1 More for 4

That is a fantastic time of year to be down south.

Good luck to your dad. I got to sit at his table again in Reno and was really hoping for his name to be called for the ‘1 more for 4’ drawing but no such luck.

Hey Riley, dad mentioned you guys sat together. Sounds like a fun time...I'll be there next year.

That's a nice trophy room! Is that another Dall sheep on the right in the 2nd pic?

I don't know why my dad cut that out of the picture...he's not too tech savvy. So, that is actually a Fannin...so technically a stone.

Just to provide a little background on these sheep and how we got some of them. In the world of sheep hunting, having money definitely helps...but having good luck, taking advantage of opportunities and timing is probably more important.

Of the four rams that are on my wall, starting on the left.

1997: This was my Highschool Graduation Gift...I know, I know. We hunted the Wrangall Mountains in AK with Master Guide Dick Gunlogson. My dad had hunted with Dick several times prior to this. Dad took his first Dall with him in 1988 and over the years went back for a couple Caribou and a Brown Bear. In August of 1997, Dick called my dad and said he had a last minute cancellation sheep hunt, but the hunt wasn't being offered to dad, it was being offered to one his kids. Being severly addicted to hunting, much more so than my 2 brothers, I was the lucky recipient. A couple weeks later we were heading north for a 10 day backpack hunt where on the 5th day of the hunt I was able to take my first sheep, an unforgettable trip, and the beginning of an addiction for hunting big country, wild places and sheep.

2013-03-24_07-40-13_331.jpg

The next ram and the one on the far right are a couple of Montana Bighorns

2016: Some of you may recall, but in 2016 we struck major gold! My wife and I drew MT Bighorn Tags, in the same unit, where only 2 tags were issued. This was hands down the best hunting season of my life. Hunting sheep on my own terms, with family and friends, in a backcountry wilderness unit....this was a hunt of a lifetime. When it was all said and done, I had spent about 20 nights in the unit scouting and hunting.

On opening Day, Jennifer took her ram.

IMG_20160915_161252042 (2).jpg
IMG_20160915_161528799_HDR.jpg

One Month later to the day, Oct. 15, I was able to harvest my ram.

IMG_20161015_171829122.jpg
IMG_20161015_171530136_HDR.jpg

Man that is what dreams are made of look forward to the desert hunt story. Nice off season reading

Awesome stuff! Congrats on all those sheep - looking forward to hearing about your Dad's desert hunt. Good luck with it!

In 2012, the first year that New Mexico opened up their Desert Sheep units to Non Residents I took the chance and sent in my money & application. Boy was I surprised to see the word SUCCESSFUL next to Desert Big Horn Sheep. The season was 10 days long and me and a couple buddies headed south into the desert to see what we could turn up. This was completely new territory to all of us; the desert, the sheep, the access...all new. But we had a blast and on the 7th day of the hunt, coincidentally my birthday, I harvested my Desert Ram.

trimmed 2.jpg
DSC_0513.jpg

I'll go to work on the old man for some field pics of his sheep. Some pretty good stories there!

Mind if I ask who you are hunting with in MX?

I'm halfway there, Dall and Stone done, working on a plan for Dersert and praying I draw a Montana sheep tag one day.

Great sheep mounts, that's super sweet.

I got a set of golf clubs as a high school graduation gift. I didn't then nor do I now play golf... :D

Mind if I ask who you are hunting with in MX?

I'm halfway there, Dall and Stone done, working on a plan for Dersert and praying I draw a Montana sheep tag one day.

Great sheep mounts, that's super sweet.

We are going with Clay Lancaster...gonna feed him a bunch of beers and get him to take me to get a Stone! ha!

Lets hear about your Stone, who, when, where, recommendations, PICS!

Sweet Fatrack. Enjoy the hunt with your pops. Nobody ever regrets spending time with their old man!!

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HaileyB
Back