Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Hunting Africa

Kiwi

I'm researching hunting in Africa but cant find a hunt that I'm 100% happy with. It is easy to find the normal safari's but I want one more like a OYO / DIY type hunt (but with a guide) i.e. a challenge hunt that is also 'authentic', fair chase and wont break the bank. I'm really looking for a true 'old school' African experience and if I shoot one animal that represented an African adventure Id be more that happy.

Anyone do a hunt like this?

There are a couple guys that run backpack hunts in Namibia. I looked into them a while back. If I was going alone or with a mate, that's the hunt I would do next. Zebra, klipies, gemsbok, kudu and heartebeste if i remember right. Looked like a unique hunt to me.

Have you contacted the PHs and talked to them? You might find them accommodating even if your preferred type of hunt is not on their website.

I’ll keep you posted JLdemo. If I do hunt Africa it will be July 2019.

My 15 yr old son, new 30 yr old son-in-law and I are just starting to plan a South African plains game hunt for July of 2019 as well. We should compare notes along the way.

Having worked in Africa for 4 years, I hunted extensively in 3 different countries and made some great friends and contacts. My good friend Bossie Mostart runs a great outfit in South Africa and can tailor a trip to suit your needs. He’s the most versatile PH I know. I’ve hunted with him plenty and can even be a go between to help you with the specifics of booking, payment, etc.

Vikingsguy - happy to share notes. Ive done a bit research already on ‘standard’ hunts and the best place I found was a low key operation in Namibia. I meet the outfitter, who basically has a hunting operation for a few months a year on his large ranch. I can send you his details if you like.

Jeffpg - does your contact offer backpack hunts in wilderness areas?

Vikingsguy - happy to share notes. Ive done a bit research already on ‘standard’ hunts and the best place I found was a low key operation in Namibia. I meet the outfitter, who basically has a hunting operation for a few months a year on his large ranch. I can send you his details if you like.

Jeffpg - does your contact offer backpack hunts in wilderness areas?

Yes, we have discussed this in the past, and he can certainly do this.
I would actually be interested in doing this type of hunt there myself.
Bossie’s the guy I’d choose to do it with too.

Thanks for the offer re: name, but due to some other related logistics, we are pretty much locked in to South Africa.

Having worked in Africa for 4 years, I hunted extensively in 3 different countries and made some great friends and contacts. My good friend Bossie Mostart runs a great outfit in South Africa and can tailor a trip to suit your needs. He’s the most versatile PH I know. I’ve hunted with him plenty and can even be a go between to help you with the specifics of booking, payment, etc.

Good to have a direct relationship connection when traveling half way around the world. Would love to hear more about this guy on the forum or PM. We are a pretty laid back crew so would be good to have a personality fit.

I spoke with Bossie about this today and he said he is eager to do this hunt and has the place in mind for it. It’s a property that I hunted for klipspringer with him, and they were very abundant there. It’s a rocky, mountainous area and leopard are also present, along with a variety of other species. It is a private property that is owned by a awesome elderly gentleman who still hikes the hills and is in incredible physical condition. He has always allowed almost zero trespass on his place and Bossie has exclusive access.

Here’s a link to LBGS

http://www.lbgsafaris.com/

Thomas McIntyre has written about DIY African hunts in, IIRC, Cameroon. So there are options if one really wanted to DIY.

try crimpys(kiwi cartoonist)hosts hunts every winter,,just what youre after,,when my pocket gets a bit of spare cash ill be joining him

Thanks for the suggestions 1pointer and Les. I’ve read about DIY in Cameroon but it seems like you need a lot of time on the ground to arrange the permits etc, which I don’t have. And Les, crimpys tours would be great fun I bet but not sure if he does wildernesss backpack type hunts, which is what I’m looking at. I might get in touch and check.

FWIW the best option I found so far is prohunt I’m Namibia. 10 days private land backpack hunting in the Erongo Mountains.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back