Glacier Park vist

I've only been in Kalispell for 4 years, so my info is limited. But depending on your vehicle a drive past Polebridge to Bowman or Kintla Lakes is highly recommended. You can catch some nice lake trout and cutthroats in either lake by trolling with spinners from a kayak or canoe. Both lakes see very little pressure, but leave Kalispell by 8 AM to find a parking space at either lake. Bring some very good bug spray. One of my renters works in the summer at Apgar Campground and spends a ton of time in the backcountry, and she really likes the eastern side of the Park closer to Canada, like the Belly River area. Don't expect to see a bunch of elk, deer, moose in Glacier. I've seen a few elk along the North Fork in the winter, elk near trout lake in the autumn, and whitetail/muley periodically around Apgar. The bears and wolves have made a pretty big dent on the cervid population, but you can see tame goats/sheep by the vistor center at the divide. It's an amazing park, and you will have a great time.

We went through Glacier a couple years ago for our honeymoon. We stayed at Bowman lake and hiked Akokala lake trail and got caught in a hail storm. Very fun adventure and I recommend it highly.

Polebridge bakery is a must, the huckleberry bear claws have got to be made with smack in them. When we drove the going to the sun road and stopped at the visitor center on the divide a grizz had put its paws on the windows just the day prior and you could still see the paw prints. A wolverine had passed through the week prior and goats could be seen with binos, so I recommend stopping there. For whatever reason though we saw a lot more wildlife on the east side, probably because it is more open. Anyway a great place and hope you enjoy.

I have nothing extra to add but I do have a funny story about pole bridge. They only had a few porta johns and we needed to unload before we could reload at the bakery. When we opened the doors I was surprised because I have never seen a porta john filled to the brim. Literally! There was a poop stalactite coming up through the seat. Didn't have my phone or I'd have evidence.

Glacier is a post card view everywhere you look. Compared to yellowstone the fishing isn't quite as good, but its still pretty good, especially at many glacier in my opinion.

Hike yes, want to stay under 4 hours round trip. Low to medium level.
We thought about the fishing for part of a day of full.
We are moderately interesting is avoiding crowds, we just know it will be pretty busy not matter where we go.
We are open to any type of areas as long as it's not too hard to get to, wife has fibromyalgia so we can only go so hard and so long for a day.

Thanks Ben !

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g45070-d122893-Reviews-Many_Glacier_Hotel-Babb_Montana.html Many Glacier Lodge
This provides opportunity to fish, epic views, nice - easy hike from Swift current Lake to Josephine Lake. A simple boat ride to relax, a beautiful lodge to enjoy, Glaciers with simple hiking distance. Wildlife from bighorns, moose, griz, etc visible on many occasions. Beautiful landscape. Then route to Waterton via the Chief Mtn U.S. /Canada border crossing locations as the little Canadian village of Waterton is quaint with variety to include "high tea" at the Prince of Wales hotel. https://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_R...tel-Waterton_Lakes_National_Park_Alberta.html
Enjoy the boat ride to U.S. Goat Haunt and take a hike while there in one of lower 48's greatest simple access yet secluded areas due to distant hike or boat access.
https://www.nps.gov/glac/planyourvisit/goathaunt.htm
Do a check on how the fires last year played on the Waterton area though the town and lake may still make it well worth the visit!

So many great ideas and we only have 5 days....We already booked hotels so we are set there and we will be driving some sort of small SUV, forget which one. Hopefully with 4x4 just in case we want to get back on some places a car would not be a good idea. My better half if very organized so she will work at putting some sort of day by day activity chart together I'm sure. After were done with that I'll post if up here for a critique.

Stop in at Avalanche campground and say hi to folks in the host trailer - it's my mom and her guy! Shamelessly, I haven't made it out in the 4 years she's been doing it, but they love the park and love sharing it with people.

We are planning a family vacation for this summer and are either going to go to Glacier or the Boundary Waters. So I am reading this thread with great interest! It has me excited to go right now!

Stop in at Avalanche campground and say hi to folks in the host trailer - it's my mom and her guy!
Then hike the Trail of the Cedars up Avalanche Gorge to Avalanche Lake. That is a fairly easy hike which can be completed in less than four hours. It is a Glacier Park iconic must-do hike with great scenery and pleasant trails.

A couple summers ago I hiked from Many Glacier up to Swiftcurrent Pass, up to the top of Swiftcurrent Peak, and back down. It was a 20 mile day, and one I will never forget. The entire hike was beautiful. We started hiking about 5:00 am, and didn't really run into anyone until the hike down when we got back around 4:00. I'd do it again in a heartbeat, and recommend it highly as an epic dayhike.

Many Glacier up to Swiftcurrent Pass, up to the top of Swiftcurrent Peak, and back down.
Another epic trail from Many Glacier involves catching a ride to Logan Pass (top of Going to the Sun) hiking the Garden Wall Trail to Granite Park Chalet, then to Swift Current Pass and down the trail back to Many Glacier. It is a long loop trek resplendent with awesome Glacier views and typical encounters with wildlife.

Finally got to the agenda for the trip....Here are the general plans.

Saturday:

Fly into Missoula

Drive to Kalispell and spend the rest of the day there around town.

Sunday:

North Fork
Polebridge- Mercantile
Transboundary Flathead River Trail
Hiking

Dinner at The Backroom in Columbia Falls on way back to Kalispell

Monday:

Going to the Sun Road
Hiking Hidden Lake Overlook
Lake McDonald Lodge
St. Mary Falls & Virginia Falls Hike
Baring Falls Hike

Tuesday:

Going to the Sun Road- Many Glacier
Grinnell Glacier
Avalanche Creek
Lake Josephine

Wednesday:

Waterton/Canada

Waterton Shoreline Boat Cruise
Prince of Wales Hotel High Tea

Thursday:

Two Medicine/East Glacier
Historic Sinopah Boat Tour

Drive to Missoula
Dinner at the Notorious Pig

Friday:

Spend the morning in Missoula, visit RMEF. Fly home....

Last edited:
Looks like a great plan.

I was there M-W. Two mornings it was snowing at Logan, but Wed it cleared up well.

This is what Logan Pass parking looked like Mon at 0605. I was the first one to Hidden Lake that morning, but shut out on goats that were close enough for decent shots. The lot was full Tues and Wed by 0930, and they waved traffic past. Oberlin parking lot will be a good place to possibly see goats up close.
42383031885_7efe79f08b_c.jpg

I saw ten rams hanging around Logan that eventually worked their way over to Lunch Creek. You will probably see some from the parking area. Monday there were two in lot before traffic picked up.
28389284427_0418f62ca5_c.jpg

I didn't see any griz, but a few blacks on the way to Many Glacier. This one was a pretty bear within spitting distance of Babb. You are likely to see them anywhere from Babb to the end of the road at Many.
29393002468_8b9dec2b0b_c.jpg

I also bumped into this busy mom very early in the morning, so high ISO and slow shutter, but kinda cool anyway. I could hear the happy pups when she showed up to the den along Many Glacier road.
29363903278_cf29505e53_c.jpg

Lots of stuff still closed in Waterton, but looks like the Crypt Trail is one of the few that is open.

Enjoy your trip and let us know how it turned out.

addition - if you aren't in a hurry from Babb to Saint Mary, take the gravel on the west side of Lower Saint Mary Lake.

Last edited:
Always awesome pics, Miller!

Im in the park now for another week then return home for a month and back to glacier for another 2 weeks. Beautiful weather currently! Looks like your tour will give you a great spread of Glacier! Look forward to your pics!

PANO_20180704_093558.jpg

Last edited:
OK, where do I start other than saying this was a great trip for us.

Let’s start with the excuses….1 week before the trip my wife decided to try to water ski and patricianly ruptured her hamstring and I had a calf issue. Even with those limitations and the fact that MT is 3-7000 feet higher and thin air for this out of shape guy, we were troopers and got some light to moderate hikes in.

Now for the trip with some pictures to go along with the story……

Day 1 Travel to MT, drove to Kalispell and had dinner at Moose's Saloon. What a unique place with good pizza and cheap drinks.

20180721_171518.jpg20180721_173349.jpg

Day 2 drove to Polebridge, had a huckleberry claw(was delicious) and then drove to Bowman lake. The road itself is pretty poor and slow, took us forever and glad we had the small SUV. Do not try this in a car :) It was totally worth the drive though. We went into Whitefish to shop around and had lunch at Caseys. That night were had dinner at the Brass Tap across the parking lot from the hotel. Great beer selection and good food.

20180722_085231_HDR.jpg20180722_101824.jpg

Day 3 Going to the sun road, Logan Pass and Hidden Lake. We got up early and BARELY got a spot in the parking lot, we figure we got one of the last 6 parking spots and we got there about 8 am. Get up early as others said for Logan Pass. We hiked up to Hidden lake which took us uphill 500 ft in elevation, over numerous snow fields and were rewarded with this picture. We did see a grizzly, goats and sheep. Went to the Army/Navy store to look at boots and finished the night for dinner at The Backroom.

20180723_095049_Pano.jpg20180723_095910.jpg20180723_104222.jpg20180723_170214.jpg

Day 4 Going to the sun road again and up to Waterton for the day. Waterton was a loss as little did we know almost 75% of the park was closed due to the fires they had last year. They don’t tell you that at the park pay point :) We noticed it on the paper they give you after you pay. Was not a total loss though as the drive was great and having lunch there and seeing the Prince of Wales hotel was cool. Had dinner at Mckenzies.

20180724_103833.jpg20180724_105637.jpg

Day 5 Many Glacier we hiked Lake Josephine, Fish trap lake and Red Rock Lake. This day we saw a momma grizzly and cubs twice. After being wiped out by all the hiking and driving it was time for a simple dinner at A&W.

20180725_112027_Pano.jpg20180725_130539_Pano.jpg

Day 6 East Glacier and driving back down to Missoula. We had a small black bear bolt across the road in front of us on that road. Again a large drive day with dinner at one of the best pizza places I have ever ate in….Biga Pizza downtown. Not sure if Missoula people wanted to keep this place to themselves or have never been, but this place was amazing.

Day 7 Got up and hit the RMEF and drove up to the National Bison Range and spent a little time there and got to see a nice elk. Of course I had to get a new set of boots since I was in MT. Had to haul back to town from the Bison Range, eat lunch and head to the airport and head home.

20180727_081429.jpg20180726_161443.jpg20180727_095622_HDR.jpg20180727_095733_HDR.jpg

I might have missed a few things as we did and saw a lot. Spent so much time just driving so if you go be prepared to drive a lot.

Attachments

• 20180726_145656.jpg
    20180726_145656.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 77
Last edited:
GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mthunter137