Montana Buffalo!

Crazy Warrior

I am in possession of a Montana buffalo tag. The one week season starts the 4th. I am planning the logistics as we speak. I'm on an extremely tight budget. Super excited to be looking for these yellowstone buffalo. If you have any tips or info please fill me in. I'll post updates.

contact FWP...not to be a dick about things but when talking such a large animal, logistics (sleds, people, alternative hunt locations) probably should have been hashed back in August after the draw.

The tag is not from the Montana draw. It's a tribal tag and there was no heads up it was going to happen. I've got plenty of helping hands though.

Crazy Warrior,

If I may ask..... Are you a Tribal Member taking part in this experience?

I read an article somewhere else this past week concerning the Tribal hunting of the Yellowstone Buffalo herd around Gardiner. Again I'm a bit sketchy on the details, but I believe 80 permits were being offered through the Nez Perce Tribal Offices. Sounded like they had "sold out" very quickly.

Guess I'm behind the times with the process and was unaware of the permits within the Tribal efforts down there.

Please enlighten me.

Thanks and good luck.

Crazy Warrior,

If I may ask..... Are you a Tribal Member taking part in this experience?

I read an article somewhere else this past week concerning the Tribal hunting of the Yellowstone Buffalo herd around Gardiner. Again I'm a bit sketchy on the details, but I believe 80 permits were being offered through the Nez Perce Tribal Offices. Sounded like they had "sold out" very quickly.

Guess I'm behind the times with the process and was unaware of the permits within the Tribal efforts down there.

Please enlighten me.

Thanks and good luck.

Yes, I'm a member of the blackfeet tribe. We were also issued 80 tags and they went very quickly. First come basis. I believe there's 5 or 6 tribes participating in this hunt through our treaty rights. I read in the Bozeman news there trying to have 600 buffalo harvested from the Yellowstone herds.

Drove into Gardiner this evening. The abundance of wildlife here is amazing. Elk, muleys, whitetail, and of course buffalo litter the landscape. Excited for what tomorrow brings.

Good luck in your hunt. I was lucky to receive a tag in the drawing conducted by MT FWP a few years back. The meat provided by that hunt was better than anything before or since.

So the first post was a seeking tips and advice post where this post was a live hunt post, same title different content, hence the different discussion topic areas as well.

My buddy in Sheridan, WY was up in Gardiner the last few days helping a friend who drew a MT tag like Randy drew several years ago. The weather in Yellowstone has been pretty easy this year and very few Bison have come off the Park into areas where it's legal to hunt. The closest any were to the Park boundary the last email I got from John last night was about a mile. I believe it's been very slow down in the Refuge on the south end of the Park too with very few Bison or elk even coming on to the Refuge this year.

I came out of the hunt buffaloless. First day I was there the closest herd to the boundary was about 2 miles to the interior of the boundary. The next couple days we experienced some heavy snow fall and dropping temperatures. Contrary to conventional thinking with the snow and cold, we watched the herds go further into the park and a few climbed elevation. This was the north side near Gardiner. The wintering elk were plenty and were found in every direction you looked. Although I didn't fill my tag, I had a great time. One of my greatest hunting experiences of my life.

Back