Caribou Gear Tarp

How Much Stock Do You Put In Sectional Density?

Dougfirtree

I'm curious how important this aspect of bullet choice is to all of you. If you loaded 180 grain bullets (of the same make) to the same velocity in a .308 win and a .338 Fed and fired them at a moose, so that they hit with equal velocities, would you expect to see noticably better penetration from the .308? Or, do you put all your stock in just velocity, bullet weight and bullet construction?

Obviously, SD can be related to BC which has very real effects on retained energy over longer range shots, but I'm more curious about the penetration issue. I know people on both ends of this spectrum of opinion. I have an opinion myself, but also have less experience than some of you. And, what the heck, it's Winter! Sorry if I'm just re-hashing old arguments...

Like you said, higher SD bullets retain energy better so at some point there will be a return based on that. Wont make any difference at most hunting distances though. IMHO.

Having said that, I shoot a 6.5 for a reason.

depends on bullet construction - mono, bonded, thin/thick jacket, controlled expansion, etc etc..
This coupled with the fact that SD changes as soon as the bullet starts expanding. I put little worry or thought on SD.

SD is not specifically related to BC. Look at the two numbers for a round nose and a VLD in the same diameter and weight.

This coupled with the fact that SD changes as soon as the bullet starts expanding. I put little worry or thought on SD.

SD is not specifically related to BC. Look at the two numbers for a round nose and a VLD in the same diameter and weight.

No doubt, but they're often strongly corrolated.

depends on bullet construction - mono, bonded, thin/thick jacket, controlled expansion, etc etc..

This is kind of what I think. If you're talking bullets with very controlled, consistent expansion, like a tsx, etc. you should see higher SD bullets outperform their lower SC counterparts. After all, the principle of high SD aiding penetration cannot be argued. This is why anti-tank projectiles are very long for their width... However, I'd guess that a lot of cup and core bullets are not consistent enough to make SD a super predictable factor. I imagine it still shows an effect on average, but probably lots of exceptions. So, to put it simply, I think sectional density is a valid factor to consider and I think it makes a difference. But I think that difference is often overstated, especially with typical bullets.

Personally i don't pay any attention to sectional density.
I'm looking at bullet construction, G7BC.

Bullet construction such as RN, Ballistic Tip, bonded, Partition, solid.etc..
Depends on where i'm hunting and what i'm hunting.

Pistol i mix Sierra JHP, and flat nosed Tournament Master in same magazine.
Am i getting open body shot, or going through a barrier of some sort?

Like you said, higher SD bullets retain energy better so at some point there will be a return based on that. Wont make any difference at most hunting distances though. IMHO.

Having said that, I shoot a 6.5 for a reason.

like the man says

I let Hammer, Lapua, Barnes, and Nosler pay attention and take their word for it.

Sectional density and ballistic coefficient are both equally useless to me. I don't pay them any attention.

He's around. He knows more than me. He took the time to make content that is accessible. And he's not influenced by advertisers.

Wait, am I talking about Chuck or Fin?

Fin is knowledgeable of many things, and readily admits to the times when he isn't. Neither of these traits can be remotely attributed to Chuck Hawks.

If I use woodsmanship to get within 80 yards, have practiced shooting and make a properly placed shot, can I shoot a muzzleloader at a mature mule deer buck? Shooting a 300 grain 50 caliber Nosler ballistic lug nut with BC of .25. Not sure of SD.

The simple answer to the question of "how much stock?" is: some. Based on what your shooting, what game hunting, and at what distance SD is a part of the equation, but not the whole.

Never really looked at the SD of a bullet. I mainly shoot Berger bullets when I can. Most any hunting bullet placed into the vitals will get the job done for most hunters.

Next to none and not much more in BC. Unless you shoot very long range, BC is pretty useless, for the average hunter! Mid range to heavy for cal bullet's and keep shot's within 300-350yds and neither will help of hurt you. Don't choose match bullet's to shoot game with!

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tmich05
Back