PEAX Equipment

Muzzleloader Scope

jakenbake

So I just picked up a muzzleloader (CVA Optima V2) and was looking at scopes. The motley assortment of scopes I have currently "maxes out" in niceness with a Vortex Diamondback. I'm looking at a Bushnell Banner, which is obviously super economical, but was also looking at the Leupold VX-Freedom line. I know it's kind of comparing oranges and grapefruits, but are the Leupolds really worth the extra cost? It's really hard to tell how different scopes are in the first half hour/last half hour of shooting light without in-the-field experience. Thanks in advance for any thoughts you might be able to share.

IMO the Leupolds are worth the money. Where are you that yoy can use a scope on a muzzy?

I've had older Leupold Vari-X II 2x7 on my CVA Accura since I bought it 8 years ago. It been a deadly combination for me.

I'd find a Leupold.
I have one of the 1st good MZ scopes,Nikon. Good glass,nice scope. But Nikon BDC reticles suck....all the viewing space in the scope. lol

Most folks don't realize the impacts mz'z have on rifle scopes. You need a MZ scope for a 50 cal IMHO

I have used only Leupolds on my muzzguns. Have used Vx2 1-4; VX2 2-7; VX2 3.9 Super Slam; and VX2 3-9. My current gun had the last scope on it and I want to replace it with a VX3i 2.5-8. For the size and weight, I thik that the 2.5-8 is largely underappreciated. Costs $399.99; but check with Schmalts on here. I'm sure he can get you a better price....

Check their warranty's if you put a Rifle scope on your Muzzeloader.
I know several guys that have sent in damaged scopes & not had them covered. One was honest & said it was on a mz & the others lied.One got his fixed.They get slammed more than a standard rifle scope & the lenses come loose.
If it works fine,but you will have to not tell them you had it on a MZ gun most likely.

For as little as I shoot a scoped muzzy I went with a Bushnell Banner muzz/shotgun scope on mine and it works just fine. It holds a zero and works at low light. I'm sure a Leupold scope would be better, but I don't use the scoped gun very much, so I went with the Bushnell for the price. If I were to use it a lot I would definitely go with the Leupold.

I just put a plain old Nikon 3-9x40 pro staff on my muzzle loader

Exactly what I have on 2 muzzies. Good value for the money. I'm not planning to shot past 125 yds, most shots being less than 100. Yes, you could spend more, but for me it is not warranted. If it was going on one of my rifles where I expect to shoot past 300, then I will spend for the glass.

I just put a plain old Nikon 3-9x40 pro staff on my muzzle loader

Same thing that I have on my CVA. The closest side by side comparison that I could do is the Nikon to my 3-9x50 VX-2. I took the Nikon off of the rifle I planned to put the VX-2 on and was able to take them outside right at dusk and the VX-2 was a little brighter than the Nikon.

Yeah, I'm probably only going to get to use it a handful of times a year. Thing is, depending on how things work out I might go with the smoke pole over my slug gun during our general firearms season, so it might get more use than I'm initially planning... Glad to hear the Bushnell has worked well for you.

Yeah, I'm probably only going to get to use it a handful of times a year. Thing is, depending on how things work out I might go with the smoke pole over my slug gun during our general firearms season, so it might get more use than I'm initially planning... Glad to hear the Bushnell has worked well for you.

There's what I do here in Indiana. I haven't used a shotgun in 4-5 years while deer hunting.

I have a Vortex Diamondback on mine and have absolutely hammed that scope (I have fallen as well as bounced it off trees and rocks) and it has maintained zero.

I have had a Bushnell Sportsman on my muzzleloader for over 10 years. It is just a fixed 4x32. Always holds zero, never fogs, and makes for a handy package on my Knight MK85. I think I paid $25.00 for it at Cabelas when I got it. As far as shooting light, my Bushnell Sportsman is no Leupold, as I own that as well. I have never had any problems with seeing late into the evening or early in the morning with the cheaper scope. Keeping in mind that this is my opinion, I like my Bushnell Sportsman over my Bushnell Banner purely because of eye relief. My eye is almost kissing the Bushnell Banner no matter what the magnification setting its on.

I love the Leupold muzzleloader line. I have the 3-9 with the Firedot ML reticle. It’s fantastic.

I had the Diamondback HP on a separate 308 rifle. It was ok. But I “downgraded” to a VX1 3-9 on it too.

Personally, I’m much happier with a VX1 3-9 than a Diamondback 4-16.

Last edited:
Alot of hunters in MN use their MLs in the shotgun area too.

Personally, I have had a Leupold Ultimate Slam 3-9x40, first on my TC and now on my Knight. It has proven to hold up very well. I use Warne Maxima QD rings and it returns to zero very well when I need to take it off depending on the season/area I am hunting.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tinhunter
Back