My idea for the ultimate western rifle

This would be slightly over your budget ($1200) but meets the other requirements. MRCx2. 270wsm. Great gun. Less than impressed with the company.20180130_154754.jpg

since you want controlled round feed I'd look really hard at the Montana rifle Company X2 in .308 or 7mm-08. you can pick them up for a little over $1000. kimber Montana or Kimber hunter would be a really nice rifle too. also the Winchester model 70 extreme weather in in short action can be had for under $1000. and of course there are lots of rugger m77's in short action like 308 7mm-08 for well under $1000

3000fps out of a short action will mean going to something in a WSM and the recoil likely won't be "light". I suggest reassessing your wants...starting with removing the CRF and velocity requirement. Your scenario of crawling on your back not being able to chamber a round won't happen. There are some serious hunters on this place and never once have I heard of that scenario where they ended up approaching animals on their back.

Get something in 7mm-08, 308 or similar. If you must have CRF then Kimber Hunter falls in line.

I disagree with the CRF comment. Once I had to crawl under my truck and check if I scraped anything after going over a rock. I thought I might see an elk so I took my rifle with me. You just never know.

My vote is for the Winchester M70. The new version is controlled round feed and costs a little over $900.00 at most places.
Caliber is more of a personal decision,though.
Maybe .308, 7mm-08 for power and less recoil. But the .300 short mag would be a better hitter.

This savage set up new would run about $1200 with the Leupold VX3 scope but used can be assembled under a $800 with some patience.

Mine is a 7mm-08 with 22" barrel...

Attachments

• 20171102_102707.jpg
    20171102_102707.jpg
    142.2 KB · Views: 554
This would be slightly over your budget ($1200) but meets the other requirements. MRCx2. 270wsm. Great gun. Less than impressed with the company.View attachment 79673

I have one of these in 7mm08. Nice rifle. It was bit heavier than I prefer. Its 8.3 scoped But great shooter and pretty good handling in the field. I had the barrel chopped at the factory from 24 to 22. I thought the weight would be a deal killer but sure is nice and steady when you lay it down and recoil is light.

I have 2 Remington Model Seven SS rifles with the factory barrels. Both have Bell and Carlson stocks, Leupold VX3i, and Talley lightweight rings.

One is a 7 SAUM with a 22" barrel and weighs a little over 8 pounds all done up and ready to hunt. It sends 160 grain Accubonds down range at a 2960fps average.

The other is a 7-08 with a 20" barrel and weighs 7.5 pounds all done up. It shoots 120 grain NBTs at a 3000fps average and 140 grain Accubonds/Partitions at 2820fps average.

I like them both.

Good luck with your search.

The M70 extreme weather in 7-08 or 308 is what mostly fits your criteria.

I understand the OP wanting what he wants.
Lots seem to want a light rifle and less recoil.
I prefer a good magnum that is weighted well over. 10-11 pounds. They kill all efficiently , and the weight is more to carry, but it cuts the recoil some and helps steady the shot.
I'm different than most in that thinking ,I know.
Still, as I posted above, the model 70 hands down would fit his criteria perfectly. Maybe even a featherweight if one could be found.

I owned a couple of pricey magnums and ended up selling them and going to a sako a7 in dirty ol' six and i love it. If I were to buy another itd be a kimber hunter or savage weather warrior.

If I spend big money on another gun it'll be for a double rifle (a man can dream)

I owned a couple of pricey magnums and ended up selling them and going to a sako a7 in dirty ol' six and i love it. If I were to buy another itd be a kimber hunter or savage weather warrior.

If I spend big money on another gun it'll be for a double rifle (a man can dream)

When I hunted water buffalo and crocs in Australia the guide had a Merkel 470 NE as the stopper. I bought the exact same double rifle a few years back and wow is it sweet. It handles like a glove. That is a whole other thread that would get my heart rate up.

My point to the thread is to get an idea of what everyone would want in a factory western hunting rifle. I posted my criteria because those are important to me. I chose the rifle I did because I have experience with the Hawkeye series of rifles and found them to be very accurate and reliable and the FTW Hunter has some additional features that make it excellent IMHO. I chose the cartridge I did because to me it gives me the best of both worlds in terms of light and fast but still carries enough weight and energy to achieve penetration and terminal performance within and even beyond reasonable hunting distances.
Every person on this forum has their favorite rifle, cartridge, bullet, etc. Some guys are magnum gunners like mtmuley while others will tackle the mountain with a 6mm and that's cool. I love talking guns and that's what this thread is about, what cranks your handle and what someone else might like too.

Millwork gets the drift

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mfrosty6
Back