Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

My idea for the ultimate western rifle

okie_hotrod

I've been tossing around the idea of what I would want in the ultimate "working man's" western hunting rifle. My criteria would consist of the following:
Short action
Less than 8# without optics
Controlled round feed
$1000 or less
~3000fps with a respectable high BC bullet
24" barrel to get the most out of the cartridge without sacrificing portability
Light recoil (I understand this is subjective but for me that would be somewhere around 270 like recoil as I'm a bit recoil sensitive)
Versatile - can be used on anything from speed goats and sheep to elk.

I'm a big fan of Ruger rifles and after some experience with their M77 series rifles I really like the FTW Hunter but they don't chamber it in the cartridge is like.

What are y'alls thoughts?

Why controlled round feed? Also, magazine or floor hinge? Tang safety? 60 deg or less bolt throw?

Last edited:
Magazine doesn't really matter to me as much as long as it doesn't come below the trigger guard. I like having controlled round feed in case I have to chamber a round on my back while crawling to a shooting position. I'd hate to have to crawl up to the top of a bare rocky ridge to get a shot at a goat or elk and not be able to have a round chambered before I got there.

My Tikka .308 is about as good a do-it-all working man's rifle as I could imagine. Made by commie Europeans so the barrel is like 22.4" but that lightweight little rifle is the real shiz.

I love the Tikka actions but I feel like crf was important enough to keep it the criteria. Plus I haven't seen any with 24" barrels

Picture worth a thousand words...lots to like. Only thing I'd change is a barrel length from 23 to 22...

Some of the things on your list are over-rated CRF being close to the top.

IMG_4970.JPG

My smoothest feeding rifles are all push feed FWIW, just my preference though.

Tang safety is big for me, way easier and quicker to flip it off over a safety near the bolt.

Last edited:
For stand hunting coyotes or whitetails over a field where I live a push feed works just fine because I can chamber a round knowing that I'll be sitting and not moving much if at all but if I'm hiking and climbing I'd rather err on the safer side. At the end it's all about preference and I like talking guns and getting other guys ideas so it's all fun times

Except it needs to be short action. That being said, the smallest caliber I'd personally use on elk is 6.5

Picture worth a thousand words...lots to like. Only thing I'd change is a barrel length from 23 to 22...

Some of the things on your list are over-rated CRF being close to the top.

IMG_4970.JPG

<1K sans scope all in? Nice, btw.

$1k for just the rifle, I already have an optic in mind.

I understand some of my criteria is different from what other people would do but it's just my preference. This thread is mainly just for picking brains and seeing what y'all would consider the ultimate "budget" western rifle given a few parameters.

Last edited:
3000fps out of a short action will mean going to something in a WSM and the recoil likely won't be "light". I suggest reassessing your wants...starting with removing the CRF and velocity requirement. Your scenario of crawling on your back not being able to chamber a round won't happen. There are some serious hunters on this place and never once have I heard of that scenario where they ended up approaching animals on their back.

Get something in 7mm-08, 308 or similar. If you must have CRF then Kimber Hunter falls in line.

My rifle given this criteria would be a Ruger M77 FTW Hunter chambered in 6.5 PRC. The rifle comes in at 7.6lbs with a 24" barrel and comes with a muzzle brake. That round pushes a 140gr Accubond at 3000 fps out of a 24" barrel in a short action and would generate recoil similar to a 6.5x284 Norma. Ruger doesn't make that rifle in that chambering but if they did I think that would be perfect.

I'm not trying to stir up a shit storm or anything, just wanting to hear what others think or what they would consider.

Last edited:
<1K sans scope all in? Nice, btw.

Close, could get there without lapping and truing the action...shave a bit more with a standard pacnor vs. super match grade.

btw, thanks again for the -08 brass...it has a good home, all polished up and ready to go.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back