Caribou Gear Tarp

Which conservation group

Jmnhunter

I'm trying to figure out which group to put some money towards, in the past I thought this was easy, I usually gave to DU and or PF. I like the idea of my money going towards habitat that benefits everything from pollinators to deer. I looked into BHA since i love the public land approach, but from what I've gathered, my membership money only goes towards advocacy. It would be nice to know my money is staying somewhat local, as I know I can go pheasant/duck hunting and see the public lands showing where membership monies are going.
here in MN there are local Deer and waterfowl conservation groups all the way to the national, DU, PF, and Delta groups.

maybe I just go back to DU or Delta waterfowl? I like PF's mission, but due some volunteer work I did in the past for them, I would rather give to a different organizaiton

Muley Fanatic Foundation

* I missed the fact that you're in MN. MFF isn't very local for you.

Last edited:
I would say go with which ever one you are most passionate about. Or just go with a handful of them no one says you can only donate to just one. I love duck hunting and have been a part of it since I was 3 so DU and Delta are both top spots for me. With that said I just started to dip my toes in the western scene and looked into both RMEF and BHA which are huge public land and access advocates. I hear you on BHA not necessarily purchasing public land but its a helluvalot cheaper to keep whats public public then to lose it and have to buy new and open it to public (no guarantees that's even possible). Think of it as preventative care. Better to spend 30-50 bucks on an oil change to keep the car running then having your car die and maybe not even be able to buy a new one.

I dumped DU after they dumped Don Thomas in favor of a 1%-er from Atlanta who was trying to take away public access.

I dumped DU after they dumped Don Thomas in favor of a 1%-er from Atlanta who was trying to take away public access.

Haven’t given DU a penny since.

I give money to BHA, RMEF, WSF, NWTF, Keep It Public, TU, RMGA. As for local work in MN that would narrow that list down pretty tight.

Same here. I am with DW now. That for sure stays local and is great about improving habitat. I am also part of several others. RMEF and NWTF are also right in there for habitat. Can't go wrong with either.

My BHA dollars are on hold right now.

I'm trying to figure out which group to put some money towards, in the past I thought this was easy, I usually gave to DU and or PF. I like the idea of my money going towards habitat that benefits everything from pollinators to deer. I looked into BHA since i love the public land approach, but from what I've gathered, my membership money only goes towards advocacy. It would be nice to know my money is staying somewhat local, as I know I can go pheasant/duck hunting and see the public lands showing where membership monies are going.
here in MN there are local Deer and waterfowl conservation groups all the way to the national, DU, PF, and Delta groups.

maybe I just go back to DU or Delta waterfowl? I like PF's mission, but due some volunteer work I did in the past for them, I would rather give to a different organizaiton

This isn't to discount your preference to see dollars turn into tangible results, but how many 300 acre WMAs need to be created to make up for the potential losses in actual acres of access, or degradation of the remaining accessible areas, to make it worth while? Right now the biggest threat it seems like we face can't be remedies by purchasing more acres, but rather fighting to keep what we have through advocacy. Come to the MN BHA pint night in Lino Lakes on the 22nd of FEB if you want to learn more, especially what they are doing to protect the BWCAW and grow the hunting community here in MN.

As for other groups that do work in MN, I know these do:
1. Sportsmen for the Boundary Waters
2. RMEF (yup, they are involved with the potential herd expansion in NE MN)
3. Roughed Grouse Society
4. MN Deer Hunter Association (they are really the only group supporting and working with the UofM to help improve our moose situation)

For whatever it is worth here is where my money goes: BHA (life member), TRCP, Sportsmen for the Boundary waters, RMEF, RMGA, WSF, TU

ah thats right, I forgot about the Don Thomas situation and DU;
MNHunter- I see your point about advocacy and keeping public access, but as long as the wma's are sold with permanent conservation easements to keep the habitat there, its an easier pill to swallow. Same goes with some of the conservation money that is put towards private land, as long as theres habitat and an increase, I'm for it- eg. CRP.
RMEF is intriguing- as I would love to see a huntable MN elk herd in NE MN before I die and their work benefits numerous species
thanks for all the suggestions, you guys made it that much harder to choose :D

I'm afraid I still give them money because I like my mini decoys when I renew. Then I just found out you can get them (like anything else I guess) on eBay. Once my current membership expires I'm out too.

That said I also try to remember to send in annual memberships to BHA, TRCP, RMEF, and TU. If all goes according to plan in my profession I should be able to afford lifetime memberships in in one or two of them in the next few years.

I give money to numerous organizations, DU, RMEF, Wild Sheep Foundation, BHA, Keep it Public and several more. My litmus test is simple, if an organization benefits the habitat and species of animal I enjoy hunting them I'm damn sure to contribute financially to that organization. I buy State and Federal Duck Stamps. I like to hunt ducks and I hunt on several wildlife areas where DU has conducted projects to improve habitat, so I give DU money. I hunt big game so I support big game conservation organizations. I hunt public land so I support advocacy and policy organizations. There is a lot more protected lands and high quality habitat on public lands do in part to organizations like DU, RMEF, and other conservation organizations.

Haven’t given DU a penny since.

I give money to BHA, RMEF, WSF, NWTF, Keep It Public, TU, RMGA. As for local work in MN that would narrow that list down pretty tight.

Seems there is a lot of us in this boat. I used to really enjoy the banquets, but I will not give them a dime now. RMEF and the Wild Sheep get all of my money now.

I have really subscribed to the idea of contributing, both monetarily and "boots on the ground", to local organizations provided they exist locally. I realize that some places suffer from a lack of local sportsmens/womens groups. Doesn't mean somebody can't take the bull by the horns and take on the daunting task of starting something up. I have seen great local group successes. Two examples:
A local group in the Bozeman MT area - Headwaters Sportsmans Ass. was instrumental in USFS Gallatin lands consolidation and has held local politicians feet to the fire when they had and advanced counter sportsmens/womens ideas. A relatively few guys took on the heavy lifting themselves and got things done.
PLWA -Public Lands and Water Access - is a MT outfit that works tirelessly to find, preserve and fight for access to public lands in MT. They get a bigger share of my $$ than any other group.
These are both small groups compared to the super groups that garner a lot of attention and prestige. No corporate sponsors here.
IMO - getting involved on the ground and participating personally is just as if not more important than just sending in the annual dues and putting the sticker(s) in your truck rear window or the specialized license plates on your bumper.
I see a lot of stickers and license plates, but go to a local meeting and the turnout is usually relatively light...................
Having grown up in the BWCA country - it is nice to see this Sportsman for Boundary Waters. Hope they can be a successful group - get a bunch of Finlanders, Norwegians, and Swedes together and achieve some results:)

Last edited:
Back