Yeti GOBOX Collection

Accubond Ogive variances

Addicting

I have been loading up some Accubonds seconds from SPS and have been noticing a decent variance in bullet OAL and Ogive of a couple hundred thousands. How much does that really matter in a sub 500 yard light hunting rifle?

I am not an F class shooter but want to have the best consistency I can. I set my RCBS reloading die and lock it in, I would like to see them coming out the same. When I do OAL I get 2.722 to 2.727 with a couple of climbing to 2.730 (.070 jump off the lands). I though it may of just been the plastic tips or the way I positioned it. So, I bought a Hornady set up to measure my Ogive, what I am finding out is that I still have the same issue, its just easier to measure. Now with the added length of the device and measured to the Ogive I am getting 3.443, 3.440, 3.442, 3.438. (just off the lands it should be 3.440)

Do you guys measure and sort all of your bullets to get the most consistency?

What spread is acceptable, +/- .005 spread?

Do you chase the Ogive seating by changing you die cannula?

Has any one tested Accubond 1sts to see if they are more consistent in Ogive/weight than the 2nds? I know the bullets say cosmetic but Nosler weight sorts as well.

Thanks Tony

You'll see a lot of swing in Ogive using the Hornady tool if the bushing, bullet and case aren't completely square in you calipers. I recommend testing again making sure everything is as square and possible.

Sounds to me like more of a seating die issue. What die are you using? I recommend drilling out the seating stem so the plastic tip doesn't contact the stem just the ogive. Or buy a VLD stem if it's a Redding.

I've loaded hundreds of Accubonds in different cartridges. Never have had this issue. I don't use a VLD stem. The Hornady tool is great, but takes a bit of getting used to. Doubt there's a problem. mtmuley

If you think there is a problem with the bullets, measure the OAL of the bullet before you load it. You can also use a comparator to measure the ogive on the bullet itself. This should rule out the bullets and indicate a seating die issue.

I measured them a couple different times and came up with the same. I bought that anvil piece as well to help keep it squared.

I was able to talk with RCBS and they said it was the variations of the Ogive and they get that question a lot. I could order a different custom seating stem to give better results. I will pull it apart to see about drilling it out.

I also called Nosler and they explained how the tool actually measures it before the Ogive where there is variations due to the type of Ogive the Accubond has. That it is normal to have a couple thousands variations. One mistake I was making was thinking they all needed to be exactly the same and chasing that number by constantly adjusting the Die. They said get the die adjusted and locked in and leave it for the set I’m loading for.

Last edited:
3EC06265-63D2-4CC4-8D58-7B01F7DD3B4A.jpg

I took the die out and found it was full of copper shavings from the bullets. I cleaned it and readjusted it for .030 off the lands like Nosler suggested. I came up with the attached measurements with and without the tool.

I think I know what I did. I was noticing shavings and tried some case lube to get the bullets to go in easier. It transfer to the inside of the die and was building up causing a lot bigger spread.

Ditch the anvil piece and practice on getting the cartridge square in the calipers, as noted above.

It looks like you're getting dialed in.

If your getting copper shavings from seating a bullet I'd recommend a VLD chamfer tool and checking neck tension.
I would recommend lubing a bullet but if your gonna I'd use dry compound.

Seems like you got the comparator figured out.

Last edited:
Your not shooting a match bullet, so you are going to have those variances, especially in seconds. I never measure over all length of any bullet with a ballistic tip, to inconsistent. You have been provided some great info on how to properly measure your bullets.

I practice out to 1000+ yards with various rifles, I never measure or weigh bullets, I don't sort my brass either.

If your getting copper shavings from seating a bullet I'd recommend a VLD chamfer tool and checking neck tension.
I would recommend lubing a bullet but if your gonna I'd use dry compound.

Seems like you got the comparator figured out.

After cleaning it last night I loaded 15 more rounds and the consistency stayed the same but the die was full of shavings again. I ordered a RCBS VLD chamfer cutter. What dry lube is safe to use? Graphite?

After cleaning it last night I loaded 15 more rounds and the consistency stayed the same but the die was full of shavings again. I ordered a RCBS VLD chamfer cutter. What dry lube is safe to use? Graphite?

You have fallen into the reloading trap my friend. :) You are going to need to build a bigger reloading bench.

The VLD cutter is IMO the only way to go. Works very well for all bullets and boatails even flat base. I've never had to lube bullets and don't think you will need to either.
Wait for the chamfer tool and chamfer your brass. Then load a few test rounds and see if it's still shaving brass.

I do not use any lube for seating bullets. I also use a VLD tool for the inside chamfer and give it a touch up on the outside as well.

One thing to remember, is that even if you can measure differences in loaded rounds it's where they shoot that matters...

[/B]

You have fallen into the reloading trap my friend. :) You are going to need to build a bigger reloading bench.

Yep, I’ve seemed to of jumped in with both feet wearing concrete shoes. All for the sake of a cloverleaf tiny hole. I figured I am going to have to reload till I am 172 years old to break even at this point.

Should always use a comparator to measure COAL. There's not a bullet out there that doesn't have some sort of tip deformity or tip variance

I have been loading up some Accubonds seconds from SPS and have been noticing a decent variance in bullet OAL and Ogive of a couple hundred thousands. How much does that really matter in a sub 500 yard light hunting rifle?

.....Tony

I've noticed this issue with "seconds" also.... and have leaned toward not using them much anymore. This issue also prompt me to start seating and measure off the ogive a few years ago to reduce the variance.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ram0307
Back