Tire chains

“Do not install chains on the front tires as this may interfere with suspension components”
New 4x4 with off road package and I can’t put chains on the front
You gotta be BLEEPING ME
I must have a very confused look on my face right now

thats a thing on most modern trucks. You can probably get a passenger cable chain setup for the front.

I just bought a new F150 FX4 and immediately found this thread trying to gain some information on this subject as I have never bought a new set of chains
After reading thread I looked it up in Owners Manual and it states
“Do not install chains on the front tires as this may interfere with suspension components”
You gotta be BLEEPING ME

I driv modern trucks for work and I chain them up. You just have to be a little smart about things.

I just bought a new F150 FX4 and immediately found this thread trying to gain some information on this subject as I have never bought a new set of chains
You gotta be BLEEPING ME

Look over your suspension for the clearance issues and see if spacers (offsets) might work. If you issue is with the parts behind the tire (upper control arms etc) then the space out might be the answer. My buddy did that on his dodge.

You gotta be BLEEPING ME

That is a problem with a lot of newer trucks these days.

You gotta be BLEEPING ME

I bought a new F150 last year also with the FX4 and it chains up on the front amd back no problem. The GMC I had before this one said not to put chains on the front and I always did with no problem there too. I think they need to say that in the manual for liability reasons. I got my last two sets of chains off etrailer.

You gotta be BLEEPING ME

Electraman,
Where in the manual does it say this? I have a 2016 F150 4x4 (not FX4), and I find nothing, yeah or ney, in the manual about chains whatsoever.

Thanks a bunch for this. It IS in my manual, page 360 in my case. Damn. I'm going to have a chat with the dealer about that. I also wonder what tirechains.com has to say about it. I was just about to drop some coin on a full set. You may have saved me quite a bit of grief.

I have a 2015 dodge 3/4 ton pickup, states no chains on the fronts. Dealer where I got it is a friend. I asked him about it when I bought it. Bought it in April of 2015. He took me back to the shop, up on the lift is a newish dodge pickup with wires hanging from the front end, broken suspension components. He said guy put chains on front & didn’t get them really tight. They were figuring about 4K in damage. My take away from that was I’ll really have to be in a bad spot to put chains on the front. Dealer said just keep it slow & get em tight and you should be good.

Thanks a bunch for this. It IS in my manual, page 360 in my case. Damn. I'm going to have a chat with the dealer about that. I also wonder what tirechains.com has to say about it. I was just about to drop some coin on a full set. You may have saved me quite a bit of grief.
BD
I know
I’m still shaking my head
I can’t imagine running chains just on the rears, never done that
If you find some kinda solution please pass it on
Thank you very much

I'm going to talk to the dealer this week. He is a friend of mine and only a mile away. He will know what the scoop is. All those guys that put plows on their trucks gotta have issues with this, not to mention lots of other folks.

I'll let you know what I find out.

I have a 2015 dodge 3/4 ton pickup, states no chains on the fronts. Dealer where I got it is a friend. I asked him about it when I bought it. Bought it in April of 2015. He took me back to the shop, up on the lift is a newish dodge pickup with wires hanging from the front end, broken suspension components. He said guy put chains on front & didn’t get them really tight. They were figuring about 4K in damage. My take away from that was I’ll really have to be in a bad spot to put chains on the front. Dealer said just keep it slow & get em tight and you should be good.

A better alternative is to learn how to put them on right and do so before you slide off a bank and into a tre, cliff, rock or some other undesirable object. Being a dumbass either way will probably have consequences.

Fit them beforehand, get them tight, and don’t run stupid big tires.

The problem with the newer trucks is the lack of space for the chains, you have the brake lines and the wires running in there and a loose chain will rip it all apart. One way to get around it is, to buy a set of wheel spacers to give yourself some clearance.

I'm kind of a "show me" person, but you might just give it a try at low speeds to see if anything rubs even if your book says you can't. YMMV for sure, but most problems I've heard of occur at high speeds, because, well, physics. The faster the tire rotation, the further away they'll pull away from the tire surface everywhere but on the ground. I had a chevy truck that wasn't supposed to have them on the front. I used them on the front, cinched down super tight, extra bungies, etc. and didn't go over 20 mph in the mud and never had a problem. No way I'd do that on snowy highways though.

As for where to go, I'd definitely find a shop where you can ask a person face to face. Around here, there is a chain and tool place that mainly serves the oil and gas industry. http://deltarigging.com/ it's where I always send people locally. I'd look for somewhere similar.

Good luck.

Dave

Whether you break and piece a set together or buy a set to tire size make damn sure they fit before your in the dung heap, better yet practice more than one time installing them and the best advice I and I am pretty sure most will agree when in doubt chain up, its no fun putting chains on in the dark, or while your hung up thinking damn, should have put them damn chains on. Have a excellent hunt and hope like hell you don't need them chains

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back