Caribou Gear Tarp

Loading for the 6mm-06. What works for you?

RookieHunter

Have been working with the 6mm-06 wildcat for a couple years now and have developed a pretty good guideline of what works and doesn't in my rifle. Just curious what others have found.

One sure thing I have found is this: Information online is scarce and very situational...especially regarding brass specs and more specifically H20 capacity. This alone, negates the exacting value of a documented "Pet Load" which is the most prevalent information available.

With the above in mind, consistency for me started when I ditched all brass that wasn't the same make and cartridge...of course I was always careful to load batches with like brass, but the fact I was loading with three different makes and different cartridges muddled up my data when comparing loads. So my selection of cartridge, based on Price and Availability, is the Winchester brass in 270win. Trimmed to a Max length of 2.54" which my chamber allows. (The selection of 270win over the 25-06rem was purely related to the desire to have a longer neck on my cartridge. Why?...Perhaps others that have done the same, will share their thoughts first.)

FYI - On occasion Brownell's has had Head Stamped 6mm-06 Brass for sale...I've never purchased as I didn't want to lock myself into something with questionable availability. And the expense...WOW!

Interested in your finding. Please share freely your thoughts about loading the 6mm-06 and perhaps why you chose it over the readily available 240wby or 6mm-284.

What twist rate are you running? The 6-06 is a great cartridge and really shines with the 105-115gr 6mm bullets.

I thought about building a 6mm-06 on a rifle but in the end went with the 280 AI. I sure think the 6mm-06 is a sweet cartridge and loaded with a 100 gr. Partition , 90 gr. Accubond, or 90 gr. E-tip it sure would be a laser on deer and antelope!

9" twist but according to the Berger twist calculator 105grn is about is about max for my twist. In the near future I'll build an 8" twist to utilize those heavier rounds, probably going to be on the Contender platform.

I typically use the 100grn interlocks or partitions for hunting, though I did use a Berger 105vld for antelope this year with good success. Currently my most accurate is a 95grn Partition.

I'd like to have a 6-06 someday. I'd pick it over the others mentioned due to brass availability and feeding. I'd probably twist it 8" to take advantage of the longer bullets and would probably start my loading with the 105gr Scenar.

I don't think you'll be able to build anything on the 06 case in the Contender. Too much bolt thrust.

9" twist but according to the Berger twist calculator 105grn is about is about max for my twist. In the near future I'll build an 8" twist to utilize those heavier rounds, probably going to be on the Contender platform.

I typically use the 100grn interlocks or partitions for hunting, though I did use a Berger 105vld for antelope this year with good success. Currently my most accurate is a 95grn Partition.

That 95 gr. Partition is a great bullet also.

Yeah, sorry the T/C Encore is what I mean. Layne Simpson wrote an article titled "6mm-06 Wildcat" for Rifleshooter, an online magazine that came up in a 6mm-06 search. Layne is pictured with an Encore in 6mm-06. Short, yet informative article that I've read more than a few times to glean information from.

I'll have to check out that bullet you mentioned. Hopefully the geometry is more favorable than the 105VLD...the combination of a deep boat tail and long tip prevents me from getting seating depth to .020" jump, resulting in less than .112" of grip on the bullet. The 95VLD is worse and either I have to seat ..050" off the lands to get minimal neck tension or just go with the 95 Classic hunter instead which gives me close to .210 of grip on the bullet. At first I didn't think this would really matter, this minuscule amount of grab on the bullet, but I've ruined many possibly tight 5 shot groups with two well aimed shots going an inch left, right and up and down....my bullet seating was affecting the way the bullet was engaging the lands, between differing degrees of concentricity or runout. My situation may differ from others as the freebore may have been cut much deeper than usual on my chamber.

James

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tmich05
Back