MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

what binos?

wyoboypt

Hypothetical question. I have the option to spend 900 on a pair of binoculars. Or 1800 on a pair optically the same but is 3.6 ounces lighter. I hike hundreds of miles per year. (also i only weigh 140. so weight savings is appealing) What should i get?

Last edited:
silly question, $900 of course....and really, you can find others that are optically the same and spend even less if you look :)

What do you mean by optically the same... a 10x42 pair of vortex binos are not the same as a 10x42 $1800 pair of swaros for instance. I would only go for the heavier pair if it were the same manufacture, and that manufacturer said they were exactly the same but for the weight.

In dollars per ounce saved there are nearly infinite more cost effective ways to do that than 3.6 oz of glass. Optics are for opticking, and quality trumps all within reason. But that's really a different question.

If you haven’t purchased yet, Meopta powered the price of their 10x42 Meostar HD down to $999. Not sure what you were looking at but I bet the Meostars would be superior.

What do you mean by optically the same... a 10x42 pair of vortex binos are not the same as a 10x42 $1800 pair of swaros for instance. I would only go for the heavier pair if it were the same manufacture, and that manufacturer said they were exactly the same but for the weight.

They are meopta and I can see no difference optically

The quality of good glass isn't observed during the middle of the day. It's the extra minutes of glassing at first and last light where they pay for themselves.

When walking miles ounces turn to pounds.

While i don't have the option for $900, much less $1,800 and stay married, i opted for less weight and decent optics for less.

For $900 more..thats easy buy the cheaper pair and use that 900 to upgrade other equipment you carry everyday. Its way easier to shave ounces maybe pounds in other places: clothing, boots, pack, knife, emergency kit etc... hell for that kind of money you can buy some exercise equipment or gym membership and trim the weight where it matters most.

Chris

If you hike hundreds of miles a year you are probably in pretty good shape and 3.6 oz won't kill you. Take one less cartridge in the woods and it'll even out.

I had meoptas and upgraded to leica, would never go back. Having said that the meoptas worked fine. You'll be right mate.

Cabelas has Euro HDs on sale for $500 down from $1100. Pretty sure they’re Meopta. Good deal. Great glass. Low stock. So hurry.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hotdeals
Back