Yeti GOBOX Collection

Gps

JDMickTX

I'm sure this sounds like a simple subject but I have no experience with them. Here in the middle of Texas I can typically get GPS coverage on my smart phone and have played around with the onX Hunt app recently. However, I'm heading to Southeast Alaska in August, and I hope to make "get the heck out of civilization" hunts an annual thing. Having said all of that, I'm looking to get an actual GPS device and start gaining experience with it this spring and summer while hiking with the family, and I don't know where to start.

So, what makes one GPS device better than another? I'd like to have capability to use the onX maps, but beyond that, are there any particular features that stand out, or anything vital to backcountry hunting that I need to pay attention to before I purchase one?

Four years in the Corps was a great way to learn land nav.
Topo and compass are my back up to the Garmin 62s that’s in my pack.

Gps's are just about obsolete, havent used one in 6 years+. Learn how to use you cell phone as a standalone, its does everything just need to learn how to use it. Bonus is money saved buy a nice battery to recharge it, $30 what i got mine off amazon for. Just akes some time learning but it truly works awesome

Chris

Gps's are just about obsolete, havent used one in 6 years+. Learn how to use you cell phone as a standalone, its does everything just need to learn how to use it. Bonus is money saved buy a nice battery to recharge it, $30 what i got mine off amazon for. Just akes some time learning but it truly works awesome

Chris

Ah, so using the phone's GPS in offline mode with something preloaded like onX? That would certainly simplify things, I just didn't know if it was as reliable as a standalone GPS device.

The only reason I'd take a GPS over just the phone is ifbyou and buddies got the rhinos that can communicate with each other.
On x should work great but other options are backcountry navigator and Gaia

I’ve broke a iPhone screen twice in daily life, drowned another one and have them get too hot or cold all the time. I’ve never had a GPS unit quite for any reason other than dead batteries. May take a few minutes to upload due to foliage. My compass doesn’t take batteries nor does it care about leaves. My cellphone is for taking pictures, not leading me off the mountain at midnight.

The most distinguishing feature of modern GPS units is the interface. You have to choose between touch screen and toggle. Try a few different ones at any outdoor store and see which you like better. In general, the touchscreens require you to take your gloves off or have the special finger-tip gloves. In extremely cold temps, the touch screen may not work well.

The next important feature is the screen size. Bigger is better, but more expensive.

I think the biggest advantages of a GPS unit vs a phone is that most GPS units are waterproof and the batteries are easy to change. You can get heavy duty cases and USB chargers for your phone that help mitigate these differences. I tried OnX last Fall and as much as I wanted to like it, I had some kind of glitch that made the map not display at all. Maybe it has gotten better, but I will still be carrying my GPS unit until I get a lot more confidence in the app.

Whatever you choose, get really comfortable with it. Don't wait until you are in the field and your life (or extreme discomfort) depend on it to try to figure it out.

You can see the many times where on this forum I have posted about this. But I have totally ditched the GPS. My Note8 is waterproof and cased so no worries on it breaking. OnX works flawlessly on it. Screen size is incomparable to any standalone GPS out there. IT's huge which has been a benefit. I carry a small battery pack that cost me $30 and does 4 charges on the phone. I can get almost 2 full days on one charge, more if I don't play with it.

Of course, you have your backups, but I would never just carry a compass and a map. Just liked I'd never just carry a GPS.

Thanks for the feedback. I purchased a year subscription for my home state today and will test the app over the next several months, but will watch for sales and get a pure GPS as a primary or backup if I find a good bargain.

I’ve been on the fence for a while about picking up a handheld device or just sticking with my iphone, so I wrote onxmaps to see if there was any advantage to the more costly chip than the smartphone download. The response was that the processing and production of the chip is what makes it more expensive, despite actually containing less information than the phone download. I’ve decided to invest in a quality power bank instead of a handheld gps and just continue to use my phone, with a map and compass as a backup. Just thought I’d weigh in on the debate.

I’ve been on the fence for a while about picking up a handheld device or just sticking with my iphone, so I wrote onxmaps to see if there was any advantage to the more costly chip than the smartphone download. The response was that the processing and production of the chip is what makes it more expensive, despite actually containing less information than the phone download. I’ve decided to invest in a quality power bank instead of a handheld gps and just continue to use my phone, with a map and compass as a backup. Just thought I’d weigh in on the debate.

Yep, I've gone the same route. Getting frequent updates as part of the phone app is handy, and being able to save and create map areas, along with being able to make or view maps on either your phone or computer, has been very handy. I'll invest in something more waterproof than my Otterbox, along with extra power storage, later in the year before I head to Alaska.

I use OnX as my primary navigation, and my brother has an Oregon 450 with the OnX chip (he is usually hunting with me). I would definitely have to say that I enjoy using the app on my phone far more than his gps, but if I had to choose only one it would probably be the gps simply for reliability reasons. I haven't really heard the stories of the gps failing although they are out there. You've got the right idea though. Use the app as your go-to navigation and just pick up a cheap but dependable gps for backup. You definitely want to have backup in Alaska! haha

Thanks for the feedback. I purchased a year subscription for my home state today and will test the app over the next several months, but will watch for sales and get a pure GPS as a primary or backup if I find a good bargain.

This is what I do. In addition, last year I used my tablet. I would have it sitting on my center console of my truck and have a bigger view of exactly where I was.

So I'm a luddite when it comes to phones. Do the modern smartphones actually have GPS built into them? Or do they require cell service to access the gps function?

So I'm a luddite when it comes to phones. Do the modern smartphones actually have GPS built into them? Or do they require cell service to access the gps function?

Here's an article I read while researching this same question:

http://www.adventurealan.com/iphone-gps-map-backpacking/

Summary: Yes, smartphones have an independent GPS function that communicate with satellites regardless of cell service, just like a handheld GPS device. The difference is that most smartphone GPS programs load maps by pulling data over the cell service, so you need to pre-load or save maps to your phone. I've saved maps of my hunting areas with On X and can view them with my phone offline.

Last edited:
Ok so...I do like the Oxhunt app. I do like to communicate with my wife while I’m in the mountains. I have the Delorme GPS. My wife is home alone while I’m in the mountains so I like to check in every night. I do pay a monthly fee but $14 is the minimum for paid text messages but if u send I pre-set up message it’s free to use and net pay extra. I hunt alone which is nice to have as an emergency if I need it. The new gps tool that are available today are great. Yes I use my phone that has an app for the delorme I use Onxhunt as well. The question to ask yourself is what do I want my GPS to do at the end of the day. If you are not looking for outside communication OnX is great, if not look at the now Garmin Inreach. There are options out there to every5hing you are looking for. Look at what your needs are and assess.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dyaddof
Back