Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 26 to 42 of 42
  1. #26

    Default

    When I first found this site 8 years ago the attitudes were quite different. I guess age as softened the attitude somewhat.
    Last edited by boutdoors; 02-12-2018 at 05:51 PM.

  2. #27

    Default

    DIY yes you need to gain info. However, there is no substitute for experience & especially successful experience.

  3. #28

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Atla View Post
    <- Less than 5 posts.

    In less than four weeks of deciding to go west and hunt(after looking into game ranches in eastern US and deciding anything other than fair-chase is an expensive losers game), I managed to:

    1. Learn enough about the the point/tag system for multiple states to know how and where to play and what I want to go for first.
    2. Locate a private ranch with a good population of Pronghorns and lodging for a reasonable fee in an area with historical 100% drawing chances with zero points and 80% harvest success rates.
    3. Learn enough about the usefulness of my 'White Tail Equipment' to simply up my optics game for open spaces. (Spotting Scope arrived Sat, Bino's are next on the list.)
    4. Plan an entire hunt that will include two 25 hour drives from NC to WY and three days between to either hunt or tour the state.
    5. Work up a budget to pay for the entire thing(including shoulder mounts) in cash for myself and my father.

    (In full disclosure, I posted on a now mostly-defunct Wyoming rifleman type forum I used to visit and it turned out an old online acquaintance had the ranch and availability. I never would have known had I not posted a thread asking for suggestions.)

    My only hunting experience is harvesting 5 average white tails, only one antlered, and a single time bear hunting with dogs this past New Years Day. I've been to Wyoming once, 10 years ago, and we toured around the state. At the time I planned on moving to Cody, WY to be a Peace Officer. That went sideways obviously... Marine Corps and Marriages will do that to you.

    The only new thread I've considered posting here is a, "Hey - I'm going Pronghorn hunting. No questions really, just want ya'll to know I'm stoked."

    I'm really just lingering on this sight looking at hunted animals and reading about experiences and keeping an eye out for any good deals on used gear.

    But actually, after typing this, I do have a good question in need of a thread. I need some feedback on who to use as a taxidermist near the eastern side of Wyoming(Preferably near Sundance) that I can drop our heads and capes off at before we come home. I don't trust East Coast taxidermists with an Antelope. (Feel free to PM me so we don't spam this thread)

    This is a guy that really wants to hunt an antelope. Almost makes me feel guilty for taking all the opportunity for granted.
    'Hunt a little harder Gomer' - u1299

    ...sound proof phone booths ruin our environment." -gr8bwana

  4. Default

    It does seem absurd this year, or maybe I’m just getting older and more easily bothered...and burnt out on helping people never to hear from em again. As far as pronghorn, after 7 minutes of research it would be utter insanity to think that you’d be spending money and not be successful!! Unless of course you’ve never hunted a day in your life!!
    Yep, I think point creep will keep happening, maybe more so on the “easy” to draw pronghorn units. But the most important thing is, the more people that care about western hunting, the more people we should have to voice their opinion and fight to preserve public lands.

    I have to throw this in: My favorite guy is...guy that posts the exact same question in 3 forums.

  5. #30
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    West Coast, Michigan
    Posts
    301

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Atla View Post
    <- Less than 5 posts.

    In less than four weeks of deciding to go west and hunt(after looking into game ranches in eastern US and deciding anything other than fair-chase is an expensive losers game), I managed to:

    1. Learn enough about the the point/tag system for multiple states to know how and where to play and what I want to go for first.
    2. Locate a private ranch with a good population of Pronghorns and lodging for a reasonable fee in an area with historical 100% drawing chances with zero points and 80% harvest success rates.
    3. Learn enough about the usefulness of my 'White Tail Equipment' to simply up my optics game for open spaces. (Spotting Scope arrived Sat, Bino's are next on the list.)
    4. Plan an entire hunt that will include two 25 hour drives from NC to WY and three days between to either hunt or tour the state.
    5. Work up a budget to pay for the entire thing(including shoulder mounts) in cash for myself and my father.

    (In full disclosure, I posted on a now mostly-defunct Wyoming rifleman type forum I used to visit and it turned out an old online acquaintance had the ranch and availability. I never would have known had I not posted a thread asking for suggestions.)

    My only hunting experience is harvesting 5 average white tails, only one antlered, and a single time bear hunting with dogs this past New Years Day. I've been to Wyoming once, 10 years ago, and we toured around the state. At the time I planned on moving to Cody, WY to be a Peace Officer. That went sideways obviously... Marine Corps and Marriages will do that to you.

    The only new thread I've considered posting here is a, "Hey - I'm going Pronghorn hunting. No questions really, just want ya'll to know I'm stoked."

    I'm really just lingering on this sight looking at hunted animals and reading about experiences and keeping an eye out for any good deals on used gear.

    But actually, after typing this, I do have a good question in need of a thread. I need some feedback on who to use as a taxidermist near the eastern side of Wyoming(Preferably near Sundance) that I can drop our heads and capes off at before we come home. I don't trust East Coast taxidermists with an Antelope. (Feel free to PM me so we don't spam this thread)
    Bro right on this is awesome best of luck I’m stoked for you!

    Ps my experience with particular eastern taxidermists is that they can be fully trusted to handle a Pronghorn properly but I know only because they had specimens in their shop on display.
    Don't you ever wonder why
    In spite of all that's wrong here
    There's still so much that goes so right
    And beauty abounds?

    The thunder rolls and the baby sighs
    And the rain comes down
    Don't you wanta thank someone for this?
    -Andrew Peterson

  6. #31

    Default

    I'm curious to know what percentage of the guys asking actually end up going. I had been trying to put together a trip for years and it seemed that every time it came down to putting in for the tags or points, it was silence from the guys in my group that were "100 percent" ready to go. Last year I got fed up with it and made the trip out west alone and had a blast. Those guys now say they're really serious now but we'll see what happens. I'm going regardless

  7. #32
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    In the middle
    Posts
    484

    Default

    Sounds like you need new friends.

    Keep the group small. 2 is about perfect in my book.

  8. #33

    Default

    For myself I can attribute it mostly to Podcasts and realizing that some boys from Georgia can actually go out West and make a hunt happen that many hear never would dream possible! I myself am planning to hunt Wyoming this year for antelope and have heard it is a good starting place for first time Western hunts.

    I also believe the topic of Public Land has become more prevalent in these last few years bringing to light many hunting possibilities for some of us younger and newer to the sport. Just my two cents!

  9. #34
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Andover, Minnesota
    Posts
    3,020

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Atla View Post
    <- Less than 5 posts.

    In less than four weeks of deciding to go west and hunt(after looking into game ranches in eastern US and deciding anything other than fair-chase is an expensive losers game), I managed to:

    1. Learn enough about the the point/tag system for multiple states to know how and where to play and what I want to go for first.
    2. Locate a private ranch with a good population of Pronghorns and lodging for a reasonable fee in an area with historical 100% drawing chances with zero points and 80% harvest success rates.
    3. Learn enough about the usefulness of my 'White Tail Equipment' to simply up my optics game for open spaces. (Spotting Scope arrived Sat, Bino's are next on the list.)
    4. Plan an entire hunt that will include two 25 hour drives from NC to WY and three days between to either hunt or tour the state.
    5. Work up a budget to pay for the entire thing(including shoulder mounts) in cash for myself and my father.

    (In full disclosure, I posted on a now mostly-defunct Wyoming rifleman type forum I used to visit and it turned out an old online acquaintance had the ranch and availability. I never would have known had I not posted a thread asking for suggestions.)

    My only hunting experience is harvesting 5 average white tails, only one antlered, and a single time bear hunting with dogs this past New Years Day. I've been to Wyoming once, 10 years ago, and we toured around the state. At the time I planned on moving to Cody, WY to be a Peace Officer. That went sideways obviously... Marine Corps and Marriages will do that to you.

    The only new thread I've considered posting here is a, "Hey - I'm going Pronghorn hunting. No questions really, just want ya'll to know I'm stoked."

    I'm really just lingering on this sight looking at hunted animals and reading about experiences and keeping an eye out for any good deals on used gear.

    But actually, after typing this, I do have a good question in need of a thread. I need some feedback on who to use as a taxidermist near the eastern side of Wyoming(Preferably near Sundance) that I can drop our heads and capes off at before we come home. I don't trust East Coast taxidermists with an Antelope. (Feel free to PM me so we don't spam this thread)
    Nice job! Alot of us were in your shoes at one point, and I feel like working through the process the way you are is what really makes the experience rewarding.

    Don't skimp on a tripod for your spotter and binos. There are some good thread that will point you in some good directions.

    As for taxidermy, I would guess most taxidermists in your area have experience with Pronghorn. Cats seem like the biggest question mark for the inexperienced taxidermist. I would not bring a mountain lion back east. Another consideration is that the shipping of a shoulder mount could almost reach the same cost as the taxidermy work itself, but that could also be a good excuse to come back hunting the next fall, to pick up your mount . If I were you I would visit a few taxidermists local to you and take a look at their work, most probably have a pronghorn hanging up.
    “The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.” - Jack London

  10. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by North Georgia Mtns View Post
    For myself I can attribute it mostly to Podcasts and realizing that some boys from Georgia can actually go out West and make a hunt happen that many hear never would dream possible! I myself am planning to hunt Wyoming this year for antelope and have heard it is a good starting place for first time Western hunts.

    I also believe the topic of Public Land has become more prevalent in these last few years bringing to light many hunting possibilities for some of us younger and newer to the sport. Just my two cents!
    I second this. After listening to the Meateater podcast for 2 years...I am also making the plunge from GA to out West this year.
    I am also a mega-lurker, if you couldn't tell by how long ago I joined vs. my post count but that's because I feel like I have so much more to learn than contribute.

  11. #36

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 480/277y View Post
    I been hunting a unit that is limited public/limited access/100% draw. Building points. I have taken nephews, brother and two friends there and have done well. After my last hunt there , I wanted to scout a unit that 3 years ago took 6 points. Which I had. This unit comes up often. Mostly by people who have never been there ,that just regurgitate what they read someplace . Had I burned my points there I would had been mad. I was underwelmed with the unit.

    Bottom line, go hunt a unit with tags you can draw. Hunt smart and you will have fun. Save a few days to scout the unit you want to spend points on. Following some color coded unit map , taking advise on the Internet or old info is a sure way to be disapointed .
    Really good posts 480/277y I've got to say I agree with almost everything you have said I usually research and read a lot and when it comes to specific questions time then I hit huntalk

  12. #37
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    In the middle
    Posts
    484

    Default

    How many of you guys call a regional wildlife biologist in the state or region you are interested?in hunting?

  13. #38

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BrentD View Post
    How many of you guys call a regional wildlife biologist in the state or region you are interested?in hunting?
    Always, multiple biologists if I can, I've learned some are more helpful than others but I've had pleasant experiences and some insightful information out of most all of them

  14. #39

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BrentD View Post
    How many of you guys call a regional wildlife biologist in the state or region you are interested?in hunting?
    Are they going to be tired of us Western States newbies about this time of year? Are they willing/able to take the time, or are we a necessary evil for them? The midwesterner in me feels like I would be imposing
    "Freedom is NOT Free"

  15. #40
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    In the middle
    Posts
    484

    Default

    Viknbg'sguy,
    I know what you mean, and on any given day, you may get any of those sorts of responses, but if you are courteous and friendly, chances are they will be too. There are, I'm sure, limits to the amount of time that they can spend chatting with you and the amount of information they can give out, but at the same time they can tell you a lot about the recent condition of the population, the sort of country you are interested in, and how many people you might expect to find back there, all with the precondition that it's a little like predicting the weather.

    I ask because one of those wildlife biologists is a former grad student of mine and I know he does a lot of consulting with hunters. He is a hunter himself as well (as are all of the state wildlife biologists that I have met), so he understands your interests pretty fundamentally. Definitely, i think it is a mistake to not call them, but do so with a little forethought and you are more likely to get some good advice and options to consider.

  16. #41

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by VikingsGuy View Post
    Are they going to be tired of us Western States newbies about this time of year? Are they willing/able to take the time, or are we a necessary evil for them? The midwesterner in me feels like I would be imposing
    I called before my last trip and the biologist was very helpful. She said that population was good and that she killed her biggest pronghorn the year before in the area. I was calling more to find out about the deer population than pronghorn but had I not called I would have regretted it. She advised me to pick a different are for deer and after looking around a while when we were out there I was really glad I followed her advice.
    Last edited by JDH; 02-16-2018 at 11:21 AM.

  17. Default

    Thanks for the kind words all, especially in regards to local Taxidermists. If I can save on shipping fees, that works for me!

    I've already managed to locate several online that I'll need to take some trips too over the coming months to look at their mounts.

    I suppose more people go west from NC to hunt than I realized.
    Pew-Pew-Pew.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •