Caribou Gear Tarp

Pronghorn First Timer Research

kurtm2323

Like many others on here I'm trying my hand at Pronghorn for the first time. I'm curious about Wyoming Unit 20 and if anyone has had any luck with this unit? I'm taking my dad out this year and am planning on doing truck camping. We have zero issues walking as far as we need to. Wyoming doesn't seem to have very good public access with only having 1 PP, are there any other states that would be good for access without Points? Maybe Montana? Thanks all!

Hunters are successful in Antelope Hunt Area (HA) 20, but it takes some effort and planning as the access to public lands is not easy. Access to private land while not impossible, can be doable, a person just has to spend time contacting landowners, etc. Hunt Area 22 (east of Interstate 25) is similar when it comes to access, but opens a couple weeks earlier on Oct 1 vs. Oct 15 when HA 20 opens.

A friend of mine had nonresident family members hunt HA 20 a couple years ago and they could not hunt until later in the season and they were successful, just had to be persistent.

ClearCreek

Last edited:
.... Access to private land while not impossible, can be doable, a person just has to spend time contacting landowners, etc. ....

ClearCreek

Don't the landowners get tired of people contacting them about permission to hunt? I know I probably would.

Don't the landowners get tired of people contacting them about permission to hunt? I know I probably would.

Yep, especially when people try to contact them during an actual hunting season, which is very discourteous with all the work they have to do. A lot of them won't even answer their phone if they don't know exactly who is calling them. As far as the OP wanting to know about unit 20, most of the antelope are on the private ranches on the eastern 1/3 of the unit and the limited accessible public land on the south end of the unit gets hammered opening week. If he looks to the single digit units well east of there he'll see that several can be drawn with one PP and that have decent public land along with a number of WIHAs to hunt that also open up adjoining public lands that would otherwise be landlocked if they weren't in that program.

Thanks for info everyone! It's frustrating doing the research and never having any experience with Pronghorn and where to find them exactly. Some people say, they're everywhere but I find that hard to believe. I've looked at just about every possible unit that we'd be able to draw and just get nervous with it. I'm taking my dad so have a little pressure to make sure its a fun worth while hunt. By that I mean, we don't want to ride around in our truck and get out and shoot an antelope, we want to spend time on the terrain and learn something about the animal and the high desert. We both like to get away from the crowds and like most hunters, would rather not see orange hats every couple hundred yards.

An antelope hunt is what you make it. Even on limit public land/limited access you can have a fun hunt. Go the last two weeks of the season,have your GPS with Wyoming chip and have fun.

. . . I'm taking my dad so have a little pressure to make sure its a fun worth while hunt. . .

Having lost my father (aka outdoorsman buddy) this December, from my perspective, going with dad is a worthwhile hunt with or without pronghorn.

I think you could likely get a "better" unit with your single point. Are you committed to unit 20?

Willing to pay for the "special"?

An antelope hunt is what you make it. Even on limit public land/limited access you can have a fun hunt. Go the last two weeks of the season,have your GPS with Wyoming chip and have fun.

That right there; the only wrong decision is to not go. Enjoy the experience for whatever it is don’t burden yourself with expectations it’ll be fantasticer (yeah I made that up) that way for you and your dad!

If you want seclusion from other hunters go later in the season or really early, Scout the area a couple days to get bucks picked out (you won’t have much company) and cap em first thing Monday morning. I consider scouting part of the hunt if you don’t then late it is!

As my fellow Michigander said above the single-digit units that you can get w/ 1 PP are nice... hint...

Good luck that’s awesome you’re going w/ yer dad!

I'm definitely not committed to Unit 20 but would rather not use the special draw. We picked Pronghorn this year because its a more cost worthy hunt(have a wedding and honeymoon to Alaska to pay for). And I agree completely with what everyone is saying about going with my dad! I know we'll have a great time, but he's just put me in so many good hunting spots over the years it's my turn to return the favor and show him how much I appreciate it! Thank you for the "hints" I will definitely take them into consideration. I've debated doing exactly what both of you suggested, from going in way early to going the last week or so of season. Leaning towards the going early as the whitetail rut in PA is like a holiday for my dad, would hate to make him have to decide between the two.

Having lost my father (aka outdoorsman buddy) this December, from my perspective, going with dad is a worthwhile hunt with or without pronghorn.

Agreed. Enjoy the time, the hunt will just be icing on the cake...

took my first antelope hunt in 2017 with zero points . hunted a limited access unit and had a blast the scouting was as much fun as the hunt . Do your home work put scouting time in and you will have fun and most likely harvest an animal. I would also like to add. take time and support the local economy visit local shops and get to know the host who take care of us while we are hunting. Yes most of us try do these trip on a budget and get by as cheap as we can but if the small towns were not scattered in the middle of no where most of us would never try to take a hunting trip like this .

Back