My idea for the ultimate western rifle

Pretty much the same rifle's used in the east will work well in the west! I used to know a guy here, central Ore that filled his tags every year with a lever action 30-30. Heck, I even know a few that fill their tags with a bow!

Okie, just because I tend to use a big cartridge it doesn't mean I think it's the ultimate Western rifle. For me right now it is. Give the .30-06 a good look. Especially with the great bullets available now. Still have and shoot mine. BUT, my RUM is still my go to. mtmuley

Last edited:
I've been tossing around the idea of what I would want in the ultimate "working man's" western hunting rifle. My criteria would consist of the following:
Short action
Less than 8# without optics
Controlled round feed
$1000 or less
~3000fps with a respectable high BC bullet
24" barrel to get the most out of the cartridge without sacrificing portability
Light recoil (I understand this is subjective but for me that would be somewhere around 270 like recoil as I'm a bit recoil sensitive)
Versatile - can be used on anything from speed goats and sheep to elk.

I'm a big fan of Ruger rifles and after some experience with their M77 series rifles I really like the FTW Hunter but they don't chamber it in the cartridge is like.

What are y'alls thoughts?

I think you're looking for a unicorn.

Short action means shorter rifle, less weight, and (for us reloaders) short powder column. The 6.5 PRC that I referred to earlier is based off the RCM case which came within spitting distance of WSM velocities with 1000psi less pressure and 4 gr less powder. For me it's about ballistic efficiency, which is why I love the 6.5 caliber. Since I'm cursed to be a recoil sensitive shooter, I have to find cartridges that get the job done with the least amount of recoil which are most often short action. That said, my favorite rifle is in 270 so I have love for some long actions too

My ideal western rifle would be the one that came with a Wyoming elk tag every year.

I think you're looking for a unicorn.

I thought I had the ideal western rifle in 1989. I saw something better, so I traded it off.
Then I found a really good one, bought it. Then I had two.
Now I have four. Use every one. For me, every one is the ideal western rifle for the purpose it's used for.
So I'd have to agree with the above statement. It takes about four of 'em to do the job - maybe five:rolleyes:.......

I've been tossing around the idea of what I would want in the ultimate "working man's" western hunting rifle. My criteria would consist of the following:
Short action
Less than 8# without optics
Controlled round feed
$1000 or less
~3000fps with a respectable high BC bullet
24" barrel to get the most out of the cartridge without sacrificing portability
Light recoil (I understand this is subjective but for me that would be somewhere around 270 like recoil as I'm a bit recoil sensitive)
Versatile - can be used on anything from speed goats and sheep to elk.

I'm a big fan of Ruger rifles and after some experience with their M77 series rifles I really like the FTW Hunter but they don't chamber it in the cartridge is like.

What are y'alls thoughts?
Based on your preferences, I'd go semi custom. Buy a Ruger 300RCM and have it rebarrrelled to 6.5 PRC. It'd be about $1000. Would go over that if action/magazine work is needed to fit the PRC as the factory ammo is 2.9".

In factory form I too think you are chasing a unicorn. Especially if you are hung up on the PRC and/or 3000fps with high BC bullets in a short action CRF. Though a used Kimber Montana in 270 or 7 WSM checks a whole lot of your boxes. I'd also be that most push feed actions will feed laying on your back ...

I think a Montana Rifle Company Model X2 in 300WSM would be pretty sweet. I have handled several but have not personally shot an MRC rifle yet. I did go up to their business and was shown several rifles and got to see what they are all about. They treated me very well.

A Ruger rifle to build on would also be very nice. My son has a Ruger MKII in 6mm Remington. It's a really nice shooting rifle and the action is stout and the scope mounting system on the Rugers is very rugged and simple. I like how they work. Of course the 6mm is on the light side for what you are wanting to do. One thing I did find out is that the magazine box on the Ruger is longer than Remington and I was able to seat 6mm bullets out there where they needed to be and was not stuck with the short magazines like on the Remington short action.

My son has a Winchester Model 70 Extreme Weather SS in 300 WSM and that is a very nice rifle also. It shoots hard and flat and the recoil is very pleasant. I cannot tell the difference shooting it and my Ruger 1B in 30-06. They recoil about the same. You can find the Model 70 for right around $1000.00.

Last edited:
It's cold outside, and I like talking about guns as well so here is my ideal western hunting rifle: Winchester Model 70 Featherweight with a stainless barrel (the ones they just re-introduced at shot show last week) in 30-06...I'm a big fan of CRF rifles but to each his own...I'm just hoping I can find one of these new releases because I've been wanting one of the Stainless featherweights since they quit making them a few years ago.

Back