I found and Arcteryx for about 60% off, and it is a fantastic piece of kit.

I would definitely lean towards a synthetic, like others have said and I would not buy another puffy without a hood. my first one didn't have it, but my new one does and it it great to keep warmth in.

IMO, there is nothing that compares to down for warmth and pack ability. I run a Patagonia and layer it under a windproof rain jacket. That said, I'm switching to the Sitka Kelvin Lite for the upcoming season as a wanted synthetic and a hood. The reason I opted for synthetic was the ability to warm me up should I ever get caught in a cool/cold rain storm and get wet. Throw a synthetic on and you can begin to warm your core. Throw on a down coat and the insulation properties are compromised.

My initial impression of the Kelvin walking the dog in sub zero temps is that the hood is awesome, the cut is perfect (not bulky in the sleeves), but it is not as warm as my Patagonia.

I like my First Lite Uncompahgre Puffy Insulated Jacket -- and it looks like it's on sale 20% off right now.

I have the kuiu super down pro, it amazes me how something so light can be so warm. Now with that said I can’t attest to how it will hold up as I’ve only had it for a little over a month.

My walmart has the thisnulate jackets on sale for $15. Side by side with a Kelvin it was comparatively warm.

I like my First Lite Uncompahgre Puffy Insulated Jacket -- and it looks like it's on sale 20% off right now.

I picked one up on Black Friday and have been wearing it as a outer layer and as a mid layer. I was somewhat unprepared to go ice fishing when it was 15 degrees with a stiff NW wind one day and used it over top of a hooded sweatshirt and never got cold.

I've had my KUIU down jacket three years, no rips r tears. I am careful with it though. It compresses into its pocket and I've packed it that way on two trips. Now I just tried on the new super down jacket. It is a lot warmer. My two cents.

If your really focused on durability the kifaru is the way to go.
But you could buy a dozen Costco jackets for the same amount or 3 REI clearance jackets

Back