Any 375 RUM shooters?

That's the only RUM I haven't fired or loaded for. Awesome round. Any loads worked up yet? mtmuley

Why would a person endure a 54 ft-lb recoil when the elk is no more dead than with a 7mm08 with 14 ft-lb or a .270 at 17 ft.lb? To each their own I guess.

I like many calibers for many things.

I haven't managed to shoot an elk yet, but you can bet if I'm hunting somewhere I need to shoot more than 300+ yrds. it will be a magnum I'm hunting with for deer size and up.
Especially for elk size.

No denying the quicker killing potential of a good magnum for anything, much less truly big animals at distances.

375H&H for me. Plenty for almost all game in the world, but very manageable recoil. I find mine just pushes me around instead of ringing me to the core (I am 6'4" 190lbs). Also, very common ammo and such a classic. FANTASTIC for elk...got 2 bulls so far with mine.

What made you go with the 375 RUM over say the 416 Rigby?

I like many calibers for many things.

I haven't managed to shoot an elk yet, but you can bet if I'm hunting somewhere I need to shoot more than 300+ yrds. it will be a magnum I'm hunting with for deer size and up.
Especially for elk size.

No denying the quicker killing potential of a good magnum for anything, much less truly big animals at distances.

Or a 7mmRemMag at 21ft-lbs or a .300WinMag at 26 ft-lbs or a .338WinMag at 33ft-lbs . . . . . . . Hell, with that logic we should all be toting .50BMG

To answer a few questions:
Why that over a 416, I got a good deal on a barrel.
It has a muzzle brake and recoil is very manageable
I'm shooting Barnes 270 tax at 3100 fps, going to try the 270 lrx next.
I like cartridges that can exit the animal. Makes tracking easier.
Yes everything is all about shot placement.

Not all have the skill level to shoot magnums accurately.
Don't think I could poke holes where I want very consistent with a 375 RUM.
May the force be with you.

For the record though, I do handle my .300 Winchester Magnum very proficiently.

Last edited:
I like cartridges that can exit the animal. Makes tracking easier.[/QUOTE]
I personally want the slug under the hind on the off side. It used up every bit of energy. If it exists, expansion is questionable. It’s the shock that kills, not the hole.

I like cartridges that can exit the animal. Makes tracking easier.
I personally want the slug under the hind on the off side. It used up every bit of energy. If it exists, expansion is questionable. It’s the shock that kills, not the hole.[/QUOTE]

You are sort of correct, yes two holes don't kill and yes shock/trauma kills, but if you think you get more shock with a bullet that doesn't pass through then one that does you are mistaken. If you use a quality bullet like you should you don't need to worry about a bullet not expanding.

Back