Tire chains

while you're at it, got any short cuts to putting them on rather than laying everything out and driving across them? Took me for ever to get them on in the dark and mud and snow this fall. And while you are at it, what is procedure to repair a set when you snap one driving across a rocky section?
thanks in advance

#1 put the chains on before you are stuck.

#2 I put a 2x6 about 8" long on the ground. Lay the chain so the 2x6 is in between two of the cross links. Pull your vehicle up on the 2x6. this raises the tire up a little and gives you plenty of slack to maneuver the chains for a good fit.

I have cam locks and I had to add links to them when I changed trucks. It’s not rocket science.

The cams tighten the chains up nice, but I still use a rubber bungee tightener as well. I’ve put them on both ways. It depends on if I’m already stuck and if I have room to do so. If I was smart and chained up ahead of time, I just lay them out and drive onto them. If I’m already screwed I put them on over the top.

I don’t have v bar chains but if I was buying new ones I’d certainly get them.

You may want to check for clearance on the fronts if you haven't already. Most of the newer rigs lack necessary room for full size chains on the front. The limiting factor is on the upper inside between the UC arm and the sidewall. It may also be addressed in the owners manual. Good luck & let us know what you do.

I will be checking into that before I buy a set of four, just got brand new tires but will be lifting the front 2.5" and back 1", so may go bigger yet and different offset rims. But yes will check for clearance.

I’ve found draping them over the tire is hands down the easiest way to get chains on. One end should barely be on the ground, drive forward or backwards a little bit and connect them. Could be just me buts that’s the easiest way I’ve found when it’s dark and 12” snow

This is the way I do it. With the cams, I could probably hook them without moving if I had to. I've been driving the mountains since I was a kid, so I pretty much know when to chain. I've never had to chain while stuck. mtmuley

Can you cut down chains from bigger tires (same width)? I find deals on Craigslist, but they are never the right size.

The instructions that came with mine said to cut the extra links off after fitting them the first time.

I’ve found draping them over the tire is hands down the easiest way to get chains on. One end should barely be on the ground, drive forward or backwards a little bit and connect them. Could be just me buts that’s the easiest way I’ve found when it’s dark and 12” snow

This.

#1 put the chains on before you are stuck.

#2 I put a 2x6 about 8" long on the ground. Lay the chain so the 2x6 is in between two of the cross links. Pull your vehicle up on the 2x6. this raises the tire up a little and gives you plenty of slack to maneuver the chains for a good fit.

Thanks Elkantlers
#1 so far I have managed that, but I am sure, at some point.....
#2 is what i was looking for. spot on

Thanks MTTW - tighter chains are also probably better for driving faster than 10 mph. I also like simplicity and with my luck I'd drop the cam tightening tool in the really deep snow when it was really dark (and cold) and not be able to find it.

Regarding installing them, that picture of the 2x6 slotted block had it in the middle of the chains. Rather than do that I'd put it close to end of the chain so you only have to back up a foot and are less likely to not be on the center of the chains. Also, if the ends of the chain are close to the ground you can crawl under the car (if you have clearance and visually make the connection. On the other hand, if you drive to the center of the chain you have to blindly reach around the tire and try to mate the ends while the whole chain is trying to slide off the tire.

I tried draping them over the tire and it didn't work the first time so I just went back to laying them flat and backing over them. Maybe I ought to try it again.

Rob, a big flat head screwdriver will turn the cams if you lose the tool.

Putting them on from the top isn’t hard. Lay them over, hook the back, jerk them a couple of times to settle them in, hook the front, jerk again and tighten, then add your bungee.

If I drive onto them I don’t center. Just enough to bring the chain over the top and hook it right down by the ground.

That is a great idea. Do all fur at once. My PU has just a single set of those Les Schawb cable chains, Had them over 20 yrs now and never had to use them. My Bronco is what I take off road and have two set's of chain's for it. Not can loc's though. I always end up losing the wrench for them!

Cable chains are for minvans. Glad you never had to use them. mtmuley

I ordered my chains through eTrailer.com. They are from Titan Chains.

Can't say enough about customer service at Titan. When there was a mix-up as to what chains actually fit my tires (error on website selector having the incorrect model #) I called Titan. Told him the issue and he said "Heck, I have those tires on my Ram. Give me a few minutes and I will go throw on a set and confirm they fit." And he did. Called back in about 30 minutes and told me what I needed. Then eTrailer sent the correct chains and paid all shipping for getting incorrect chains back with full refund.

I personally don't like the cam chains, my friends have some and they always come loose when shit gets hairy. My dad and I both have modified semi chains, no cams and super heavy chain, use a few tensioners and you're set. I got mine at a garage sale for $20. I've never seen a set of semi chains with cams, there must be a reason for that.

I personally don't like the cam chains, my friends have some and they always come loose when shit gets hairy. My dad and I both have modified semi chains, no cams and super heavy chain, use a few tensioners and you're set. I got mine at a garage sale for $20. I've never seen a set of semi chains with cams, there must be a reason for that.

Sounds like an installation issue. I'm 10 years into mine and have never seen that. mtmuley

It is an installation issue, unless you get cam chains on really tight, when they loosen a little the cam turns then the whole damn thing goes. Maybe I haven't put on enough chains over the last 15 years, they always loosen up a little. Drive half a mile, stop and take up another link and adjust your tensioners.

It is an installation issue, unless you get cam chains on really tight, when they loosen a little the cam turns then the whole damn thing goes. Maybe I haven't put on enough chains over the last 15 years, they always loosen up a little. Drive half a mile, stop and take up another link and adjust your tensioners.

Really tight is the key with cams. I chucked the cheesy tool that came with them and had a beefier one made. When installed tight, there shouldn't be a problem. mtmuley

Man you guys are some swanky dudes, I just pick up chains off the roads in the spring when they melt out. cut 'em to fit or use quick links to extend, as needed.

Only absolutes are put 'em on BEFORE you need them, and check them for fit after a few hundred yards

Oh and whoever invented those spider things for tensioners should be very wealthy...

that 2x6 idea is worth a try i'm thinkin'.

I just bought my first set of chains ever as I got a truck with 33x12.50 tires and you guys don't lose any that big, nor even close enough to splice on.

If you must use the same set for different size tires (cause you didn't find enough last spring) hook the back on the last link and have all the slop on the outside then you can wire the extra few inches easily with small pieces of cal-tie wire. (or pieces of the nearest barbed wire fence, if it's not yours) If you tie it parallel and snugly it won't beat your fender into a pulp.

This is a particularly handy when your buddy "borrows" your chains and wants to cut them to fit his truck. Besides if they break loose and mangle his fender it will teach him to bring his next time.

I just bought a new F150 FX4 and immediately found this thread trying to gain some information on this subject as I have never bought a new set of chains
After reading thread I looked it up in Owners Manual and it states
“Do not install chains on the front tires as this may interfere with suspension components”
New 4x4 with off road package and I can’t put chains on the front
You gotta be BLEEPING ME
I must have a very confused look on my face right now

Back