Caribou Gear

.270 Weatherby Mag

1-pointer, I have to agree. Most calibers lose less than 30fps, per inch shortened barrel length. But you never know till ya know, sometimes.
I have loaded the old gun with R-25 in the 150s with good speed, but it just never got good accuracy at the higher pressure loads. Haven't any R-26 on hand and hate to buy just to try. Though I would or could make use of some 26. So I will take that into consideration for a try ,before leaping into the rechambering.
The .270 Weatherby operates at lower pressure than the Winchester cartridge. That's one reason I looked at it initially.
But it may only gain 100fps overall with the 140 + bullets.
That wouldn't be worth it.

I have an Mark V accumark I bought in 2009. If you dont like the 270 for reasons of powder and recoil vs performance seems you would be going from frying pan into the fire. That said it will smoke a deer right quick. I zero'd mine ran about 40 rounds through it and killed a few deer with it then put it in the safe.
Mines a safe queen. I use my 270 win mostly for my deer hunting and drag along a 7mm08 as a back up.

I understand your point there Boarmaster. I just figured if I could give it magnum performance it would be more useful to me than as just another deer rifle, as I already own many medium to small calibers that I like to use more.
If I can gain a couple hundred fps or load heavier 160s at the same speed I currently get a 140 ,it would be a long range gun or a decent bigger game gun.

I was after 400.00 for a very good looking rifle that has a timney trigger, limb saver recoil pad and groups around 3/4" at the hundred with 130gr. Accubonds and Reloader 19 powder.

Haven't gotten better than 2890fps. ( At least that shot well anyways) out of the gun with 140s. It shoots the 130s the best and gets just over 2,900fps with those. It has never liked 150s.
Not a sloutch I know, but my .260 rem pushes 140 and 129gr bullets faster, more accurately, and with far less powder and recoil.
Don't think I can be happy with a .270 win after all that.
Lots of guys around here unfortunately think similar as I about the .270 and that makes it a tuff sale.
I bought the old gun pretty cheap and it handles well and as I said it looks good too.

It is a project my son and I talked about doing if it didn't sell.
I am well aware that a good 26" barrel is needed to fully get the performance from the Weatherby Mag. But a couple inches shouldn't cost more than 75-100 fps at most, I hope anyway.
The cost to rechambering should be less than 150.00 if I send the bolt off for machining, along with the 40.00 to rent the reamer.
I'm fully aware of the work involved and a couple days labor is what I expected to get it done myself.
Hopefully I can hear from someone who has done a rechambering to .270 Weatherby Mag and has some real world numbers to share on performance and labor.

Don't believe a REM 260 outshoots aWin270

Lots of .270 win lovers out there, that's for sure.
I'm not one of them, though I can't say it's a bad caliber. It's a good rifle to have.
I'll take the .260 over it any moment of any day in any situation.
Anyone that shoots them side by side turn into believers, in my experience.
Nothing wrong with most any mid size caliber for most of the game in America.
Shoot what you like.
My .260 almost equals the velocities of my .270 win, with 140s out of a barrel that's 4" shorter, and does it more accurately in my rifles. And has less recoil.
That's been my experience so far.

Might not rechamber the old .270, but it won't get much time out of my gun cabinet any time soon as it is.

Last edited:
I have never had problems reaching noslers book velocities. I would play with seating depth before I reduced powder charge to get accuracy.
Most all guns lose around 25fps per inch of barrel when going from something like a 26 to a 24" barrel. I have a 300 ultra that originally had a 26 and a chopped it to 24. I lost 58fps with the same loads.
With that said if the Ruger is bitchy and not what you want trade the thing in or reduce the price until it sells.

Thanks for the velocity data.
Looks like I'll be putting the .270 win up for sale again this week. If it doesn't sell this time I'll just keep it for a nephew to have in a few years, if he wants it.
Thanks again guys.

Millsworks,
This threads a bit old but I wanted to give you my experience with a similar project. I had a Weatherby Vanguard in 270 Win that was a bit superfluous with my other rifles so I rechambered it to 270 Wby. It has a 1:10 / 24" barrel and it was well worth the expense. I bought a Magnum bolt and had the chambering done by a very competent man in TX for $125 I think. I'm sure he could do your bolt face for you. I'm not familiar with Ruger extractor but if its a mauser type should be no trouble. Contact me if you want more info.

Also, Weatherby cartridges have never been so affordable as they are now compared with other magnum chamberings.

I am not aware that the tang safety Rugers ever came with a 24” barrel.

But if your original complaint with the 270 Win is recoil and powder burning efficiency, then you are only going to find things get worse with a magnum.

And how does the barrel shoot now? A lot of those old Rugers weren’t very accurate. No sense in rebarreling a bad barrel.

In short, your plan doesn’t make much sense to me if those are your current complaints and stated goals.
Yep, I have a mark v accumark in 270 weatherby. He is going from the frying pan into the fire based on the reason for not favoring the 270.

Yes, that's the deal with magnums; the extra 100-200 fps costs powder. Look at the 7mm STW - load data shows about 10 fps per grain of 4831 above 7mm Rem Mag loads. Do you need it? You have to decide for yourself.

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mfrosty6
Back