MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Backpacking help

My very first backpack hunt was done using the alps pack and I HATED it!!! SO extremely uncomfortable!

I sold it on craigslist and used the money to by a military surplus molle 2 pack and hopped on ebay for 10-12 snap on pouches and I'm THRILLED with it's comfort and functionality!

There is a pretty sweet deal on a Mystery Ranch pack on Camofire.com (today only) for around $200, if you havent already purchased a pack.

If you haven't bought your pack yet I wouldn't worry about spending sub 200 for that kind of use. I personally bought a 75 liter internal frame from REI on clearance for well south of that figure. I've carried some pretty full loads for a couple hundred miles altogether in this pack. It carries similarly the ILBE packs that I carried in the Marine Corps. The difference is weight and durability. My pack weighs between 5-6 pounds empty but I have had a non-essential strap break this year and the netting on an outside pouch has some tears. I also had the chest strap break off but I tied it back on. The military surplus pack wouldn't have these issues because it's built to pass from one Marine to another without breaking. But it would also weigh twice as much.

I think my brother has that exact same Alps pack you suggested and it worked fine. I wouldn't drop 10k on backpacking gear just to go on my first backpack hunting trip! If you do stick with it, then you can upgrade as each article starts to wear out.

There will always be gear junkies that have to have the latest model of the top of the line. So what do they do with the older model ? Look on ebay, you'll find anything and everything there for a fraction of the price and sometimes they are in like new condition. Just about every piece of top quality gear I own I have bought at swapmeets. I recently bought a like new Mountain Hardwear Trango 4 tent for $40...retails for $850 Shop around for used. Used doesn't always mean abused. I have found gear "used" that still had the tags on them.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Crookhunt
Back