MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Which conservation group

:D

Good one Onpoint. Haha!

I'm going to look into PLWA. I always thought this was a Fed/State funded operation. https://plwa.org edit: Was thinking of PLPW. Would think as a Fed employee acroynms would be second nature... Heh!

Good thread.

Last edited:
Does any organization host a dry event?

As a BHA member I must say I don't want to attend a dry event anymore than I want to attend one as alcohol centric as a "pint night". Why focus on alcohol?. Why can't it just be there for those who choose to partake?
I do realize that booze brings people in but centering the events around alcohol also dictates the demographics.

As a BHA member I must say I don't want to attend a dry event anymore than I want to attend one as alcohol centric as a "pint night". Why focus on alcohol?. Why can't it just be there for those who choose to partake?
I do realize that booze brings people in but centering the events around alcohol also dictates the demographics.

Every banquet hosted by every organization makes a conscience decision to host a bar or hand out drink tickets for one very precise reason: Getting you liquored up means your wallet gets pried open much easier.

Regardless, lots of good habitat-based groups have been mentioned here. RMEF, Delta, PF, etc all do excellent work. Also check out your local state-based wildlife federation. Many of them combine advocacy & habitat improvement work.

I would agree with you if I'd never been to a BHA Pint Night, but I didn't find this to be the case. The one I went to had beer available, but it was definitely not the focal point. Just a way to build a little more camaraderie for some folks. Lot's of families and people with kids there. I quit drinking years ago, and I plan to stay quit, but the fact that the one big BHA event in my area last year was called a "Pint Night" didn't keep me away. It was fun, and raised a big load of money for public land advocacy.

Same. Went to one in C. Falls. While it was labeled "Pint Night" it was mainly a large gathering of all ages. A few families, etc.
I have maybe a drink a week. While there, nursed a microbrew, had a burger, chatted with several. It was a very laid back social setting. I must have left before any fundraising occurred though hearing that is good to know. I'll have to stick around a bit longer next time.

I don't drink anymore but I do go to the pint nights. It's not really about drinking even though they are at a pub and a portion of the sales go to the people putting it on. They are a heck of a lot easier to organize that a banquet and I can't think of another venue that would work as well as the typical brew-pub.

They should probably change the name to member appreciation night or something.

As for drinking at these functions.....
Russians drink a shit ton of vodka. There's maybe some contributing factors over there......
BHA and others like have really taken off as of late due to the political climate's relationship to back country (front country, any country...) hunting and angling, in part.
If things keep going the way they currently are in this regard, our alcoholic consumption may trend up (even more) due to factors over here...........

Last edited:
Every banquet hosted by every organization makes a conscience decision to host a bar or hand out drink tickets for one very precise reason: Getting you liquored up means your wallet gets pried open much easier.

Regardless, lots of good habitat-based groups have been mentioned here. RMEF, Delta, PF, etc all do excellent work. Also check out your local state-based wildlife federation. Many of them combine advocacy & habitat improvement work.

Friend formerly worked with a group of ladies who helped organize and run auctions for fund raising. They took 10% off the top. Simple formula; 2-3 free drinks, ideally no spouses, group provided bio of who's who and who doesn't like who. Gorgeous blonde on your arm with a few drinks, no wife to hold the wallet, and pointing out your arch rival is gonna out bid you. $50K for NRA Red Rider BB Gun one night.

To elkmagnet point. Alcohol as part of an event with goals and purpose makes sense. Alcohol as the purpose makes no sense. Been though that stage of life and I'm glad it's in the past!

I expect this will ruffle some feathers, but I give to DU and the RMEF. Regarding DU, I always enjoyed the articles written by Don Thomas. The situation where he and DU parted company is unfortunate. However, the organization still does some great work ! I have hunted on and observed DU projects across Canada and the US. The waterfowl and their habitats really need our help. In the end, who or what really suffers when donations to DU are withheld due to one poorly executed decision by those in the organization ???

If that dollar go to PLWA and not DU then public access to Montana waterways certainly stands to benefit.

I currently support PLWA and RMEF. I'm not opposed to BHA, but am not currently a member or advocate for them yet either.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tinhunter
Back