Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

How do I scout for Turkey habitat?

aman

I am in Seattle area and I'd like to try Turkey hunting for the first time this spring. I'm not even sure how to get started to find turkeys in the woods. How do I narrow down public land into manageable chunks that may contain turkeys? Is it possible to do this using Google Earth?

I would start with looking at the area I want to hunt on onxmaps. Look at the boundaries and find water wether it be a creek or pond near by. Then look for feed. As in rivrr bottoms, open fields, live stock and or farm land. Then hit the road and start looking for sign. Tracks, feathers, poop, scratching are all things to look up before going. Then once your out there it's always a good idea not just rush in but take your time and see if there are places to see long distance as to cover as much acreage as possible. Once you've found the birds it often good to see if you can find where they like to roost. Roost trees will have lots of sign as these are big birds. Once you've found the birds it help to check on tyye birds from time to time. At least 2 weeks before and the days leading up it always helpful to go and find the birds and pattern them if you can that way the day before opening season you can go and try to roost a gobbler that evening. I suggest going to you tube and looking up some of these things and do the same searching as you have done here. Good luck, practice calling everyday and it's always better to "under call" than to "over call". If you have anymore question don't be afraid to pm me. Hope this helps.

I would add to what Buk said contacting the biologists for your area and asking them. Here in MT the valley floor birds will behave very different than those that live up in the pines on the mountain. Also contact your local NWTF chatper. They really shouldn't be hard to find right now, they group up during the winter. Finding them in the spring will be very different.

Locator call at sundown worked last spring. Pretty awesome the first time a bird gobbles back.

Fantastic!!

Share a bit on how a rookie turkey hunter struck gold. How did you find them? Calling or ninja style? Based on the smile, I'm guessing you are hooked!

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
atlasbranch
Back