Tire chains

midwesthunter

Did a search and didn't find any threads specific about tire chains. Going to need a set for this fall, should be in WY second week in Oct in the mountains. Of course I can google search for places that sell them, but wondering id anyone has a brand they like or store?

Whatever brand you choose, get v-bar cam locks. Les Schwab is a good place to get them here in the West. mtmuley

Can you cut down chains from bigger tires (same width)? I find deals on Craigslist, but they are never the right size.

Rob, if I were you, I'd just buy new for you're tire size. It's way less headache. mtmuley

Rob, if I were you, I'd just buy new for you're tire size. It's way less headache. mtmuley
Where's the rub? Cutting them to size with bolt cutters seems trivial and less painful than forking out a few hundred for a new set of four.

I like my sized to fit cam locks. Fast, easy and no dinking around. Do what you need to. mtmuley

I like my sized to fit cam locks. Fast, easy and no dinking around. Do what you need to. mtmuley
You sure have a special charm at times. I don't "need" to save a few hundred dollars, but I don't like wasting it. I could see how cams might complicate if the difference is large, but I've always used the rubber chain tensioners.

What size tires? I've got a nice set for a grand cherokee I should sell.

You sure have a special charm at times. I don't "need" to save a few hundred dollars, but I don't like wasting it. I could see how cams might complicate if the difference is large, but I've always used the rubber chain tensioners.

Rob, when I have to chain, it is usually really dark, and really cold with a bunch of snow. I want to my chains to go on my tires quickly and with zero bullshit. Just me. It is a special charm, thanks. mtmuley

Last edited:
Rob, when I have to chain, it is usually really dark, and really cold with a bunch of snow. I want to my chains to go on my tires quickly and with zero bullshit. Just me. It is a special charm, thanks. mtmuley

while you're at it, got any short cuts to putting them on rather than laying everything out and driving across them? Took me for ever to get them on in the dark and mud and snow this fall. And while you are at it, what is procedure to repair a set when you snap one driving across a rocky section?
thanks in advance

I’ve found draping them over the tire is hands down the easiest way to get chains on. One end should barely be on the ground, drive forward or backwards a little bit and connect them. Could be just me buts that’s the easiest way I’ve found when it’s dark and 12” snow

This

And BTW make sure you put them on the right end of three rig.

You may want to check for clearance on the fronts if you haven't already. Most of the newer rigs lack necessary room for full size chains on the front. The limiting factor is on the upper inside between the UC arm and the sidewall. It may also be addressed in the owners manual. Good luck & let us know what you do.

Dear charming, with the money you would have saved cutting used chains to size you could have bought a lot of chill pills. But I digress. Even when it is dark, cold, and snowy, I just lay the chains on the ground, back over them, and then connect the ends. Then I snap the rubber tensioners in place and go. You have to lay them out straight, but it isn't rocket science. Maybe someone can explain the pros-cons of cam vs no-cam for those of us who haven't felt the need to change what we've been doing.

With the Vbar cam locks Les Schwab will throw in thicker skin. :)

I have 2 sets for my Jeep but generally only put on the fronts. Drape them over hook um up and away you go. As long as they go back in the bags without twisting them up they come right back out the same way.

A chain tool can be handy at times when things go to shit.

Yep it’s the off season.

Last edited:
With the Vbar cam locks Les Schwab will throw in thicker skin. :)

I have 2 sets for my Jeep but generally only put on the fronts. Drape them over hook um up and away you go. As long as they go back in the bags without twisting them up they come right back out the same way.

A chain tool can be handy at times when things go to shit.

Yep it’s the off season.
It appears straight answers are tough for some... So do the cams give enough slack that you can connect the chain ends without moving the vehicle?

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mfrosty6
Back